News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

where can I find a new fuel tank for me 79 Seville?

Started by collector, March 13, 2008, 12:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

I need to find a new  fuel tank for my 79 Seville, anyone know where I can find one?

homeonprunehill

Quote from: collector on March 13, 2008, 12:09:44 AM
I need to find a new  fuel tank for my 79 Seville, anyone know where I can find one?

03-12-08
COLLECTOR, I woulds first try a Wreaking Yard for a used one. Don't know where you would get a new-one.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

35-709

There are places that will repair and make your old tank nearly as new.  Check Hemmings, or maybe someone here has had experience with a tank rebuilder.  Shouldn't be hard to get it done.
Below are a couple of possibilities that I found by putting "fuel tank repair" in my Google Search engine.

http://www.gas-tank.com/
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/GasTanks/Cadillac  This last one advertises new tanks, maybe they have one for your Seville.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

John Morris #23947

http://www.gas-tank.com/

Here is a link to what I believe is the best choice in the USA. You send them your tank, from model T to anything, no matter how wasted, even if it has FOOT WIDE HOLES, you get it back like nos. And it is your original tank, which could be important if you have a V-16 car or Eldo Brougham. The link has before and after pictures. Here they are.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

collector

My tank is perfect it just has a few dents in it which makes for the gage not to be correct. Its a 38k all original show Elegante that has been painted. I want it without detns and factory looking. I dont need to flush it out or rebuilt it. Thanks for your help. I bought new tanks for all my other cars, I just like the apperance of a new gas tank when you look under a show car.

cadillacs

I have one in a '79 if you need it. Doc in Tampa
Best of all...it's a Cadillac.

collector

How much and how perfect? Also, is it ready to instal?I dont wanna have to have it boiled out. It must look like new

cadillacs

It is still on the car in my garage. The car is 29 years old......so it doesn't look new. Thanks for your interest. Doc
Best of all...it's a Cadillac.

TMoore - NTCLC

I noticed that there are new ones for the 77-79 Sevilles available on e-bay stores - about 179.00

collector

Well, Ive been looking for over a year and havent seen any repros for these in any Ebay stores. I you could find a link that would be wonderful and much appreicated

collector

Thank you for sending me an ended auction. I saw that. To be honest new they didnt cost that kind of money. A new tank at most is worth 250.00 tops. I wouldnt pay that even if I had to put a tank in the trunk and fill it daily. I want a repro. A gas tank is a gas tank. I thought you said you see them all the time in Ebay stores.

76eldo

I don't think anyone is reproducing gas tanks for your Seville.  Old car parts are supply and demand, and if you want an NOS tank, I guess you have to pay whatever the seller is looking for.

I would try taking your tank down, and either sending it out for repair, or working the dents out through the access hole that is there when you remove the sender/pump assembly.

I just serviced a tank on a 77 Eldorado, and if you have access to a lift, it's not bad at all.

It was nice of that person to take the time to send you that link, closed or not.  You could still contact the seller to see if he has others.

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: collector on May 06, 2008, 07:05:53 PM
.....To be honest new they didnt cost that kind of money. A new tank at most is worth 250.00 tops. I wouldnt pay that even if I had to put a tank in the trunk and fill it daily. I want a repro. A gas tank is a gas tank. I thought you said you see them all the time in Ebay stores. 
The trouble with parts for old cars these days is that no matter what they cost new, they will nearly always cost more to buy them now, especially if they are no longer available.

The same goes for complete cars.

Try buying a 1959 Eldorado Convertible today for what it cost back in 1959 when they were new.

I cannot imagine that anyone will ever be making reproduction Petrol Tanks for any Cadillac of reasonably low production figures as there is no profit in it.   The only reason the Reproduction Market is making tanks for the Tri-five Chevs is that there IS a market, and always will be.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

I like the following that was in the advert "A note on Gas Tank Shipping: Due to the nature and size, a gas tank may incur small dents and scratches from handling and load shifting during shipping. These damages do not affect the fit or function of the part. Neither our 60 Day satisfaction guarantee, nor the manufacturer?s warranty, cover these insignificant damages."

What a cop-out and what guarantee is there that the ones they ship out aren't damaged before they left.

And Collector wants a totally undamaged tank, as his has some small marks already.

Further, if it is a true Diesel Tank, then it won't be any good for Petrol as the Diesel Tanks aren't internally tinned for rust protection.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: collector on May 06, 2008, 07:05:53 PM
Thank you for sending me an ended auction. I saw that. To be honest new they didnt cost that kind of money. A new tank at most is worth 250.00 tops. I wouldnt pay that even if I had to put a tank in the trunk and fill it daily. I want a repro. A gas tank is a gas tank. I thought you said you see them all the time in Ebay stores.
I think you are being a bit hard on Tod because the auction only started on or around the 26th April, and it ended early with the "Buy-it-now" so it could have been still active when Tod Saw it, and posted it.

No matter how long an Auction has to run, once anyone hits the "Buy-it-now" option, it is immediately sold.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TMoore - NTCLC

Collector -

Please accept my apologies - the repro tanks don't appear to be readily available (at least on e-bay), so I just grabbed an auction for the correct tank - more to indicate that the tanks are available than anything else.

One suggestion - there ARE lots of repro Cadillac tanks available in E-bay stores - you might consider contacting those vendors to see if they happen to have the correct tank, or can get it.

Again, I am sorry if you feel I gave you bad information - I wasn't trying to be flip, just trying to be helpful.