News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vintage 6V Airtex electric fuel pump

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, December 20, 2012, 06:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

Anyone have any experiences with this old E11AX model ?

Worth using or a wall hanger ?

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

buicksplus

I've had several of these, sold also under the names Walbro, Autopulse, AC and ?.  They are not very good.  I had two that I rebuilt with new diaphrams I managed to find on the internet.  Both the new diaphrams failed rather quickly, I don't think they were compatable with ethanol.

If you have an older one with a good diaphram (if the diaphram is bad, they won't pump up and the solenoid body fills with gasoline, a possible fire hazard), it might make a good placebo to put in your toolbox.

Airtex is building a new solenoid type 6V pump you can buy from CarQuest.  I installed one and it works OK. Time will tell whether it is any good.  Price is around $50, much less than the $125 Carter rotary unit you can buy from NAPA.  The Carter is noisy and draws a lot of current (8A or so), the little Airtex draws much less, just a couple of amps or so.
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

LeRoy DeVol

If mounted directly to the frame the pump from Napa can be very noisy. I installed my pump with rubber mounts like are used on heater blower motors. You can find these mounts at any A/C supply stores. after installing these mounts i was not able to hear the pump. Make sure you install a heavy ground wire from pump to ground. When installing a electric pump make sure you operate it from a relay. Its not a good idea to run it directly from the ignition switch. The relay coil can be operated from the wire to the ignition coil. This way the pump only runs when the engine runs.

Lee DeVol