News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 fleetwood original paint

Started by 60kaddydaddy, November 14, 2017, 10:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60kaddydaddy

I have a 60 fleetwood with 59,000 miles.Paint is original but cracking in spots and few scratches and nicks. No rust or dents all original metal. Am I best to just leave it or should I repaint?

Jeepers Creepers

I'd leave it as is... Only original once, wear the bumps and marks with pride.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

fishnjim

Clean the paint and keep it waxed good, especially where it's cracking.   Water can get in and cause rust and
lift the paint.   Minimize sitting in the sun.   

MB49Caddy

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

jdemerson

Mr. Blasco,

You can find a lot of information on the web about restoring finishes on old cars, and removing or minimizing defects without repainting. I like Maguire's; and Griott's and others are also excellent. They can provide advice and video demonstrations, and even detailed instructions for an experienced body man/detailer. For example, check out:

How to Professionally Remove Paint Defects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPdShfeakzw

As you will see, there's a lot of advertising here, but there is also information that is useful to whoever is doing the work. It is only a starting point and you will find additional good videos.

I concur with others that you should restore and preserve what you have, and not do a repaint. 

Others on this message board may point you to additional excellent resources.

Please keep us posted on how your project progresses.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

WTL

Just thinking outside the box, the paint is original, what about vinyl wrap?  They seem to continually come up with new options, I don't know if any would look good or not, but it wouldn't ruin the original finish. 

59-in-pieces

John,
Thanks for the link.
I know I had a feeling for how to do it, but I instead I learned allot.
I didn't mind being pimped by Meguiar's throughout the video.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher