News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 Fleetwood 60-S Restoration/Renovation/Preservation

Started by olechesterfleetwood, September 18, 2012, 01:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olechesterfleetwood

Dear All:

I joined the forum today after purchasing my cousin's one-owner-from-new 64,000 mile Fleetwood.  I am very excited to keep the car in the family.  Before I commence any work, I wanted to get the forum's opinion and information on a few items:
1.  The car is completely original.  I am a fan of the preservation movement, but this car's exterior needs to be repainted to protect the integrity of the car.  What is the best paint source and who has the most accurate mixing codes, in the opinion of the forum?  The car does not need body work, other than a good sanding and perhaps a skim coat of filler in some places.  No rust out, no collision damage.
2. The interior is amazingly sound with the exception of  need for replacement of the foam in the seats and some seam separation on the seat panels between leather and cloth sections.  If I cannot repair this, does anyone have access to the fabric (black with silver threads- don't know the 1950's GM nomenclature for this) or a close match?  I don't want to gut the interior if it can be satisfactorily repaired and replaced as needed.
3.  I have enough old cars to know what one typically reconditions to get a car back on the road (the car has not run in 9 years, but was fastidiously mechanically maintained before that time).  In addition to fuel tank, clean fuel lines, brake soft parts, carb, ignition tune up, turning over the engine on the crank after loosening it up, does the club have any strong recommendations on essential refurbishment items on this car before buttoning it back up?  My cousin, who is a professional mechanic and who is very familiar with classic GM products, will be doing the work, but I want to make it as easy as I can for him.
4.  Other small parts- I need the 1958 Fleetwood-specific interior dome light and the "Sixty Special" script for the rear fender.  Best source on these?
Thanks and I look forward to posts.  I will keep you updated on progress.

John Robinson
1958 Fleetwood 60-S

Walter Youshock

Congratulations!  The '58 Sixty Special is one of the most prized '50's Cadillacs.

Mechanically, there's not much difference between a Cadillac or any other car as far as getting it running after sitting.  I would suggest rebuilding the mechanical fuel pump (if you're going to use it and not go with an electric one), redoing the carb and replacing the flexible fuel inlet line with products that will stand up to today's "gasoline".

SMS in Oregon carries just about every upholstery cloth from the era, as well as leather.

There are a lot of places to acquire the lenses and scripts--USA Parts Supply; McVey's...  The ORIGINAL trim was gold anodized aluminum.  Replacement parts will be 24k gold plated.  Unfortunately, it seems no one reproduces these pieces as original.

Best of luck and please post some photos!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

olechesterfleetwood

Thanks- my intention is to keep it that way to the greatest extent I can.  Wish I had it 20 years ago when it may have not needed some of the refurbishment I think it now needs.

Kimberlin1974

You have a very beautiful car there I always liked the 58 model. I know what its like to want to
keep it as original as possible and yet there are some things you have to do to preserve it.

Jeff Wilk

GREAT car there!!!!  I've had 5 58's with three of them the Sixty Specials that I bought and either fixed and sold, or parted out, and actually gave away back in the mid 90's after all done with them.  Still have lots of spare goodies though tucked away.  Keep us informed as you go and let us know what you are in need of.

Congratulations!!!

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

olechesterfleetwood

Jeff:

Thanks for the note.   I do need an interior dome light, since one is missing.  I think that's it.  If you don't have it, maybe you could point me in the right direction?
Thanks
John Robinson

Jeff Wilk

Sorry but no dome lights. Try usa parts supply or McVeys as both shiuld have them
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Walter Youshock

It looks like the interior is code 61:  Silver & Black Calcutta cloth and silver leather.  Paint is either 14:  Cheviot gray metallic or 16:  Prestwick gray metallic.

Can you get a shot of the body plate on the cowl?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

olechesterfleetwood

I called SMS and they had the repro fabric (for anyone else who needs some).  McVey's has the lenses and other parts I needed.  Thanks, guys.   Using your code, found the color is Prestwick Gray Metallic.

Separate question:

How do I know what kind of brake power booster I have?  Are all 58's one kind, or were some Bendix Treadle Vac and some Delco Moraine?  If I rebuild, should I swap in a Delco Moraine?
Thanks
JER

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

John,

Looks like a really nice survivor. A car in that condition is a great candidate for preservation rather than restoration. Would you please post the trim and paint codes from the data plate on the driver’s firewall. It’s a bit difficult to tell from the pics, but the seat fabric looks to me to be ’56 Black & Silver Bombay cloth. If that’s the  case the trim would read SO or Special Order.

As far as color formulations, any good paint supplier can match the color in new materials. For most colors it’s a matter of taking the time to cross check base and pigment references. The problem comes in with older metallic which used finer particles than are used today. Until Cadillac introduced Firemist colors the flake size in metallic paints were almost invisible much like a pearl finish.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon