News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Series 75 Frame Serial Number HELP!

Started by john jensen, January 14, 2005, 06:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john jensen

I own a 1940 Series 75 Limo (75-33) and I have been unable to locate the stamped frame number. According to the shop manual it is "located on the left frame side bar opposite the steering gear." I have scraped and wire brushed on both sides but to no avail. Also I noticed on my 75 Series the steering gear is on the outside of the frame rail, while on my 60 Series parts car it is located on the inside (engine compartment side) frame rail. Therefore Im really not sure which side "opposite the steering gear" means! Any help with a more exact location to look would be GREATLY appreciated!

John Jensen

JIM CLC # 15000

01-14-05
John, its there! trust me.
I have a 38 La Salle and it took a state vehicle inspector with 15 years experiance 45 minutes to find it.
It was near the steering box, on the frame, as it rolls from horizon  -to- vertical. It was stamped very lightly.
HTH
Good Luck, Jim

john jensen

Thanks for the reply. Was it located on the outside frame rail (where my steering box is) or the inside (engine compartment) frame rail where the 60 series steering box is?

John Jensen

Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850

John,
 It took me a while to find the number on my 40 60s, too. On a 60s it is on top of the frame near the intersection of the outside rail and a cross rail. Mine was underneath a brake line so it was the last place I wire brushed. Good luck.
Bob

Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850

John,
 In case you have never seen it, in The Philadelphia Story with Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, and Cary Grant, ther are a couple of great shots of a NEW 1940 series 75! (movie made in 1940). That grill really sparkles! The movie isnt bad, either.
Bob B.