News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac 365 engine and carb questions

Started by carguyblack, August 24, 2009, 08:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelly

Otto,
  Have you ever tried that floorboard thing?
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Otto Skorzeny

Hell no. My instincts tell me gradual acceleration and easy driving for the first 1000 miles or so. 

I bought a brand new Ford 302 crate engine from Ford 3 years ago and that's what they told me to do. It works great - the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty expired a couple months ago and it hasn't fallen apart so I think I'm in the clear.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

carguyblack

Yeah, I know you guys. It sounds harsh on a new engine, but it was only for a quick test and for a moment. My mechanic had his scope and equipment all hooked up and this was his last test. He had noticed an abberation as I was varying the throttle at higher RPM's where it didn't seem to be burning the fuel. I punched it once or twice and the problem registered. This was only done under doctor's supervision! I try not to be an idiot, but sometimes I get very close. Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Otto Skorzeny

No Chuck, I think Kelly's talking about the hi rev, pedal to the metal, break in where you do it for 30 minutes straight.

Periodic high revs during break in is ok. I've had people tell me they do it the other way more than once but it seems counter-intuitive to me.
fward

David King (kz78hy)

When I was breaking my fresh 58 365, the engine shop said to keep the RPM's up, no idle for the 1st half hour or so.  This is to ensure proper oil pressure and to allow the new cam and lifters to start to mate to one another.  According to them, an brand new engine (old cars like ours) will wear out a cam shaft fast if they do nothing but idle in the beginning. 

I followed his advice and so far so good.

Another tip from Dale Armstrong (former Kenny Bernstein crew chief) and fellow CLC member and Brougham owner said to drive it under a load fairly hard.   Not quite wide open throttle, but 3/4 or so  to allow the rings to seat up against the new honed block.  I like giving it the full throttle now on the entrance ramps to the interstate and passing slower cars.  The car has around 2600 miles so far and seems to run better the more I drive it.  It likes speed too, 85 or 90 is nothing for it.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Otto Skorzeny

That's great that your engine is working fine. That method also makes sense to me.

fward

carguyblack

It may be too late for me as most of the run time on this thing has been idling so far. Very little driving as I've encountered so many other issues.
Now that you guys give me your blessing, I'm going to turn into a muscle head and show this thing who's boss! Seriously, it's good to know that it is actually healthy for the engine to not baby it as I have been. Thanks for the tips! I hope to begin to drive it with regularity before I drive it over to the  upholsterer now that I have the fuel problem solved. That ride will be about 70 miles, so I want to be sure everything is working well and has some tested time on it.  Happy motoring to all of us!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Interesting thread.

A good friend and a long time Cadillac mechanic for about 40 years (recently deceased)
once told me to "break them in fast" -- in other words don't baby the engine.  His
prescription was to take it out on a lonely stretch of Interstate and run it at 80 MPH+
for a good 15-20 minutes, then drive as per normal.  His thought was that the rings would
never seat properly if you "babied" the engine for the first 1,000 miles and the engine would
never develop it's full HP potential.

Just don't let the cops catch you!

Mike

P.S.:  Frank, God Bless You -- hope there are lots of Caddies up there for you to look at!

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Otto Skorzeny

Mike, what is your opinion? What method do you use to "break in" an engine?

I've heard the "run it hard" method before. What works for you?

fward