News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

68 ELDO timing chain

Started by Viator Trudeau #8697, October 28, 2006, 07:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau #8697

Hello all, I am still looking for a way to get the front cover off the engine W/O lowering the oil pan. Would this work??  After removing water pump and balancer and all cap screws,  remove the oil seal and tap the two dowell pins flush W/ the block so they wont stop the cover from being lifted and with the larger dia. opening where the seal was and the pins out of the way can the cover be manuvered away without deforming it. The gasket kit comes with the curved end pan gasket to be set in place with the rubber fingers thru the flange of the pan to keep it in place.  The dowell pins can be grasped with a vice grip on the back surface of the block cavity so they wont fall in to the pan. Has any one ever tried this procedure??  or is the curved flange on thr cover  too deep so it cannot be removed.  Thanks,  Viator Trudeau

Michael Stamps 19507

Michael Stamps 19507

Its been brought to my attention that it may be possible but after all that screwing around I bet you would be better off just doing it the right way.

Stampie

Jeff Traikoff

That method would work in theory, however you wont be able to knock the dowel pins back into place, physically speaking they are in there tight and within that timing set cavity there is no room to swing anything and you wont have leverage to squeeze the pin back out using pliers or something.  Also your procedure wont allow access to the pins... if you knock them in there to get it out, you will also need to have them knocked in to get the plate back on and then you lose access.  

I have taken the plate off without moving the pins but it is impossible to line up the seal prongs by shoving the plate back in with pins out.  

You need to drop the pan a few inches to properly do this, its not as daunting as it may seem, the clearance from pan to x-member is enough to do the job right... at least for non-eldo.  

ALSO make sure you snip the little tabs off the ends of that rubber seal or you will get quite frustrated!  GL.

Jeff T.

joe 12138

A repair shop tried doing it the lazy mans way on my ford pickup. He ended up doing it three times because of oil leaks.....but he only got paid ONCE!