News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

77 Seville

Started by mechanic80, January 30, 2013, 09:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanic80

First, let me thank everyone for their tips and information.  I've finished the fuel injector seals and pressure hose change with little complication since I discovered the correct assembly/installation sequence. And not a moment too soon, as the two rear driver's side bank injectors were spraying gas already. It's running like a champ and I barely have to touch the gas pedal to cruise. (Speaking of cruise, I have to figure out the proper operation of that unnecessarily complicated system.)   On two of the injectors,  the synthetic covering over the tip has degraded exposing the metal.  I've reinstalled them (they seem to be working just fine) and will replace them as funds permit.
       The antenna is out and in pieces waiting for the mast cable from Florida.  It broke about 5" back of the mast attachment.  I hope it will be apparent when I get the cable, but I have yet to separate the mast end and cable joint. There's a brass collar that is solidly attached to the tapered plastic cable and allows the mast end to spin a little.  Any experience here?
       I glued the pieces of the right headlight housing together with much success and I can actually aim a solidly secured assembly now. Is that plastic housing shared with DeVille models?  Next project is the driver's door trim panel that seems to be a headache on all Sevilles.  I'll take pics and share anything I may discover in that repair.  I'll be adding fuel pump relays shortly.  Aside from running new power line(s) do I simply use the existing (+) from the ECU to activate the new relays?  Is there any pressure cut out feedback that I have to allow for? Will a single line that is shared by the two electric pumps be sufficient?
       Again, thanks for all the guidance.  I've wanted one of these Sevilles since I saw one at C James Pontiac in Chicago when I worked there in the very early 80's as a service advisor and body shop assistant manager.  This is gonna be FUN!

mechanic80
mechanic80

bcroe

If you go to my PHOTOBUCKET and click the first SUB ALBUM.   70s FUEL INJECTION
then pictures 13 & 14 you will see my way of hooking up a relay, with explanation. 

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/bcroe/

(that is a lower case "L"71, not an upper case "i"71)

click on a Sub-Album

I put the injectors into the loose fuel rail first, then wiggled the assembly into the
intake.  Trying to push the fuel rail on last sheared some O rings, bad leak at 40 psi. 

good luck, Bruce Roe

mechanic80

I tried to access the sub album but got nowhere.  I am a photobucket member, but not too experienced when it comes to my computer.
mechanic80

waterzap

Congrats on the wonderful world of the Seville. Bruce is a great source. I have been through the ringer myself with my 76. When they run, they do run great. Took me about a year to work all the bugs out. After that, havent had to do much.

For Bruce's stuff, click on the left of the page, where it says "Show Albums and Stories"
You will see the 70's fuel injection page. As a tip. Do the timing gear. When (not if) the timing gear fails, you are in a world of hurt. Get a spare ECU, and get spare temp sensors.
Leesburg, AL

mechanic80

And I thought I "clicked" every possible spot  :-[  I'll get to the timing set ASAP.  Thanks for all the input.
mechanic80

bcroe

Quote from: mechanic80 on January 30, 2013, 09:42:26 PM
I tried to access the sub album but got nowhere.  I am a photobucket member, but not too
experienced when it comes to my computer. 

OK try this.  Bruce   http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/bcroe/70s%20FUEL%20INJECTION/

mechanic80

Got to the photobucket app.  Thanks.
mechanic80

Gene Beaird

Norbert,

When I reassembled the headlight buckets on our 79 Seville, I also laid some fiberglass cloth over the cracks in an effort to help brace them up some.  I figured that even if I epoxied the pieces together, the strain from the adjusters and springs and stuff would eventually cause the cracks to open back up.  It's just insurance for not having to go back in there later.  After everything was cured, I pained the buckets in semi-gloss paint to help hide the work.  The work is still visible, but not blatently-obvious.  For the driver and occasional local show car, it's fine. 

The passenger side light bucket was pretty cracked up.  I think that corner had been bumped earlier in the car's life and that was never repaired.  Hopefully that'll never happen again, and I'm hoping my repairs hold through my lifetime.  It's something I'd recommend you do, too.  It's kind of messy, but you should only have to do it once.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

TJ Hopland

On the headlights,

I hit a deer with my 80 Eldo this fall.  The low beam bucket was cracked in 3 places and the high beam in one place.   I saw a few buckets on ebay so I knew they were at least an option but was still thinking of picking up a parts car to fix the rest of the damage so I figured I would make a half hearted attempt to repair it so I could drive it till I decided what to do.   I used zip ties to hold things together during the process.  Most spots had places I could use existing holes but for one crack I had to drill a hole to make a place for a tie where I needed it.   I used the regular two tube JB weld.  It was actually some old already part used tubes I had laying around for a couple years.  One was so old that I could not get it out the cap so I just cracked the tube.  I did not do a careful mix.  I did not even attempt to clean the areas around the cracks. I did not do any grinding like you would do on metal if it was a weld.  I just smeared the stuff in the cracks then tightened the zip ties to hold the cracks shut then smeared the left over over the cracks.  Let it sit overnight.   That was 3 months ago and its still all holding fine.   When I put it back together I forgot to check the hood clearance (was also bent from the deer) so the first time I shut the hood it hit the assembly pretty hard and it even survived that.

So I would think if you did some careful prep work and took some time you could do a very good repair to these things.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason