News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

help...i need answers for my 63' w/ 350 chevy engine

Started by Lindsay, December 15, 2008, 04:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Lindsay,

Yes, I am the said person that removed a BBC and replaced a 390 in a '60 CDV, and I must say it was the best decision I made.

The weight of the 390 and Hydro made the difference in the handling of the car.   The 454 and TH400 was too light for the standard suspension, and I wasn't rewally happy about the way the combination was installed either.

Bruce. >:D
President of the MCLC

PS.   Come over any time, and have fun.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

The A.I.R. tubes were part of the emissions system. On the chevs they were typically chrome looking tubes that went into the exhaust manifold that joined into a single tube with a valve on the end where it then transitioned into a hose that went through yet another control valve and then eventually into the belt driven AIR pump (commonly known as a smog pump).  These can leak exhaust and or air.   What usually happens is the check valves at the end of the tubes fails and lets exhaust through the whole system which starts killing expensive parts along the way.   Usually stuff like that is first to go in a swap situation but maybe it was done as an emissions legal (at the time) swap in some state.     The metal tubes look like steel fuel lines.  The hose parts look like heater hoses.   An 85 vette should have been EFI if Im not mistaken but I am not a vette expert.   A 350 tranny would have been a common swap item and again I have no idea if that would have been in the vette.  What I have found in the chev world is every chev motor is a corvette motor which I guess could be 1/2 true since there were a lot of years of 350's.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ohio57-62Sedan

The Vette Expert Has arrived....  >:D  In 1985 The Corvette had a Tuned Port Chevy 350 with a 700R4 Trans. This all can be installed in any car to look like the factory did it. I have installed a true 85 Corvette motor, factory wiring, and dash cluster, in a 89 K series Blazer. Im still working the bugs out because, I want to use the Corvette A/C controls as well. It look's like it came from the factory under the hood. except for the K&N filter..  ;D

Jeff Maltby 4194

My oem 1971 GMC pickup had a turbo 350 automatic. Cost me $300 for a complete rebuild back in 87 with 163k miles on it. The Napa rebuilt long block was $1,100.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

TJ Hopland

I was thinking the 700 was about that time.  The old bodies had the crossfire right?  And there was no 83 or was it 84? Then came the TPI and the new body right?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

STDog

Borrowing the above picture, I believe the big A.I.R. tube and check valve is circled in red.
The rubber hose is just visible to the left of the check valve.
If you look close you'll see the 4 smaller tubes that head down to the manifold.

TJ Hopland

Some of the engines the small tubes were more vertical and then joined the big tube and valve sort of angled over the valve cover.  But they all look very similar. At least that photo should give you a clue weather or not its really an 85 vette motor with all the extras.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Ohio57-62Sedan

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 19, 2008, 08:11:27 PM
I was thinking the 700 was about that time.  The old bodies had the crossfire right?  And there was no 83 or was it 84? Then came the TPI and the new body right?

I think the crossfire was in 82 ??? now your going to make me go home and look it up TJ..  ;D

I hope I can find another car to install the motor pictured... Just dont know what I wnt to do with it yet...