News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Eldorado Power Trunk Release Question

Started by jadob, November 09, 2013, 07:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jadob

Hello All;

I'm new to the board, but I am enjoying the wealth of information as much as my 66 Eldorado!!  My question is this.... My power trunk release only works sometimes, and I don't know when that sometimes will be.  Is there any troubleshooting that can be done to get it to work consistently. All the other truck components work just fine.  Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Jadob :)

Davidinhartford

Release or pull down?

The release should be vacuum operated.  So it will only work for as long as you still have vacuum in the system.

jadob

Mr. Smith;

Thank you for the reply.  The problem I am having is with the release.  The pull down works fine every time.

Jadob

Scot Minesinger

The release (you said pull down works) is vacuum operated.  My guess is that when car is running or just recently shut-off (within a few minutes) the release works and when car has been off a while it does not.  That means vacuum leaks out of system - same with power door locks.  If it is only trunk, not power locks, at button in glove box, undue each connection at vacuum switch and snip off 1/2" of tubing and reconnect.  If the disconnect was real easy and the re-connect was difficult, you know you did something good.  Do same in trunk with one line.  Probably a good idea to do this no matter what anyway.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

jadob

Scott;

Followed your advice and after a lil bit of work and some blood shed, the trunk release is working like new!!  Thank you so much for your input.  It is much appreciated.  Now if you can help me figure out why I nave no rear courtesy lights, cigarette lighters and, trunk lights on my car while all other interior lights work..... Oh how fun fixing the little stuff is...  :o

Thanks again.

jadob

jadob

George;
Before the repair, the trunk would open if the car was running or shortly after turning it off.  There was a delay which seemed like 15 sec or so.  After the fix the trunk opens right away and can be done even if the car has been sitting without running for  a while.  The trimming of the hoses really helped.   :D

Jadob

jadob

George;

Yes three cuts.  Two screws under dash in glove box, truck assembly in trunk.  Be careful, I sliced the heck out of my thumb on this lil job.  But as we all know this is a love which sometimes requires blood, sweat, and tears...

Good Luck

Jadob