News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2018 Cadillac ATS Convertibles (by coachbuilder)

Started by Rich S, September 24, 2017, 11:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich S

It is nice to see a "late model" Cadillac convertible available once again! The ATS looks very nice as a convertible. Many automotive journalists have commented that the ATS is the "best looking Cadillac model." The builder is Droptop Customs, L.L.C. from Florida, the successor corporation to Coach Builders, Limited, who has been making custom Cadillac convertibles since 1976. They also make Dodge Challenger convertibles and other vehicles into convertibles. The ATS convertible certainly looks competitive with many other factory made convertibles available today. Best of all, it's a Cadillac!

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Dan LeBlanc

If GM would build this, I would see it selling quite well!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

D.Smith

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 25, 2017, 08:01:34 AM

Agreed.  If Buick can sell a ragtop, so should Cadillac.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 25, 2017, 08:01:34 AM

I’d welcome a Cadillac convertible to the lineup much more than another crossover myself BUT I don’t think it would sell quite well.  Convertible sales have declined significantly in the last 10-15 years.  Adding a convertible or sports car would be more about trying to soften a stodgy "old man land yacht sedan" image the brand may still have with younger buyers.

Rich S

I think a well-designed ATS Convertible, such as this one, would sell quite well--better than a convertible model for many other brands. Cadillac convertibles are "iconic," and they are associated with songs, famous people and they have a loyal following of Cadillac owners. It seems to me the cars in the pictures would probably look even better if the chrome at the top of the doors and under the rear window continued around the base of the convertible top (I think Audi does that with their convertibles, for example) although I cannot see the detail too well with the pictures.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

TJ Hopland

What recent years did they offer a convertible?   And was it a lower or upper range model?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Rich S on September 25, 2017, 11:20:40 AM
I think a well-designed ATS Convertible, such as this one, would sell quite well--better than a convertible model for many other brands. Cadillac convertibles are "iconic," and they are associated with songs, famous people and they have a loyal following of Cadillac owners.

Lots of things used to be "iconic" but that doesn't mean the interest or demand is there today.  As I posted, I'd welcome a Cadillac convertible to the lineup BUT don’t think it would sell that well.  It's a different market right now.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 25, 2017, 11:27:49 AM
What recent years did they offer a convertible?   And was it a lower or upper range model?

Cadillac's last factory convertible was the XLR (2004-2009) and before that it was the Allante (1987-1993).  Unfortunately, both models sold well below expectations.

Chas

Leased a 2001 Corvette Coupe when new. Time came to give it back and I leased a 2004 Corvette Convertible. The ride and handling between the two was like night and day! Cowl shake, general skittishness when taking an off ramp at speed, the rear dancing out at the most inappropriate moments. I only draw the distinction between the two cars because they were both engineered by GM and built on GM assembly lines. If the factory engineers have a hard time getting it right, I can only imagine what the convertible conversion companies come up with. That steel roof is an integral part of the stressed body, more so on a car without a full frame. There is more involved here than just taking a sawz-all to some metal and cobbling up a few trim pieces.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

59-in-pieces

Rich,
Thanks for the pics.
The car looks like my XLR on steroids - same color - and I like it ( more places for peeps to sit).
However, the top bow placement isn't quite right to keep the sleek lines.
The bows are too sharply prominent and need to be more padded to soften the lines.
There needs to be a couple straps - each side of the rear window - to keep that area from sagging.
Purchasing a Cadillac should reflect something new in design (maybe a hint of iconoclasm) - I don't recall anybody saying they would kick a CIEL out of their garage - although didn't have a "for Real Top" when debuted - didn't have to, to catch the excitement of the concept and design.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Caddyjack

Cadillac needs a convertible in the line-up. All the other luxury car companies have them. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. It's been 41 years since Cadillac offered a factory convertible that was more than a two-seater. Perhaps it's time.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

59-in-pieces

Jack,
Nice stable.
I agree - a rag top is missing - but not just to keep up with the Jones'.
A retractable top for a 4 seater would have the best of both the rag top and closed car worlds.
If GM could figure out the ORIGAMI for the XLR - Jack you know what I mean - shouldn't be that tough for a 4 seater - longer trunk and a gr8 silhouette.
Reserve one for me.
Have fun,
Steve B
S. Butcher

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Caddyjack on September 25, 2017, 07:52:31 PM
Cadillac needs a convertible in the line-up. All the other luxury car companies have them. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.

The German brands like Audi, BMW and Mercedes do still offer convertibles (I wonder if it has something to do with the popularity of convertibles in Europe?) but neither Infiniti nor Lexus currently has a convertible.  Neither do other luxury brands like Acura, Genesis, Lincoln or Volvo.

It will be interesting to see what body styles the future CT5 or CT3 will be available in or what form the "flagship" model will take.  My bet is still on some sort of sports car for the flagship which could include a convertible version.

Rich S

Drop Top Customs has added a few different photos (hit the arrow buttons to see several views) of their ATS Convertible model:

http://www.droptopcustoms.com/showroom/cadillac/
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

2manycars

Quote from: Chas on September 25, 2017, 01:55:36 PM
Leased a 2001 Corvette Coupe when new. Time came to give it back and I leased a 2004 Corvette Convertible. The ride and handling between the two was like night and day! Cowl shake, general skittishness when taking an off ramp at speed, the rear dancing out at the most inappropriate moments. I only draw the distinction between the two cars because they were both engineered by GM and built on GM assembly lines. If the factory engineers have a hard time getting it right, I can only imagine what the convertible conversion companies come up with. That steel roof is an integral part of the stressed body, more so on a car without a full frame. There is more involved here than just taking a sawz-all to some metal and cobbling up a few trim pieces.
I'm surprised you had that issue with the '04 Corvette. The C5 series was designed from the ground up, first, as a convertible (even though the coupe was actually marketed first). The coupes and hardtops are modified from that. Usually it is the other way around, but not so with the C5. I own a 2001 Corvette convertible from new, and it is rock solid, all the time. Even at age 17.

Agreed though, that the unibody Cadillac would require considerable reinforcement and stiffening, having been designed as a four door sedan.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

2manycars

The ATS convertible looks real nice. It'll have a niche market though. Not nearly as high a seller as the sedans.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on September 25, 2017, 03:47:13 PM
Rich,
Thanks for the pics.
The car looks like my XLR on steroids - same color - and I like it ( more places for peeps to sit).
However, the top bow placement isn't quite right to keep the sleek lines.
The bows are too sharply prominent and need to be more padded to soften the lines.
There needs to be a couple straps - each side of the rear window - to keep that area from sagging.
Purchasing a Cadillac should reflect something new in design (maybe a hint of iconoclasm) - I don't recall anybody saying they would kick a CIEL out of their garage - although didn't have a "for Real Top" when debuted - didn't have to, to catch the excitement of the concept and design.
Have fun,
Steve B.

Steve -- very much agree with you on the top.  It looks terrible -- like a
cheap conversion.  Also, as another previous poster pointed out
there is more to making a convertible than just chopping the top off. 
Lots of body structural engineering to get it right.

For example, the 1955 convertibles had a massive brace on the
frame that also added 500 extra pounds of weight.  I'm not saying
that's a solution for today, but it worked in 1955.  There are more
elegant solutions and more modern materials than back in the 50's
that can be used.

However, I doubt most "conversion coach" builders have the
know-how to do that.  Cadillac could, of course, but I don't
believe the marketplace would respond with sufficient sales to
make it worthwhile.  The XLR was a great looking car, but quickly
developed a reputation for many troublesome problems.  Same
with the Allante.

Being as pricey as they were back then, that didn't fly well with
the public and the equation high price + low quality = slim sales.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

James Landi

"...being as pricey as they were back then, that didn't fly well with
the public and the equation high price + low quality = slim sales."

Mike

Hi Mike,

I respectfully disagree with part of your assessment. I have owned a 1990 Allante for 12 years, and just purchased an XLR in June.   Yes--- they both are limited edition cars, but both vehicles are durable sports cars, and were designed to be "driven."   Over time, the Allante repairs parts became much cheaper as these cars' parts were being recycled.  The XLR is now in the "red" zone where there are few available for salvage parts, and certain parts prices are extremely expensive  "supply and demand."  In spite of the concerns,  I purchased the XLR at a premium used car price because it is a highly durable sports car, carefully assembled, and engineered with precision.  I urge all members to take a test drive in one of the XLRs that are for sale-- they are amazingly comfortable, have an extraordinary ride, and make a fabulous "appearance" in any setting-- somewhat similar to the Eldorado models-- striking from any angle.  At the very least, do take a look at the "Car-Fax" for the cars that are presently for sale. These cars, even the high mileage ones with over 100K of use that are now over a decade old, pull down a premium price--- and for very justifiable reasons.    Thanks for reading my reaction Mike, and happy day to you,   James

Tpicks55

I also would like to see a convertible in the line.  Who can't be jealous of seeing a beautiful woman in a new Cadillac convertible.  It makes you take a second look.  I for one think Cadillac is on the decline as it is trying to sell to the younger generation with SUV's and giant Denali s. It was the more affluent and/or  older generation that made Cadillac.   I drove a new Continental and it is just as Cadillac use to be.  Big, super ride, lots of amenities and it does carry a good price .  My next car is a Continental I'm sorry to say.   Tony
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Tpicks55 on December 17, 2017, 11:56:01 AM
I also would like to see a convertible in the line.  Who can't be jealous of seeing a beautiful woman in a new Cadillac convertible.  It makes you take a second look.  I for one think Cadillac is on the decline as it is trying to sell to the younger generation with SUV's and giant Denali s. It was the more affluent and/or  older generation that made Cadillac.   I drove a new Continental and it is just as Cadillac use to be.  Big, super ride, lots of amenities and it does carry a good price .  My next car is a Continental I'm sorry to say.   Tony

Like Cadillac and so many other brands, Lincoln's successes of late seem to primarily come from their crossover and SUV models and not the cars.  Sales of the new Continental in the U.S. so far this year are not significantly higher than Cadillac's pricier CT6 (10,796 versus 9,701 through November) and are over 4,000 fewer than Cadillac's aging and on its way out, although restyled for 2018, XTS.

If, like Lincoln, Cadillac only had one full-size sedan instead of two I think the CT6 would be doing notably better than Continental even with the CT6's higher pricing.  None of them are doing that great, though, as the market just isn’t there for full-size sedans as it once was.