News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Diamondback Radials

Started by My Deville, January 22, 2018, 03:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My Deville

I'm considering the newly released Diamondback Auburn Radial in the 8.20x15 4inch W/W size for my 1949 Cadillac. Can anyone comment on this new release, the photos in the sales brochure don't show sufficient  detail in the tread and outer diameter pie crust area so some good photos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,   Brian

David Greenburg

Brian:

I am having Auburns installed on my ‘61 later this week (hopefully Thursday or Friday if the weather cooperates and it stops raining), and will be posting some pictures once that happens.  If that is not soon enough for you, perhaps you should try calling them and see if they can provide more detailed pictures.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Steve Passmore

Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

My Deville

David & Steve,
Thanks for responding I really would like your photos whenever you can take them. A little recap on your satisfaction is also appricated. For Steve, I requested detail photos from Diamondback and they declined my request.
Brian

David Greenburg

As I just mentioned on a parallel thread discussing the DB Auburns, I’m having mine installed Friday, and should have the opportunity to play with them and take pix on Saturday.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TJ Hopland

Quote from: My Deville on January 22, 2018, 08:34:09 PMI requested detail photos from Diamondback and they declined my request.

They took the time to respond saying that they won't send photos?   I can see them not responding to such a request but to take the time to say no?   Or did it look like some sort of automated form letter?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Steve Passmore

I doubt they have pictures of every one of their tyres actually fitted to cars?
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

My Deville

Steve & TJ,
My communication was via phone, don't recall the exact term the sales person used, but the answer was we don't have any. That's fine with me but I would think they would be better prepared launching a new product line. I was able to enlarge the photo from the supplier Steve forwarded and I didn't like what I saw. I was expecting the Pie Crust edge to have pointed edges like most tires of that era, these look to me more like a M&H drag slick in the pie crust area. Maybe I'm too picky but at $300 plus a copy I would like perfection.
Thanks again for your help.

Steve Passmore

You could be chasing a dream that's not out there Brian. If you look at this other link of a normal 700x15 Bias ply of the day it looks about the same to me.  I have a set of tyres on my 41 with the sharp shape your after but personally, I don't like them for that very reason, why? because they were made when Diamondback where putting whitewalls into light truck tyres.  They look far too commercial.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Driver8

Hi,

Thought I'd chime in for Brian and anyone else considering tires from Diamondback Classic. This is not specific to the particular tires you're looking for, but about the company and general product quality.

A couple years back, I wanted to replace my Vogues on the Seville. After research, I chose Diamondback because they were so flexible with customizing whitewall styles, size etc...

So, I ordered my set of tires, if I recall it was approx $1000 area shipped for set of 4. Not cheap, but the place does quality work and offers nice tire options.

When the tires arrived, I was very disappointed/upset by how far out the whitewall was from the center tire bead. It looked awful on my car and ruined the whole 'look' of the Cadillac.

I called in and explained my situation, they took a message and I received a call later that day... from the Owner of Diamondback. I went over everything again and voiced my dissatisfaction with the resulting appearance of my car. He explained that some brands of tires they use have large DOT data stamped around the bead, they use the backside and start the whitewall just outside of the DOT print as they are not allowed to remove/compromise it.

Without a fight or batting an eye, he said he understood everything and even told me that the guys shouldn't have put through my order knowing what the result would be with the particular tire that I myself chose.

He arranged to produce a new full set of tires with correct look. He only asked $60 to cover part of shipping and even told me to just keep the first new set of tires and do as I pleased with them, not required to be returned. In other words, he ate the whole thing. I'd guess it cost him at least $600-700 out of his pocket for both sets, maybe more to do this for me.

The quality of their whitewall is top notch. They scrub up and stay nice and bright white with little effort.

Attached are some pics of my Cadillac with the Diamondbacks Installed. I love the way the car looks and drives with them, and everywhere I go (besides the Cadillac in general), people comment on the whitewall tires... they love them :)

At least for me... Diamondback is a 1st Class operation all the way!

Mark~

Mark Allen  CLC # 28250
'79 Cadillac Seville  http://bit.ly/1VEbnNo
'15 Chrysler 300S AWD   https://ibb.co/2Z21vng
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited   http://bit.ly/1VE758Q

TJ Hopland

Cool story.  You don't hear things like that anymore.   $60 for a 'spare' set of tires is a pretty sweet deal.  If you don't need them I'm sure you could sell them to someone else that is ok with that look giving them a sweet deal and getting you a few bucks for some other parts our cars always seem to need. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Driver8

Quote from: TJ Hopland on January 27, 2018, 11:18:56 AM
Cool story.  You don't hear things like that anymore.   $60 for a 'spare' set of tires is a pretty sweet deal.  If you don't need them I'm sure you could sell them to someone else that is ok with that look giving them a sweet deal and getting you a few bucks for some other parts our cars always seem to need.

Well, that's exactly what I had intended to do with them, but... ughh, (my own fault), I stored the tires for a few months stacked without towels in between and the whitewalls got stained from the underside of the black tires. They are still brand new (80 miles on them), and can be sold to someone for maybe $250 who will run them with blackwalls since the black side is actually the original front of the tire.

And yes, you are so right.... you just dont get or hear of stuff like this any more these days. So nice to have something go that way for once.

mark~
Mark Allen  CLC # 28250
'79 Cadillac Seville  http://bit.ly/1VEbnNo
'15 Chrysler 300S AWD   https://ibb.co/2Z21vng
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited   http://bit.ly/1VE758Q

nysdarkblue

I have 225/75/15 aftermarket tires that resemble the original Uniroyal Royal Seal tires from Diamondback. I have had for about 7 months now on the car with no issues on ware. The thing is that they didn't get the gold stripe right to specs, making a little larger than the original. Still, I get a lot of compliments on them.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX