News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

-convert your Quad-headlamps to HIDs....

Started by Robt.Vonheck -via SunDiego Calif., January 17, 2005, 02:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robt.Vonheck -via SunDiego Calif.

-yep, heres a step-by-step illustrated-guide explaining how to change over from your conventional Edison-incandescent sealed-beal/headlamps (even if youve already wisely updated to superior Halogens, --there are even 6v.-Halogens) to these modern state-of-art HID-type, --which are about 50percent-brighter yet draw at most about half the amperage of ordinary incandecents, and a more bluish-white hue-coloration.  However, be prepared to shell-out at  least $300 for a pair (try Ebay), -even if you do the installation yourself.  Apparently the example here illustrates installation of the HID-lamps on the low-beam only, --although i would think that one would rather employ these super-bright headlamps on the inboard/high-beams as to really throw some light when you want/need it for extra/drving-safety,  while using Halogens for ones outboard/driving-lamps(low-beam).  So perhaps one needs to research this question a bit before investing in a pair.   Understand they have a relatively pronounced upper/cut-off dispersion, so as to limit the glare to oncomming motorists; -and dont believe there is a 6v.-version yet available (although its lower-amperage requirement would be very compatible with older wiring-circuits)...    ~Bob vH  
(left click)-
http://www.alxlee.com/Lotus/EspritHID/EspritHID.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.alxlee.com/Lotus/EspritHID/EspritHID.html        

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

I think this is a wonderful link!  Thanks for posting it.  However I may not change the original (my favorite pet word) seal beams.  They are plenty bright enough for me, and I REALLY hate those new bright blue lights.  They blind me even at distance.  Oh they arent supposed to...but they do.  No, there is enough light pollution.  :)

Besides my 56 is not a quad.

Mike #19861

There was a segment on the news here last week regarding these HID lights. It seems that the Police and the MOT have had a number of complaints on the brightness of these lights. The consensus was that they are blindingly bright, particularly if you are being followed by a vehicle equipped with them.

I for one can attest to this. They have a very definate pattern in which there is a particularly bright spot in the centre of the light. When this section passes trough your mirrors, the result is a very sharp and bright focus of light directly in your eyes that can lead to temprorary night blindness. The effect is especially noticeable in these small cars with slammed suspensions and SUVs as they bounce down the road behind you. Flipping the mirror only reduces the effect in the centre mirror, and leaves your side mirrors unobstructed to the brightness.

They interviewed a salesperson at an MB dealer who claimed that they were a boon to the safety of the driver, lighting the road much farther than conventional lights do. She did seem to have a complete disregard and ignorance to the obvious effects to other drivers. The police state that they do not break any lighting laws, and that there have not been any accidents caused by them. But they did agree that they were a general nuisance.

But, I think they are here to stay. Like or dislike. As they become more popular in high end cars, they will obviously trickle down to less expensive cars, and we will end up with a flood of these lights on the road.  Maybe then laws will be enacted limiting the intense effects of them. As I said, it is the extreme focus of them in the centre part of the beam as it passes through your line of vision that is so annoying. If this is dealt with, then perhaps they will become more readily accepted by the motoring public.

Mike

Robt.Vonheck

Mike: -definitely agree with your comments, and that is why i mentioned what i did about their being in my opinion more appropriate for just the inboard/high-beams (and probably this should be mandated by law if they cant remedy the low-beam glare problem you speak of)....  ~Bob vH

Robert, I have seen Sylvania commercials (last night actually) that show their use in High Beams only.  I really cannot complain too much about that!  Since some have airplane halogens in theirs...these cannot be all that bad.

David #19063

Randall,

The HIDs do not even compare to the aircraft lights.

If you had two cars, one with the HIDs and one with the sircraft lights, you would not even be able to tell the HIDs were on.

Seriously, I had the aircrafts in a 78 Audi 5000 in the late 80s (they came with the car and I still have them in a drawer).  Driving in Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota at night, if you turned them on, you could not over drive them.  They would light up the road for a probably up to 2 miles.  Reflective signs even farther.  Of course this was on long desolete stretches.

And $600 for quad headlights...for cars most people rarely drive in the dark and almost never in the rain...seems expensive to me.  Heck, I used to buy cars for that much...or less...LOL!

Its like the people with blowers sticking through there hoods or massively high horsepower engines that have never race the car or even floored it.  "I dont want to break anything."  Well, in my opinion, if they break anything it wasnt built right and has no reason being in a car show if it cannot be driven hard once in a while.  Heck, we ARE talking about cars...

But I digress...

LOL!

David

David,

Id be careful....PITA might hear about this and come after you for blinding all those little animals out there in the wilds of the great American bush!!!  LOL

Heck...I am considering doing some naughty things with my 56 just to make her that much more fun...just a common old clunker that can outrun a Jag!!  
Now THAT is what I call fun.  sigh.  I can dream, right?

David #19063

Randall,

Cars were meant to be driven...enjoy yourself!

David

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

David,

And, dont forget that cars are also meant to be parked, with the lights out, in nice secluded areas............now, that is enjoyment.

Bring back bench seats.......

But, I digress......

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Eric Kahn clc 20839

Factory installed HID headlights in the USA are required to have leveling motors to keep them from blinding oncoming drivers when the car bounces or the trunk is loaded
I have not had a problem with oncoming cars with HIDs that were installed by the factory (mercedes and the like) but the aftermarket ones range from pretty good to absolutly horrible
it is hard to compare aircraft landing lights and car headlights since they are 2 different kind of lights, car headlights are a type of flood light where aircraft landing lights are spotlights designed for a very narrow long beam

David #19063

Bruce,

And big back seats at that!

David