News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac on steroids

Started by Porter, January 17, 2005, 08:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porter

Maybe it is Bob Lutz, who knows.

The General is really focused on the Cadillac marquee, performance wise.

Wasnt that the way it used to be , high performance and luxury ?

I guess I cant complain, maybe that is what is required today, keeping up with the Jones (BMW,Benz & Lexus) performance wise or beating them at their own game.

Seems like the right direction for Cadillac, shoot for the top, "breakthrough", we can only hope they put their money where their mouth is.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050111/NEWS03/501110331/1004/archives TARGET=_blank>http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050111/NEWS03/501110331/1004/archives

Mike #19861

Traditionally, Cadillac was all about luxury AND performance before things got all messed up in the late 70s and 80s. Even the huge cars of the 70s had engines that really moved them out.

The V-8s of the 20s outperformed and outlasted most any other car on the market. These cars could sustain 70-80mph for very long periods. The Sixteen cylinder models had a very deserved performance image. They were amoung the most powerful cars available on the planet.

The 1951 Series 61 with manual shift was the fastest accelerating car available in the US. Period. Cadillac engines were one of the most pouplar choices of rodders during the 50s. 429 powered Cadillacs in the 60s would accelerate with authourity, and still had considerable top ends.

Growing weight, emissions controls, safety standards and fuel econmy standards put an end to that. Then along came the microprocessor. The 4.9 was the first Cadillac in a long time that really had some go. Now with the various versions of the Northstar, Cadillac has enjoyed a reputation for performance for more than 10 years now.

With the V-series, Cadillac sets new standards for performance. The reptution and image they bring to Cadillac will be very valuable. These are cars high on the want list for the enthusiast, no matter their brand loyalty.

Mike

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Mike, you hit the nail on the head.  Times may have changed, but Cadillac has always been the luxury car (production made) with plenty of comfort and lots of power.  Many of you have driven older Cadillacs, but for those who have not, the 1960 series 62 sedan with the unencumbered 390 and power steering was simply awesome!  I have never driven a car with that much power and nimbleness in such a large, comfortable body.  I got the same impression (a little less nimble) out of the 1956 Cadillac I drove.  In comparison, the 1977 Eldorado is a soft, comfortable car with good excelleration but nothing to write home about.  I am changing that.  She now takes off quite nicely.  Not like the 1972 (man that 500 cid makes that boat MOVE) but its a start.  Give me an older Caddy any day.  But thats just me...an OLD car nut. :)

Mike #19861

I have driven a few of the older, read late 50s and eraly 60s, Cadillacs and I was most impressed by their level of performance. And it was easy performance. Just squeeze the throttle, and off you go. No fuss.

My 70 Fleetwood with the 472 is a powerhouse. It will shame many a so-called performance car. 375 hp and 525 lbft of torque are impressive numbers in any circle.

Cadillacs from the 80s were more or less slugs. My 86 Fleetwood with the 307 is a pig. The damned thing can barely get out of its own way, but it is a very comfortable and nice driving car otherwise. The HT4100 powered cars are similarly slow, but you can tweak them a bit to make them perform better.

Even the old flathead cars were considered very good performers in their day. Its just the OHV V-8 eclipsed it so much.

Mike

David #19063

Mike,

The easiest and best way to make your 86 Fleetwood sing is to find an Olds 403 and drop it in.  

You will need to save all your brackets, etc. from the 86, but the 307/350/403 are the same family and will bolt right in.  

Or even a mild 350.

Even a running stock 403 out of a battered/rusty 98, 77-78 Toro, or Trans Am, would make a world of difference and there would be almost no way for anyone to tell the difference...until the light turned green.

Do not EVER try to build the 307, it isnt worth it.

David

Porter

Back in the 60s Zora Arkus Duntov had patents for a four wheel drive Corvette and he wanted a mid engine layout too. That is what we call engineering.

The Corvette was too successful in its present state at the time so GM just let it roll as it was.

Now they have come full circle with the new STS, RWD base vehicle and fulltime ? 4 X 4 optional.

Subaru has created their own market niche with this layout, small surprise. And the Audi Quattro years ago.

Might as well blame Roger B. Smith for the FWD fiasco while we are at it. "Everybody like to kick the big man when he is down", Im sure he had plenty of help with his committees, etc.

The General seems to be back on his feet again, about time.

Steve Crum 20999

The General has faced up to some hard facts that are rarely taught in business school. As much as preserving current capital and continuous improvement to efficencies is important and vital in any business, Moreso the product line must be continuously  in a state of evolution, That evolution is not driven by the bean counters. Somebody MUST keep their finger on the pulse of the buying public, This somebody MUST be the first and last to speak at any meeting from a planning meeting to a board meeting!
Lets face it, the buying public (yes the ones who keep the lights on) have the final say in what comes off the assembly line, If the General doesnt do it, somebody else WILL. And the General has had his nose rubbed in this hard fact too many times in the past 25 years. Ill still pay heed to the words of a hard core production guy moreso than a college educated bean counter, (unless that bean counter has paid their dues on the production floor and is willing to look at things from EVERY angle).
The grand poobahs at GM are well awakened to this fact now.
Its alway twice as hard to claw back into position than too make a continuous effort to maintain position.

densie 20352

Let me guess...it has underboosted power steering with too much positive caster, uncomfortable seats, and a stiff suspension?

-densie