News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How many miles per gallon on your older Cadillac?

Started by Fred Zwicker #23106, April 12, 2009, 06:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Zwicker #23106

I have a 1966 Cadillac DeVille Convertible with 30,000 original miles and if I go real easy I get 14 mpg on local rural road driving.  I expect that I could do a little better on the interstate.  If I push it a bit, I seem to average closer to 12 mpg.   I also have a 1939 LaSalle, but have not yet checked mileage, but will do so this summer. 

I showed my 1966 Cadillac to my retired CPA (who is about 80 years old) and he asked me about the mileage and I said around 12 mpg.  He replied, "I would drive that car if it got only 4 miles per gallon!" 

What kind of mileage are others getting?

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Otto Skorzeny

I always tell people that ask me, "One on the highway, zero in the city."

In actuality, my '56 CDV gets very good mileage. I get 17mpg on the highway with the windows up and 15mpg with the windows down.

In town I get 10 to 12mpg depending on the time of year. Fuel economy is better in the summer months than in the cold months.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

bill henry

Bill Henry

35-709

Here in sunny So. Florida the AC is usually on.  It has been a while since I sold my '66 with AC but as I remember cruising I-95 at 70 with the AC on usually netted me closer to the 12/13 MPG mark.  With my '71, same conditions, I could squeak out 14 MPG --- add a couple of MPG without the AC.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jeff1956

My 56 60S is roughly the same mileage as otto....tho I'm thinking when I was cruising up I55N to Lincoln, Illinois from Springfield, Illinois...I was averaging about 18 mpg.  Not sure as to my city usage because I have never really paid attention to it.  I've never attempted to gauge my tank mileage either...I always fill up @ half tank.  When the gauge was not working I did learn that lesson the hard way...it's embarassing having to go up to someones house and ask to use their phone because your car ran out of gas...then you point to a fine vintage cadillac on the shoulder of the road...LOL

Jeff

The Tassie Devil(le)

With my '60 CDV I was getting around 17 Mpg, and the '72 Eldo was giving me 15 Mpg whilst cruising USA last year.

I will be able to give some up to date figures after next weekend as I will be taking her away for the weekend and using non Ethanol Fuel.

Plus, the Carby has been rebuilt.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Davidinhartford

The worst in all of my Cadillacs was my 74 Eldorado.  It averaged about 9 mpg.

But your friend was right.   The joy of driving these old cars cannot be measured in fuel economy.   The mpg and price of gas is just part of the cost of ownership. 

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Art Woody

I have never checked my m.p.g. around town, but on a 1000 mi. round trip with a group of mixed vintage local club members (all of which were modified or muscle cars) I averaged 13-15 pushing no less than 75 mph or more on the interstate. On the return trip , I solo'd in my bone stock '53 coupe running no faster than 70 mph and got a solid 18 m.p.g. I didn't realize how bad the car needed tuning up until the coil wire corroded and burned causing ignition failure a short while after the trip. I believe now, holding the car around 65 mph on the interstate, I might push 20 m.p.g. I have heard stories of above 20 m.p.g., it would be interesting if we could hear any confirmation on the 331 c.i. or any vintage Cadillac in this catagory. For now I'm not going to claim any better than 18.

Art Woody

I wanted to add, after reviewing this thread and Tassie's comment regarding non-ethenol fuel, my next fuel mileage experiment with my '53 will include just that. I have already tried that experiment with a 1520 cc touring motorcycle, on several tanks of non-ethanol fuel and gained 2 m.p.g.'s consistantly.

Walter Youshock

I know this is going to sound unbelievable, but, here goes:  I got about 21.3 on my '57 going through Ohio in 2002 on the way to the Detroit GNs.  This was cruising along at a steady 65-70 with premium gas and a lead substitute.  This was also on bias tires and the Rochester carb.  Also, the weather was perfect, so all I had opened was the vent windows.

We filled up around Youngtown and drove through Ohio, which, compared to PA, is pretty flat.  The car has never accomplished this again.  It's probably around 17-18 highway and 14 in town.  I have a Carter on it now, so maybe that's lowering it, too.

One of my favorite anecdotes was years ago, I was at the gas station.  A guy came over to admire the car, but the woman (NOT a lady) on the opposite pump said:  "What kind of mileage do you get on THAT thing?"  I replied:  "Madam, when you drive a car like this, you really don't give a damn what kind of mileage you get."

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Don Boshara #594

Downhill in neutral with a strong tail wind I get 12 mpg on my '40 60S.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Walter Youshock on April 13, 2009, 10:08:06 AMA guy came over to admire the car, but the woman (NOT a lady) on the opposite pump said:  "What kind of mileage do you get on THAT thing?"  I replied:  "Madam, when you drive a car like this, you really don't give a damn what kind of mileage you get."

That reminded me of the old gas station attendant joke: "Turn off your motor, lady, you're gaining on me".

TJ Hopland

My 75 eldo hardtop for some reason is in the upper teens most of the time.  My 78 deville always seemed to be around 15 which is about where my 73 is.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Doug Houston

As with all of the above posts, there is a variety of fuel mileages all over the map.

In the days that the '41 Cadillacs were on the roads, it was well accepted that the manual shift jobs got 16 MPG, and the Hydra-Matics got about 14 MPG. One factor here that wasn't in the information. The standard rear axle ratio was 3.77:1. ( not speakeing of the 67 or 75, lof course). The "economy" axle ratio was 3.36:1, and became the standard axle for Hydra-Matic jobs. That axle was a no-cost option, so some manual shift cars had it from the factory.

In the first year or so, that I had my 41-60S, I drove it quite a bit, and sure enough, it logged 14 MPG. It has a H-M trans.

When the '49 models came oput, it was commonly reported that Cadillac would get up to 21 MPG. Cadillac had set a new standard for fuel economy. Remember that most of them had Hydra-Matic on them.

My first current model Cadillac was a '56 convertible. In town (Detroit), it would get around 18.5 MPG. I kept a mileage log, so it was a real measure. On one trip in 1960, to New Jersey, it got 19.2 MPG, and it had that slush-pump Hydra-Matic!

The pre-41 cars did get poorer MPG for a couple of reasons. First, the compression was lower, and they had a higher (numerical) axle ratio.

Subsequent Cadillacs of mine did get poorer fuel economy. The '61 Cadillac I had was the worst one of the bunch, and lousy MPG was one factor. 

The economy in my '64 was better (I forgot exactly), and the '66 was about the same (had A/C), and my '70 was also  about 16 MPG or so. All were convertibles.

Already said, if you love the car, and there are unfavorable characteristics in it, the cost of operation, is simply the cost of doing business, and don't fret over it. I have a Jeep, which pulls about 16 MPG. I have always known it for those vehicles, but Ilove the thing passioantly.

Anybody ot the guts to log the fuel economy for a V16? I haven't!
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

T.L. (Ty) Stinson

Well, they tell me I will get 10 mpg at best on my '37 V12 unless I change the rear.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Otto Skorzeny

The 331,365,390 engine was quite extraordinary for it's day (actually still is). For a 5000 lb car in 1956 to get highway mileage in the mid to high teens was almost unheard of. A typical Ford of the era weighed around 3000 lbs but will only manage to achieve 7 or 8 miles per gallon on the highway if everything is perfect.

Both my Uncle's '54 Ford and my friend's '53 Ford get 7 miles per gallon tops. On the plus side, their city mileage doesn't really change for the worse, though.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

Take into account 4-bbl carburetors and 4-speed Hydra-Matics on the Cadillacs.  Even early 1960's Lincolns and Buicks were running 2-bbl carbs.

Cadillac always advertised their higher pound-to-hp ratios and economy--at a time when mileage really wasn't a big deal at all.  They were pretty good performers for the time and still impressive today!

In the long run, what you spent to buy the car, you got back in mileage, dependability, luxury, stature and resale value.  All you really had to have was the ability to make that initial purchase.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jim Thompson

Maybe one day I will check mine. As it stands, I usually average around 3 months per tank  ;D
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

homeonprunehill

Ihave a '38 La Sal;lle that as a '47  Cadillac engine in it. A tank-full of gasoline dosn't go far. Prior to puutting in the '47
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES