News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A Typical Winter Picture From 1958

Started by Jon S, January 18, 2018, 06:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

I wouldn't take mine out in the snow!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

The Tassie Devil(le)

Back in those days, it was just another car.   But, at least it had a good heater.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

Great authentic photo , But where are the snow chains ? I do see those nice snow tires . Remember those days when it was time to get the snow tires on the car . Every body owned a set of snow tires and chains if you lived in the northern part of the country . I haven't thought about that in the last 40 years .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

fishnjim

They went just fine in winter without chains.  Its all about traction and controlling momentum.   Safety note; You don't want to be in an accident in an X-frame car without seat belts.   You tended to be launched through the windshield.   My 2 aunts left there face outlines on a Pontiac, on ice losing control going downhill. 
I doubt you could get a set of chains in the fender well on a coupe.   The tires barely fit in there.   Studded snow tires for sure, but not available in '58.   Slightly later.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It's hard to believe there was a time when these were "just" cars.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

e.mason

Maneuvering around in the snow was always interesting.  I think first came the chains.  Worked great in the snow and ice, until the snow melted.  Then you heard the clanging of the chains against the street.  Not a good idea to keep them on too long as they might break, then damage the body of the car.  Then came the snow tires.  A great improvement.  Gave a rougher ride, but greatly helped getting around.  Next came the studded tires.  I personally think they were overkill.  I think in some states they were and still might be illegal, as they would tear up the highways.  Didn't take long for the studs to wear down.  Then came the all weather tires that never had to be changed.  Combine this tires with a 4wd vehicle you were good to go.  Another factor was the weight of the vehicle.  Usually a heavy Cadillac, could get around easier then lighter cars.  I used to put sand bags in the trunk with snow tires.
Eric Mason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, can still get it done down here.   Retreads, relined shoes, both types that is.

All we can do is have our brake shoes relined for drum brakes.   No such thing as going to a shop and buying shoes for Cadillacs or LaSalles.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon