News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Buyer Beware - "Gary Benefield"

Started by boseephuss, May 30, 2017, 09:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boseephuss

I just wanted to warn folks that may be contacted by someone who claims to be "Gary Benefield" of Minden, Nevada on this forum (email garybennyfieldemail addresses not permitted.)  He contacted me about a wanted to buy post I had made regarding some decorative end caps for the door pulls on my 1972 Eldorado.  He stated that he had some available.  We agreed on a purchase price and he requested I send via MoneyGram.  I requested that he use PayPal or Venmo.  He said he had some very bad problems with PayPal and refused to use them.  He agreed to lower the fee to account for the transfer cost and I sent the money along.  Since the time he received the funds, he has gone radio silent.

I should have known better, but I was being trusting as I have yet to have a poor experience on an enthusiast forum.  That this falls in to the minority of experiences, I have no doubt.  But I wanted to be certain I shared so no one else could be duped by this jerk.
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

V63

Contact both your area and Minden to report to 'Internet crimes' division...advise to also report to Moneygram

I had an issue about a car sale, and when I reported to his area police, I was going to offer his address...the officers reply was  "we know who he is" (and not in a good way).  BTW: He was also a club member

boseephuss

Yes, I have filed a fraud claim with MoneyGram, Google (gmail account,) FBI Cybercrimes, and plan on filing with my bank and contacting authorities.  I appreciate the suggestions!  Hopefully I can get this worked out.  It was less than $200, but I just hate having my trust taken advantage of. >:( >:( >:(
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

Caddyholic

I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

boseephuss

Quote from: Caddyholic on May 30, 2017, 11:27:21 AM
What is his name on this site?

I don't know.  I had listed my personal email in my listing and he contacted me directly via my email address.  I will be sure not to make that mistake again.
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

chrisntam

That blows.  Sorry to hear.  When ess like that happens, I rather throw money out the car window in a parking lot because I know someone will find it and it would make their day/month/year.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

boseephuss

Quote from: chrisntam on May 30, 2017, 02:31:54 PM
That blows.  Sorry to hear.  When ess like that happens, I rather throw money out the car window in a parking lot because I know someone will find it and it would make their day/month/year.

^THIS
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

Steve Passmore

What hurts more is these people are infiltrating what I consider to be a great trustworthy bunch of guys on this forum.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

boseephuss

J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

boseephuss

Quote from: Steve Passmore on June 02, 2017, 03:44:46 AM
What hurts more is these people are infiltrating what I consider to be a great trustworthy bunch of guys on this forum.

My thought exactly.  This is a very specific forum and, though popular, isn't something just anyone would visit.  This seems to be VERY targeted.
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I know what you mean. I have bought and sold a couple of things here... just a few. Both times I just sent from my end because they were on the forum.  Now I admit they were low priced items and I did check to see how many posts they had, but mostly I just did it.
I guess that's just the way of the world now.
Too bad.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

boseephuss

For what it is worth, there is actually a Gary Benefield in Minden, NV.  I contacted him on Facebook and he said he was not the person who had emailed me regarding the Cadillac parts.  So either someone is spoofing him or, well...
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

dochawk

Quote from: V63 on May 30, 2017, 10:14:23 AM
Contact both your area and Minden to report to 'Internet crimes' division...advise to also report to Monogram

Err, do you have any idea *just* how small Minded is?  :)

At 3,000 people, they don't have their own police.  Douglas County has under 50,000, so I doubt that it has such a division . . .  probably doesn't have *any* divisions . . .

It is beautiful . . .

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

jmurrayent

Guys, that's a crazy story.  I grew up in Minden/Gardnerville, Nevada.  The place has grown immensely the past 30 years.  They do obviously have a sheriff's office, but doubtful that they have an internet crimes division.  Always ask for a phone number and talk to the person before sending them money.  Scammers usually won't give you their phone number while real sellers will.  Good luck!
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible
Many 50-53 coupe and sedan parts and cars

boseephuss

Just received a new one:

Hello Buddy

I'm emailing in respect to your advert. Please let me know if you are still looking for  1972 Eldorado Door Pull Strap Decorative End Caps, Email and I'll get back to you.

Warm Regards
Martin A. Greathouse
1702 Chesterfield St,
Garden City, KS 67846
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

boseephuss

yeah, just the Sheriff's office.  They have been engaged.

Quote from: dochawk on June 10, 2017, 07:41:41 PM
Err, do you have any idea *just* how small Minded is?  :)

At 3,000 people, they don't have their own police.  Douglas County has under 50,000, so I doubt that it has such a division . . .  probably doesn't have *any* divisions . . .

It is beautiful . . .

hawk
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: boseephuss on June 22, 2017, 11:05:21 AM
Just received a new one:

Hello Buddy

I'm emailing in respect to your advert. Please let me know if you are still looking for  1972 Eldorado Door Pull Strap Decorative End Caps, Email and I'll get back to you.

Warm Regards
Martin A. Greathouse
1702 Chesterfield St,
Garden City, KS 67846
Looks like the same guy that contacted John Emerson. He has a strange & distinct type of talk. Bad English!! I think an out of country scammer.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

quadfins

This is almost identical wording to a solicitation to another forum poster, who has done follow-up research.

Buyer be very aware.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4