News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ordering the New Motorama Book

Started by Brian Laurance, November 21, 2006, 11:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Laurance

Im hoping that Charles Barnette and others will see and reply to this topic.  I may be somewhat pre-mature in posing the question, but am looking ahead to purchase some Christmas gifts.

Is it possible to pre-order the new Motorama book?  Any information regarding pricing, availability, and ordering would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your replies.  Im sure that many of us are eagerly awaiting this book.

Charles D. Barnette #1465

Thanks for the opportunity to repond. As you know I did some volunteer research work for this book on the Cadillac section. It covers all Motorama vehicles, and I can give it a thumbs up on every aspect of a published book well written by a dedicated author. It can be pre-ordered through Amazon.com, Motorbooks.com, BarnesandNoble.com, or any other major book retailers website. Motorbooks International is the publisher, and it should be on the shelves by December 7, 2006, or a few days later. The exact title is "GMs Motorama-The Glamorous Show Cars of a Cultural Phenomena" by David Temple. This will make the best Christmas gift ever for those that love cars! It is the Bible of Motorama! Charles D. Barnette

Tommy L

Amazon has the best price with a lowest price guarantee.  Ive asked my local Library to order.

GMs Motorama: The Glamorous Show Cars of a Cultural Phenomenon by David Temple, Chuck Jordan, Dennis Adler, and David E. Davis (Hardcover - Dec 15, 2006)

Buy new:  $26.40
Available for Pre-order

Web Wombat Books
GMs Motorama: The Glamorous Show Cars of a Cultural Phenomenon
Type:   By David Temple & Dennis Adler $70.95  

Brian Laurance

Thank you for the replies.  Ive placed my order!

Jim Jordan CLC # 5374

I am anxiously awaiting my copy.  I was priveledged enough to see a pre published copy and, wow was I  impressed!  This book delves deep into the cars and their stories like nothing before.  I was a volunteer contributor with very minor contributions and got to see how hard David worked on this book with the help of other experts like our own Charles Barnette, the unrivaled expert of experts on the 1953 LeMans.  This is a book any car guy or gal will pick up and not want to put back down!

Jim Jordan

Got my copy today and I must sau it is INCREDIBLE.  This book is great.  It has many never before seen photos and lots and lots of details.  Applause goes to CLC member David Temple for his hard work and dedication to this project.  This is a great Christmas present for any car person.  Now we just need to get to work on the 2nd edition by discovering the show cars like the 53 Orleans, 4th 53 LeMans, Park avenue, etc.  This book is an absolute must have!

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

I second Jim’s comments. It’s a beautiful book with many heretofore unseen photos. The sad note is that GM didn’t think enough of the Dreamcars to take a lot more color photos documenting them. Thank you, David Temple for a great book and Charles Barnett for bringing it to our attention.

Ralph

Charles D. Barnette #1465

As a volunteer researcher on this book, I have many rewards in seeing the book finally making it into print. Working with the author was a dream come true as we worked together as a well oiled machine especially with the research on the 1953 LeMans. Now that the book is published let me list the many items we uncovered during this time which are now in the book. First of all in talking with John Crowell it was established that the Barris car was indeed LeMans No.one when Johns bill of sale showed serial number 02. This was a shouting moment. Unfortunately this was the Motorama LeMans that burned in 1985 and is no more. Next in regard to the black LeMans No. two, it led us from the Glidden Tour in Ohio to Oklahoma City where we met fellow CLC member Jim Jordan. We nicknamed the car "Raven" to help us keep the 4 LeMans straight. We were given the picture of "Raven" in front of a building with no dome, and from the flagpole David made a quantum leap to Oklahoma City where "Raven" apperaed in the Oil Progress Parade and at Greenlease-Moore dealership and then literally fell off the face of the earth after November of 1953. In regard to LeMans No. three we always suspected it to be the Floyd Akers LeMans, but had no proof. We nicknamed it "Wallflower", because it has led such a secretive life for the most part. When David and I uncovered the Washington DC certificate of title listing the car as serial No 04 that meant we had our proof that the Akers car was indeed LeMans No 3-another shouting moment! Finally all writers ahead of David had mentioned a road test for the LeMans to be found in Motor Trend but none ever gave where in Motor Trend. Usually one can find links to all Road Tests conducted by Motor Trend but none could ever be found for LeMans. Out of sheer frustration we ordered every monthly issue of the 1953 Motor Trend and found same in the October issue. However the test was done by Detroit Auto Dealers and not by Motor Trend. Motor Trend was simply reporting on what the dealers found not something Motor Trend was doing. This is why we could never find a reference to a Motor Trend test. This was another shouting moment! Charles D. Barnette    

Charlea D. Barnette

The LeMans was made available for driving to Detroit newsmen (not car dealers) at the GM Proving Ground as stated in the regular monthly series entitled "Spotlight on Detroit". See page 11 of the October 1953 Motor Trend issue. Can you imagine letting a bunch of newsmen behind the wheel of a masterpiece? Additional high shouting moments in our research occurred when we found the actual, physical location of Wallflower-LeMans No. Three- although we are unable to disclose the exact location at this time per the owners wishes. She is alive and well and perhaps the last remaining near stock version of LeMans. I predict that it is only a matter of time as to when Wallflower will shed her cocoon and burst onto the national automotive scene. Also we were able to find precious dash parts from LeMans Number one that had mistakenly been left behind after the sale of LeMans No. one to Mr. Crowell and therefore did not go through the fatal fire. Mr. Crowell still weeps to this day over the loss of this vehicle. We have Greg Wallace of GM to thank for GM to now own LeMans No four with its custom fins done by the factory in 1959. Why all the fuss over LeMans? It is because LeMans in my opinion was the first true "Dream Car" of Cadillac and not merely a fancy exercise done on a production Cadillac. Charles D. Barnette

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

I have some interesting (factory?) photos of a Le Mans taken on May 8, 1953. Could this be the GM Motorama Le Mans? The San Franciso venue had ended May 7, then the car was off to Dallas to be shown there, with others, as of May 16.

Considering the current hype about these four cars, and in view of the fact that David Temples "GM Motorama" book is now available (I just got mine from Amazon - superb book) perhaps they might be shown in a future edition of the Self Starter.  

I took these pics at the Design Studio, twelve years ago, in difficult lighting conditions (no flash and no "professional" equipment other than a tripod, a table and my old Minolta 35mm reflex.

Charles D. Barnette

Yanns pictures contained the word "Hocking" inscribed on two of them and on one the date following this word as 5-8-53? What relevance if any does this word have with GM? Is it an emploee, a manufacturing plant name, a photographer, a building, or something else? If you know please advise.

David Temple, #22317

Hocking is very likely the last name of the photographer with GM Photographic Services who took the photos. I have not run across his name in the past - at least not that I can recall - although I do commonly find names on original GM archival photos.

Brian Laurance

I received my copy of the book today, and it is truly spectacular.  I cannot wait for the opportunity to sit down and read it cover to cover.  

David, I realize that the focus of this project was the various, non-production show cars.  Im curious whether, during the course of your research, you located many photos of the standard production car displays at the various Motoramas.  The book includes a few, overall photos of some of the Motoramas.  I have a particular interest in the 1959 Motoramas, and would love to find photos showing the various passenger car displays (for all divisions), styling dioramas, and the cars displayed on the "grasshopper" arms.  Do you know if such photos exist?  

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Could it be a reference to GM Selling something?

Hocking is another name for Selling.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

David Temple, #22317

Bruce Berghoff probably has some the photos of the production cars at the 1959 Motorama. Several such photos appear in his book, "The GM Motorama" published in 1995. GM Media Archive likely has some as well. -- David

Ive been scouring Cadillac archives for a half century and only ever came across a couple of (color) pics of the 1959 productions cars from the GM Motorama (Boston venue, I believe).  I got copies of them from my Swiss buddy and fellow CLC member, J.-M. Roux. I put them in the Cadillac Database some time back: http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/FACTM-P.HTM TARGET=_blank>www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/FACTM-P.HTM

The cars of GMs five brands that were displayed on the grasshopper, all appear to have been white (you can see them in the video about the Motoramas).  There is a white car in the pics to which Im referring, but it is not on one of the grasshopper arms. The models seem to be a Georgian Blue or Argyle Blue "Series 62" convertible, a black "Series 60 Special" sedan and a white "DeVille" model (you cant tell from the angle at which the photos were snapped if its a coupe or a sedan)

Basing my conclusion on the fact that all factory photos I have of Cadillacs carry a name (in block letters) and the date when the photo was taken, I assume that "Hocking" was another Cadillac staff photographer in the 50s, as were also "LaRue" and "Madler" (the latter two names appear frequently on Cadillac photos).

Brian Laurance

David and Yann, thank you both for your replies and information.

Richard Goulden

Thanks for the tip guys, my Amazon ordered copy arrived in my mailbox here in New Zealand this morning, great read.

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Just wanted to make sure everybody who might be interested has seen the video of the 1955 Motorama I had mentioned in a post in early October.  It can be found on the http://www.youtube.com TARGET=_blank>www.youtube.com  site..... once there, go to the search function (top right corner of the screen) and type in 1955 GM Motorama .......... it is a five minute video with a minute or so of the cars being displayed on the grasshopper arms mentioned earlier in this string.  Make sure your speakers are turned on.