News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Gas Tank Advice Requested

Started by Charlie Petty, September 25, 2009, 09:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Petty

I am leaning toward installing a new tank.  The ones on ebay have a raw steel inside, which would worry me for future rust issues.  Are there any out there that are protected in some manner on the inside?  THANKS. 

Otto Skorzeny

click  on the link by my name and find classic car auto parts. They sell first rate new gas tanks. They are galvanized steel.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Charlie Petty

Otto-  I  believe these are the ones being sold on ebay.  I asked the seller, and he stated that they are "raw steel" inside.  The outside is (powder?) coated, not galvanized.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Charlie,

I would coat the inside of the tank to be certain it lasts as long as possible. Today’s gas contains “who knows what”. Water is soluble in ethanol and possibly other gas additives, which can eventual effect raw steel. I’d look for a coating that is compatible with E85. My friends have used POR-15 with great success. I had a bad experience in which the material did not cure. It was done correctly, but I don’t fault the brand . I believe I unfortunately got a bad, out of spec batch. If you choose to coat it,  test a small amount to insure it cures.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Otto Skorzeny

Glyptol sticks to everything. Call Eastwood.

fward

Tom Magdaleno

POR 15 only sticks good to rust, so I wouldn't use it on new metal. 

What do gas tank restoration places line the tanks with?
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

Otto Skorzeny

If I were you, I wouldn't coat a new tank with anything. Keeping the tank full will keep it from rusting.
fward

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Gentlemen,

For the obvious reason of being new and having some “long” life expectancy, I respect the opinions of  those recommending not sealing a new tank. However, the sealer will only prolong the life of the new tank. The higher alcohol content in new gas formulations allows for higher water absorption. Combine that with any air in the tank and it’s a formula for rust / corrosion.  With the investment in a new tank, and the tank out of the car, I’d prefer to do it once in the most secure way.

For clarification: POR 15’s US Standard Tank Sealer and Metal Ready does adhere and work on new gas tanks, but you must use the Metal Ready prep first. This system is one of  POR 15's products that does not require rust to be present for activation.

Charlie, if you do decide to seal the tank, I'd call the technical hot line for the brand you choose before buying or using anything. Disclaimer: I am not a chemist, nor do I play one on TV and  I have no vested or promotional interest in POR15's products.

Ralph
2018 GMC Yukon

35-709

Just to add another caveat.  Be very direct in questioning whoever you are talking to about a tank liner the long term effects of ethanol, ESPECIALLY considering the fact that the amount of ethanol added to gasoline MAY be increased over the coming years.  I have a friend in the automobile restoration business who grumbles and complains that (in his experience) sooner or later ALL currently available tank lining substances will fail because of ethanol.
Geoff N. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Geoff,

I haven’t heard a restoration professional say that before. I find it very interesting….and worrisome.  I had my ’66 tank boiled and coated in ’02 because there was no NORS tank available.  I’ve since taken the tank down three times for problems with the sending unit. The coating  looks fine with no evidence of it dissolving or lifting. My fuel filter is clean and the gas (E10) shows no discoloration. The anecdotal comments and hearsay  indicate that coatings are not affected by ethanol, but that doesn’t mean they’re correct. If it does indeed break down, there will be a lot of hobbyists, like me, very angry at vendors.

I hope Mike Josephic reads this thread. I’d appreciate his technical veiw on the possible chemical / corrosion interactions.

Ralph
2018 GMC Yukon

35-709

Hi Ralph,
I would like to hear other comments too.  I have heard stories before about fuel tank lining products failing and my friend's comments about them was the last straw for me.  The lack of proper preparation before the lining is poured in may be the biggest problem. 
Geoff N.

I would add that in many areas ethanol is just coming into widespread use, it may well take time for ethanol problems to show up.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Chris Conklin

Seems like a case of the cure being worse than the ill... I would think a brand new tank will last plenty long without benefit of coating.
Chris Conklin

Ty

I just spent $575.00 for a Gas Tank Renu process of blasting with aluminum oxide inside and out, and applications of two liquid polyvinyl coatings. The old tank was professionaly cleaned, prepared, baffel fixed in place. dents removed, and the sender repaired due to a short. After they opened the tank I could see that the inside was very, very clean and I did not see any rust inside. I hope I did not waste my hard earned funds. I had considered a new tank but thought even a new tank should be lined due to potential ethonal problems in the future, and estimated that the total cost of a new tank and the treatment would be about the same. Not happy about the costs for a tank that turns out not to be the correct year nor original equipment. But, where do you find a new 1937 tank.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

jeff1956

maybe someone should come up with a plastic tank molded to look like the originals....spray them black w plasticoat paint.  then theyd be just like the new cars and unless thumped youd probably never suspect.

jeff

Charlie Petty

I took a look inside the new tank I bought, and I think it's coated with something.  The vendor said it was, but wasn't specific on what it is.  I'm not going to mess around with coating a brand new tank.  Car will be housed in de-humidified garage so hopefully condensation will be minimumal.  I thought using drygas would help too.  Is that not right?  Doesn't it absorb moisture into the gas, eliminating free moisture in the tank?   

Otto Skorzeny

I think your worry about rust in your gas tank is much ado about nothing.

The gas tanks that rust are the ones that sit around outside empty for 50 years, not those that are filled with gas inside a climate controlled garage.

My '56 has it's original tank and there isn't any rust inside at all. It wasn't an abandoned car when I bought it but it wasn't babied it's whole life either.

Keep your tank full and drive it regularly and it will be fine.
fward