News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1947 Caddy Convert

Started by Eric Lebrun, January 16, 2005, 09:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Lebrun

I have recently inheriated a 1947 Cadillac convert. I am wondering how rare this car is and does anyone know how many are still around?
anyone interested is this answer may contact me at donbrown248@aol.com

Robt.Vonheck -via SunDiego Calif.

-youve neglected to say if the car is a rusted-hulk? -or in oem-showroom condition?  -They dont charge by the word here, so why not share your impressions of the cars details/background/location/condition,etc. by being far more discriptive...   ~Bob vH  

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

6,755 were built.

More than 100 currently are registered with club.  I guess unregistered survivors (here and abroad) might account for twice that number.  

Value is subjective and, as has been pointed out here on frequent occasions, depends for the most part on condition.  

In passing, I would add that the old, side-valve V-8 engine models are not as sought after as the new OHC version that came out in 1949.

A matter of personal choice, I guess. I has very satisfied with my 42, column-shift Fleetwood 75.

Paul Ayres #5640

Yann - I rarely disagree with you, but on this subject, I do.  The 1947 Cadillac convertible, being accepted as a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America, is a highly sought after and valuable car.  Paul Ayres

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

I would have to agree since of all the 47s I have seen in the CCCA Nationals, most were convertibles followed by a few fast backs and a 60 Special or two.

I was SHOCKED to see my favorite 6269 sedan in the last issue of The Classic Car"!  :)

From a lover of the oft ignored yet venerable Series 62.....

PS   According to the VMR, a #5 condition convert would be worth $5800
while a #2 was worth $34500 and a #1 car would be worth $44000.
Now I would wait for the major auctions in Arizona to see where classic car prices are heading before relying on these numbers but its an indication and probably  off a bit.

And I agree wholheartedly, Paul! I believe that what I said (or meant) was that the old flathead V-8s were LESS desirable than the new OHC models from 49 and up. Im sorry if you thought I meant the 47s were NOT desirable.

Paul Ayres #5640

Yann - It was the "LESS" that I was disagreeing with.  Flatheads forever!

Mike #19861

Not meaning to nit pick, but did you mean "OHV" instaed of "OHC"? Just to clear it up with some that may get the wrong idea.

On value, it is very subjective, and falls to what is most desireable by the individual. There are many the prefer the 48 over the 49, and vice versa, simply because of powertrain.

But, generally speaking, I could fathom the 42-47 models commanding a premium simply on aethetics. They are quite spectacular looking cars. In some ways, the more modern 48 and 49s were drab looking by comparison. I think their claim to fame was the "Rudder Type Styling" and the new for 49 OHV V-8. And I say this without predjudice, since my all time favourite Cadillac is the 1949 Series 62 Sedanette.

And, I feel that auctions falsely drive the value of cars up. It is the buying frenzy of the moneyed few that do it. To the bonafide collector, the real value may be quite differant, and more realistic. Its a shame since these clowns are driving the values out of reach of the average hobbyist, the ones that would get the most enjoyment out of the cars. Often, these cars bounce around from auction to auction simply to gain profit. Its simply a game played by speculators, and the hobbyist is the loser. Perhaps we will again see a free fall in values much like when the balloon burst in the early 90s. That would suite me just fine.

Mike

Yes, Mike.  Read OHV, not OHC (my typo !)  I agree totally with your take on auctions.  Been there, done that (with my 60 Eldo conv.)  Finally I sold it privately, after the auction to a bona-fide collector.

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Amen Yann.  My broker is waiting for the auctions to conclude before putting my 1947 Cadillac on the market.  Why?  To get the best (and highest) price.  Initially it was to restore my 1956 which has been a long dream of mine.  
Unfortunately my financial situation has fallen on hard times.  Now this money will pay for debts I cannot avoid (nor wish to).  It hurts deeply to lose a piece of my life for something so vulgar as money but there it is, it is reality.

I am now faced with the very real probability that my Eldorado will be next on the block.  If this succeeds to create the 56s future, then I will have done what I can; if not, and Uncle Sam...eh George...takes the major portion, then that too is reality.   While I dislike the artificial inflation of value in this hobby, I am now forced to rely on it.  What a world. <sigh>