News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Brake vibration at higher speeds 83 Eldo

Started by Rick Biarritz, May 19, 2012, 11:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

I get a vibration when putting the brakes on at highway speed. I feel it in the steering wheel mostly. The pads are all new. Any ideas?

Thanks

R Schroeder

Sounds like bad rotors to me. Could be bad front end parts too.
Roy

62droptop

if you feel it mostly in the steering wheel, most likely tie rods worn out/ball joint issue

if you can feel the shudder in the pedal,the rotors are not sitting flat on the hubs,are warped,hub warped
are the rear brakes adjusted properly??

if the rears are out of adjustment the fronts end up doing all the work
did you do any brake work lately?

TJ Hopland

Ya I too am wondering if you had the wheels of or did brake work just before this started happening. 

Modern pads seems to have some stuff in them that likes to deposit itself into the rotors when you do a quick stop and then stay stopped for a while.  It basically gives you a grippy spot on the rotor.   It does seem worse at higher speeds in my experience and I feel it more in the wheel than pedal. 

The front end on my 80 is pretty shot and the brakes are smooth.  Wheel bearings are good tho.  I could maybe see a wheel bearing giving you an odd feel like that.  What I noticed on my 75 was a little vibration then a pull when braking due to a little drag.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason