News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'59-'60 rear window trim clip

Started by David Greenburg, January 12, 2015, 03:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

WTB the retainer clip used to hold the rear window bottom molding on. This is the molding that runs from one rear quarter window to the other at the front edge of the trunk panel. I need the clip that goes closest to the front of the car, which is narrower than the other clips used on this molding.  I hope someone can help here. This is the last piece I need to complete reassembly of my exterior trim.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TDM59CDV

Hi David,
I have a 59 Sedan Series 62. Would the clip be the same on my car as what you are looking for?
Do you have a pic you could send?

Thank you
Terry

Grant Owen

David the clips you are looking for are a round cup style with a small 8g screw that holds them in place, if you can't get any ( they are usually rusted away ) use a washer correct diameter that the molding will slide into use 1 or two smaller washers to space it the correct distance make sure the screw is level with top washer to avoid any damage to the molding.

David Greenburg

Terry:

Given the very similar shape and configuration of the rear window trim on the coupe and at least the 6 window sedan, I think it is very likely that they use the same clip.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture. The original clip on the passenger side is disintegrated, and the driver side is already reassembled. The clip is smaller ( since the trim is narrower at this point) than the clips that  hold the central section of the trim.

Grant:

I've tried modifying a small universal spring clip. But the problem with that, as well as with using washers as you describe is that the stud, instead of being perpendicular to the head of the clip, is angled toward the rear of the car.  This is necessary in order to have clearance to get a nut on the end of the stud.

Thanks
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

JoeKarasinski

Is this the clip you are looking for? I'm looking for 1 too. The drivers side on mine turned to dust.

Grant Owen

The clip Joe shows is for the back of the moulding there are about 5 ,the front side ones (2 one each side) are like a round cup washer that is screwed in place with a 8g screw (does NOT have a stud )the screw is screwed down straight not on an angle the molding slides into these clips then the molding is lowered at the rear if the car is apart this moulding should be put on before the rear side window reveal moldings. I will try to find my NOS clips & post a pic. If you are wanting to install the moulding incorrectly with an angled stud use a front upper windshield moulding clip. I would not recommend this though as the 2 round clips have to lay straight.

David Greenburg

Grant:

You are correct; the clip I am looking for is smaller than what is in Joe's picture. I did not realize the OEM arrangement screwed in.  I guess my driver side has an improvised clip using a stud that is accessed (with some difficulty) through the access panel for the rear quarter window mechanism. So that is what I thought I was looking for. But that side is on and looks good, so I'm leaving that one  alone. 

Joe:

Are you looking for more of what's in the picture, or are you looking for the "front clip" that Grant describes?  Let's stay in touch about this. I'm hoping to inspect a collection of '59 parts this weekend that were inherited by a neighbor, and it sounds like there might be some of this kind of stuff.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

JoeKarasinski

I'm looking for 1 just like what I pictured, My car is a 4 window 4 door and that clip goes on the side lower molding nearest to where it joins the lower back glass molding. I think it is the same as the those on the that molding. I'd guess its probably different on coupes and 6 windows sedans. Thank you David.