News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac Convertible Front Door Glass

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, January 27, 2012, 03:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Hi All,

I don't know what happened but both of my door glass broke like a baseball was thrown threw them. The problem is that my car is in a garage, maybe the age and cold combo???????
Here is the question:
I bought a passengers door glass with frame.
I am able to get another passengers door glass. If i remove it from the channel, can I reverse it and put it into the drivers door glass frame? Will it fit?
I can't tell if the glass is flat.
Thanks
Jack
1961 series 62 convertible

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

No you cannot use the passenger door glass on the driver's side by flipping it. Just buy a new driver door glass piece from Cadillac USA Parts Supply. Or possibly McVey's.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Quentin Hall

The passenger side glass WILL fit in the driver side.  If the glass is an original piece (ie not a remake) look at the LOF symbol on the glass . All the glass is etched on the same side . So on one side of the car the logo will be inside and on the other it will be outside.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

quadfins

I concur with Quentin and Eric.

The glass is flat, and interchangeable. Quentin is also correct about the markings. the only thing to make sure of is whether or not they are tinted, to match the rest of the glass on the car.

Eric is right in that you can not flip the glass. It is just not physically possible (upside down, sideways, front-to-back???). Just install both plates the same. The only difference is in the chrome frame - each is side-specific, so make sure you get it right the first time, or you'll have to remove them and switch places.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Dan LeBlanc

If you're concerned about date coding and glass stamps, you can get glass correctly stamped from Auto City Classic. They just need the info from your current stamp. Otherwise, any glass shop can cut and fit a piece of AS2 tinted glass.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

I just can't find local glass stores that either carry or want to cut vintage glass anymore.
I might have to go with USA Cadillac.
I bought a passengers side on Ebay, supposed to be stock but had no markings and was clear, while rear windows are tinted.
I now have to find 2 pieces of matching front door glass. I am not concerned about markings, having them would be a plus but I am sure that one day a transfer sticker will be available to put on the glass.

Thanks
Jack

Dan LeBlanc

That's strange.  Shoot, if I had the pattern, I'd cut one and send it to you.
Dan LeBlanc

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Hi Dan,

it appears that in 2 separate incidents that my glass in both doors were hit with baseballs.
My glass in intact but I can't find a local shop that will cut glass.

Thanks
Jack

Dan LeBlanc

These guys should be able to do it for you . . .

http://glassrepairwestchester.com/

They also own Portland Glass up in ME/NH/VT - I was going to manage the location in West Lebanon, NH until immigration got in the way.

If they can't cut a piece of AS2 tinted, I'll be surprised.
Dan LeBlanc

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Paul Tesone

Call Vintage Glass in Tolland, CT...860-872-0018... be sure to have him etch the correct logo on the glass . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Jeffrey Burland

They're right up the street from me. Toll free (800) 889-3826  HTH, Jeff
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

Grant Owen

I wasn't aware that anyone was etching the Side Glass correctly I have made Silk screens to acid etch the Glass correctly , the attached picture is for side glass made in December (V), 1958 (N) Correct for 1959 , early 59 to past mid year production.

Your side Glass should read if early production AS 2 ?U (1960)    , late production AS 2 ?L (1961)
? = N Jan , X Feb , L March , G April , J May , I June , U July , T Aug , A Sept , Y Oct , C Nov , V Dec.

The month code differs for different years .