News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Changing the exterior color of my 67 Eldorado - my dilemma

Started by www.eldorado-seville.com, November 17, 2017, 12:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

www.eldorado-seville.com

Hi,
I'm currently restoring my 28k miles all original 1967 Eldorado.
The car still has its factory applied paint in Grecian white. Unfortunately the paint is too far gone to save it. The Eldorado is now at the bodyshop where it gets completely disassembled and striped to bare metal. All the original paint will be coming off completely.

Here is my car in the shop - short before disassembly started.

Atlantic Blue Firemist...

Originality has almost been the most important factor when I restored any of my cars in the past and until recently I would have never even considered a color change.
For me personally Grecian White is not exactly my favorite color and I think other colors fit the Eldorado better.
My Eldorado has a black interior so every exterior color was possible.
If I could go back to 1967 and order my brand new Eldorado, it would be one in "Atlantis Blue Firemist", like it was used in advertising.
Of course everybody has his/her favorite colors which cant be debated, and my rant here is more about to get your general thoughts about changing the color of a car and how much it hurts originality and the cars value, although I will never sell the car...

All work is done by one of the best restoration shops with no costs spared.

You can find a lot of pictures of the restoration here: http://www.eldorado-seville.com/files/67newpaint.php and here http://www.eldorado-seville.com/mycars/67eldo/restoration/

When cars are judged at the GN they do not get point deductions for color changes if it was a factory available color - is this correct?
Should I sacrifice some of the cars originality to get it in the color I like most? Or should I do everything to make it 100% correct again? (With a new paint job its no longer 100% correct anyways)

Thanks for your thoughts and input. I have a couple more weeks to decide which color it should get...
Gerald Loidl
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1966 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1967 Cadillac DeVille
1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado
1974 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://www.eldorado-seville.com
http://www.cadillac-bigmeet.com

collector

YES, change the color! If it's done well, you will never have any issues. I did it on two cars and could not have been happier. I did however paint them in single stage acrylic lacquer, so you couldn't tell if the car's had been repainted or not. I find most 2 stage paints to have more waves than the queen of England. I personally would never paint a car with a 2 stage process but you have to find an old school master, that knows how to paint with it. If done correctly, not even the judges at the CLC Grand Nationals will know. It's always worked for me! Good luck with you adventure.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

As stated, no deduction will be made for any color originally available on any given model within any given model year.

Only item left to consider is if/when it comes time to sell, the color change will be a turn off to some buyers.

Being the car is a 28,000 miles example and if the interior is in high grade condition, this is an issue that should be pondered carefully.

Some of the areas where original paint which could have been preserved (such as under the decklid) would also need to be color changed and whatever originality that could have been preserved will be permanently lost. 

If the project began with, for example, a well worn 100,000 mile car needing a full-blown restoration in & out, this would dramatically change the conversation.

A car with this kind of mileage - if well preserved otherwise - such a car is the last I would ever consider doing a color change to.

One man's opinion.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

60eldo

White is georgious, DONT change the color,,,or spend 12,000 to change the color and loose 10,000 when you sell it
Jon. Klu

bcroe

A real beauty all right; not my color.  Well broken in means past 200,000
miles here.  But it may need a trans (and brakes, and tires, and timing
chain set) refresh to be a reliable driver.  And get a controller for that
switch pitch trans.  Bruce Roe

savemy67

Hello Gerald,

Your post includes three points that make me favor changing the color.

You state that: the original paint is too far gone to preserve, so originality is diminished once the paint is stripped; you will never sell the car, so resale value is not your top priority; you don't like Grecian White.

So what are you waiting for?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

J. Skelly

I wish my Emperor Blue '68 (similar to Atlantic Blue Firemist) had paint half as presentable as what your '67 currently has.  If it were me, I'd look for an example in the color you want and sell this one to someone who appreciates it in white.  You might find one on the internet in a color combination you think you want, and that can help you decide before finalizing a color change.  However, when you go to sell it eventually when you get old or need money or lose interest, the color change will turn off some prospective buyers.  Mine has a white leather interior with blue dash and carpeting, and I really like the substantial contrast.  A guy I'm acquainted with had a '67 in Grecian Gold with white buckets and black vinyl top.  He really wanted a triple black car, and seriously considered repainting that car black.  I told him the contrasting exterior colors of the paint and top, with a contrasting interior, really made the car stand out.  Good luck with whatever you decide.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

www.eldorado-seville.com

Thank you all for your input! I can agree with everything said in this discussion.
I think I will honor the cars history and keep the original color.
Personally I would probably never buy a car where the color was changed during restoration and the value will be higher if the car still has the original color.
Gerald Loidl
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1966 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1967 Cadillac DeVille
1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado
1974 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://www.eldorado-seville.com
http://www.cadillac-bigmeet.com

A wise decision- and one that you will not regret.

Looking forward to seeing the final result.

I concur with 60eldo white is an attractive color for an Eldorado.

76eldo

In CLC judging they do not look at paint codes on the data plate.
I'd stick with a proper Cadillac color and make the car the way you want it.

I'm in the same boat with a 66 Toronado. It's white with an excellent black deluxe interior.
It's going to need paint and I really like some of the other colors that Olds offered that year. When it gets painted it probably won't be white.

If you like 67/70 Eldos check out the thread on my 1970 I just got.
It's pretty nice.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

gkhashem

Quote from: www.eldorado-seville.com on November 18, 2017, 12:37:05 PM
Personally I would probably never buy a car where the color was changed during restoration and the value will be higher if the car still has the original color.

Actually you answered the question properly all by yourself. I also would never buy a car with the color having been changed from the original color unless I got a very very good deal on a car in excellent condition. Here you have a low mileage car with an excellent original interior. All you are doing is decreasing the potential buyers and the demand for the car.

A color change would only decrease it's value. There are many cars that are very original low mileage cars with colors I am not crazy about. But if I do not hate the color I can learn to love the car. If I hate the color, I will pass and keep looking.

Life would be easy if we could find the car exactly as we dream. I am more than happy to find a great original and marvel at how the car survived in such a state.

You made the right choice.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Chuck Swanson

Agree with George., Eric and other on orig color (I too generally avoid buying anything with color change).  They are plenty of '67s out there as I search all the time for anything 50s-73, so who knows, you may come across one in that color and buy it too, maybe a driver version with higher mileage :)  Chuck

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Scot Minesinger

I do not agree that a color change diminishes the value on a 1967 Eldorado.  On a more expensive investor grade type of vehicle such as a 1959 Eldorado or V-16's of the 1930's this may be the case.  The 1967 Eldorado is awesome, but a frame off perfectly restored one is not in the price category where this would be a major issue.

The color of a perfectly restored car in the under $50k range (probably would not sell for more than that even it cost way more than that to restore it), is more important that it be appealing than original. 

I would change the color to one you like, but of course a 1967 Eldorado color.

While keeping this car the original color is claimed to keep your options open by retaining more value via original resemblance, a good color will keep more options open.

Color of a car is very important, no matter the car and condition, it would be very unusual for me to ever buy a car with a color I did not like, unless I planned to repaint it.  One time in 1997 I bought a 1995 RWD Fleetwood with a vinyl top for a daily driver with the idea of removing the vinyl top, and it cost a lot to remove and re-paint, but Wow!, so glad I did.

gkhashem

OK say you want to change the color.

How much would it cost and cost to do it right? I bet at least  $6,000 maybe up to $12,000. (Let's leave out Maaco and the do it yourself crowd)

Nothing looks worse than a poor cheap paint job. You get that and you will immediately lose 10K in car value. You think white has no curb appeal how about a poor paint job? Especially on a dark color. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Door jambs, ends, sills, hinges, firewall, bottom of trunk lid. Remove all chrome, emblems, side markers lights, etc, etc. 

Now keep in mind those in the group of leave it the same I think are thinking in the terms of an excellent, no rust, great interior, mechanically excellent, low mileage car. Not a total restoration candidate.

It defies logic to change it, but that's why we have vanilla and chocolate. Go for it and leave out about many potential future buyers.

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Roger Zimmermann

As I changed the exterior colors from 2 cars, I cannot blame you if you do it. However, I would not paint a car dark blue with a black trim.
As it seems that you will keep the original color, my last remark may not apply anymore.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Scot Minesinger

Whatever color you repaint it, get rid of the stainless steel door edge guards.  Those ruin the line of the car.  Look at the dark blue color in brochure and notice no door edge guards - part of the reason it looks great. 

Certainly agree it has to be a great paint job, or no sense in even bothering otherwise.  Yes a color change does cost more.  That saying "the quality will be enjoyed long after the price is forgotten", certainly applies here.  You are not restoring this car to earn money, there are way easier ways to do that.

Blue with black trim was popular in late 1960's.  Look at the 1968 Fleetwood brochure, dark blue with black top.  This car does not have a vinyl top, so should be less of an issue.  It would be period correct, as opposed to say a black car with tan interior - which is more of thing now.

BTW a slick top is so cool.  The great lines and rocker moldings will make just about any high quality paint job color look great!

Enjoy your Cadillac! 

D.Smith

Quote from: www.eldorado-seville.com on November 18, 2017, 12:37:05 PM
Thank you all for your input! I can agree with everything said in this discussion.
I think I will honor the cars history and keep the original color.

Well said!    :)

59-in-pieces

Gerald,
I agree with Scott
As he wrote, "I do not agree that a color change diminishes the value on a 1967 Eldorado.  On a more expensive investor grade type of vehicle such as a 1959 Eldorado or V-16's of the 1930's this may be the case.  The 1967 Eldorado is awesome, but a frame off perfectly restored one is not in the price category where this would be a major issue."

Scott is so polite - NO ONE - in IMHO - would ask for, or expect a $10,000 reduction in price simply because the color of this car was not consistent with its Data Tag, at at the end of the day - you can say NO.
I personally like the deep blue with the Firemist metallic, as the color and sparkle sets off the lines and design of the body- way better than white.

I do collect 59 Eldo Biarritz - one is now painted Seminole Red, a Cadillac color of 59 but not an Eldorado color.  The other 2 are both currently Olympic White, an Eldo color, which I intend to change one to Gotham Gold and the other to Kensington Green (metallic) - each a Cadillac color of 59, but not an Eldorado color.

I strongly believe in MY enjoyment of the cars, and certainly do not worry about what others may think, now or later - as I or my sons will "never" sell the cars.

You have made up your mind, and it would be presumptuous to think that anything I may say should change your mind.
Since when should living your life with personal enjoyment be driven by a consensus of opinions from folks you don't even know.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

There are different ways of enjoying the old car hobby. For some, it may come from personalizing their car to individual preference; for others, it is the satisfaction of preserving all original aspects of the car to the best degree possible.

In life there are benefits and penalties associated with most any major course of action and those factors must be reconciled according to individual preferences/concerns/priorities- both long and short term. In order to make and informed decision, the contingencies should be known.

It would be a disservice to the OP to ignore the facts - pro or con.