News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Rebuilding Transmission

Started by DylanFan52, September 21, 2017, 09:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DylanFan52

Since the shop has the engine and trans out doing a frame off restoration on a '69 Series 62 I decided to have the transmission rebuilt after finding someone reputable to do it.  I want to do it right and install a new torque converter as a part of the rebuild even though I did not have problems with the transmission when I drove it approximately 150 miles after sitting for about 30 years.   I am having trouble locating a new or rebuilt torque converter.  If I can't find one it looks like I am going to roll the dice, rebuild the transmission, install the old torque converter and hope for the best.  Any suggestions as to where to obtain a converter or alternatives?  Thank you!

DylanFan52

bcroe

The old hydramatic didn't use a torque converter of the nature used
starting in 1964.  Going through the trans is good maintenance; with
luck the hard parts are in good shape, and you may need little more
than all the rubber seals.  Bruce Roe

DylanFan52

Thanks Bruce your response is helpful.  I did not know that about the torque converter from 64 on.  I do not want to take any shortcuts at this stage so I am going to get the master rebuild kit for the transmission, maybe I won't need all of the parts, and hopefully the torque converter will be OK.  I remember the body shop owner telling on of his employees that "you have never seen a torque converter like this one."  Now after reading your comment  I think I know what he meant.

Roger Zimmermann

That "torque converter" ist just a fluid coupling. Usually, only rubber seals are needed on that coupling; the bronze bushing may be worn but they are available.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

savemy67

Hello DylanFan52,

The following link has pictures of the fluid coupling to give you an idea of what it looks like.

http://www.charlietranny.com/Hydramaticparts.htm

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: savemy67 on September 22, 2017, 09:02:56 PM
Hello DylanFan52,

The following link has pictures of the fluid coupling to give you an idea of what it looks like.

This is how the first Hydramatic (till 1955) is looking like. However, the fluid coupling from the '56 to '63 Hydramatic is very similar. The other images from your link are less relevant.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101