News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Havana Question

Started by Chuck Patton, January 08, 2018, 09:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Patton

Good Morning

During my morning bicycle ride I followed this car.  When my muscles reached the vehicle the owner was absent. Is this a year/model color? Thank You Chuck
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Cadillac Jack 82

1957 Series 62 Coupe Deville.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

35-709

They did have an Amethyst Poly in 1957 but that doesn't look quite like it, too dark.  That's just good old-fashioned purple.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

BJM

Chuck, your title interested me. It is on my bucket list to visit Cuba.  Are you telling me you are in Havana as a 'snowbird' or at least on an extended vacation where you can ride a bike around?

z3skybolt

I am not Chuck,

But..... President Obama changed the rules so that Americans may "visit" Cuba as long as the purpose is " to aid the Cuban people".  A very loose definition.  My son's fiance and her sister spent 2 weeks there earlier this year...  sunbathing and drinking beer.  Using Yankee dollars to "aid" the Cuban People.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Bobby B

Quote from: z3skybolt on January 08, 2018, 03:21:37 PM
I am not Chuck,
But..... President Obama changed the rules so that Americans may "visit" Cuba as long as the purpose is " to aid the Cuban people".  A very loose definition.  My son's fiance and her sister spent 2 weeks there earlier this year...  sunbathing and drinking beer.  Using Yankee dollars to "aid" the Cuban People.
Bob

That's the Correct definition of "Aid" according to the "Urban" Dictionary  ;D ;D ;D
                                                                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with the others that is not a standard offering 1957 Cadillac color.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

The Tassie Devil(le)

Being in Cuba since 1957, it has probably had multiple paint jobs.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   And with Chuck riding a bicycle, he must have learned from his breakdown in the Cadillac that bicycles don't break down on their own.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Young

This car looks in remarkable condition for Cuba. Most I have seen pictures of there are basket cases cobbled together and poorly painted.

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Bill Young on January 11, 2018, 09:29:43 PM
This car looks in remarkable condition for Cuba. Most I have seen pictures of there are basket cases cobbled together and poorly painted.

True, on a trip to Havana some years ago I saw lots of US cars that were permanently parked and others that I called the "walking wounded".  Nonetheless, I also saw quite a few '40s and '50s US cars that were in fine shape too.  There was a 53 or so Cadillac convertible parked in front of the restaurant where my group had lunch one day.  I was able to talk to the owner who raised the hood and showed me its original motor (though painted red) which worked well and he said the Hydramatic worked well too.  He did say it had a Russian carburetor and alternator.   Although he said it was a '53, it was hard to tell the exact year because he replaced the original one-piece windshield with a '49 two-piece windshield and the grill and parking lights were not '53.  Also, one day I took a '51 Olds convertible taxi which was in good shape, though the driver said it had a Russian engine. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

kkkaiser

i have read some of these beast have toyota engines or other russian junk stuff f because they cant get parts from the US due to embargo