News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

5/16"-24 High Brass Exhaust Nut 346 Flathead

Started by Bobby B, August 06, 2016, 02:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby B

Does anyone have an extra 5/16"-24 x 3/8" tall Brass exhaust nut for a 346 Flathead laying around? It was missing on the car and since I have the head pipe off to do the heat blanket, I would like to put it back correctly. I'm having a hard time finding it in fine thread. Much Appreciated....
                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Ingler #7799

Bobby; I have 2 of the nuts. Book say 5/16 x 24 x 17/ 64. They are used from a 46 I took apart. If you want them please let me know.   Bill

Bobby B

Bill,
Hi. I didn't realize that the PO had the wrong nuts in there. 17/64" is pretty much a normal height nut, which is available, so I don't need to bother you. I really appreciate your help, and I REALLY need to get me one of those books for the '47 that you use to come up with all this highly detailed information that I need to know. Which parts book are you constantly using for reference that has all this information? Thanks,
  Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Ingler #7799

Bobby: There are two books that I use for my reference material. The Master Chassis  Parts book which is twelfth edition covers through 1948 and the Master Body Parts List which is the tenth edition and again covers through 1948. My Master Body Parts List in original but my Master Chassis book is a reproduction. I think Faxton is selling reproductions. Both books have answered a lot of questions and I think a must for anyone trying to restore a 40s Cadillac.  Bill

Bobby B

Bill,
Thanks...Going to order them from Faxon.  ;)
                                                                   Bobby

1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

johnmereness

My 41 60's had 17K miles on it when purchased - it had double nuts on the exhaust (basically a full sized nut functioning as a jamb nut).  Both nuts were brass.  I do not recall if the bolts were brass or steel.

Bill Ingler #7799

John: The Chassis Parts list does not show a brass bolt being used, only cadmium or zinc. All four bolts are double nutted with brass nuts. The bolt in the far back corner, which is not visible in the picture is put in with the head underneath the flange, just opposite the bolts you see in the picture. The two brass nuts are on top of the manifold so you can get a socket on the nuts to tighten.  Bill

johnmereness

Sidenote:  Thank you for the picture.  On my 1941 the nuts were on the manifold side - opposite the picture here.