News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 Hydro - Lectric System

Started by marcus, June 02, 2008, 12:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcus

Windows and roof of my new 53 convertible will not work, all side windows go down but not up. Clicking when you move switches up and interior lights dim as if shorting . Tried connecting battery feed wire directly to motor pump by-passing solenoid - bright sparks when test cable touched on motor positive feed- would this indicate that motor is stuck.
Car has been competely restored 100 point but not used much apart from on a trailer to shows etc.
Hydro motor looks brand new, all wiring new and pipework etc.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Marcus,
The clicking you hear is most likely the relay and solenoid that starts the pump. It is normal for the windows to go down without the pump because it's the spring in the lift mechanism that pulls the windows down. Where you wired it directly from the battery and still no response, it sounds to me that either the motor is bad, or the pump is jammed. Either way, it looks like your going to have to pull it out and investigate. Good luck with it. How about posting a few photos of the car? I would love to see it.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: marcus on June 02, 2008, 12:29:28 PMinterior lights dim as if shorting . Tried connecting battery feed wire directly to motor pump by-passing solenoid - bright sparks when test cable touched on motor positive feed- would this indicate that motor is stuck.
It may indicate a short circuit somewhere inside the motor/pump/solenoid.

Have you tried to feed the solenoid without feeding the pump itself ?
1952 60 Special in France.

marcus CLC 23576

Quote from: P W Allen CLC# 20193 on June 02, 2008, 02:02:14 PM
Marcus,
The clicking you hear is most likely the relay and solenoid that starts the pump. It is normal for the windows to go down without the pump because it's the spring in the lift mechanism that pulls the windows down. Where you wired it directly from the battery and still no response, it sounds to me that either the motor is bad, or the pump is jammed. Either way, it looks like your going to have to pull it out and investigate. Good luck with it. How about posting a few photos of the car? I would love to see it.

Paul

Thanks Paul

Motor was siezed but freed itself of its own accord.
Tried to post pictures but reply did not seem to get logged.
I can e mail direct - it is quite a car.
It won Grand National twice I am told. I intend to use as much as possible, which should help.

Regards

Marcus