News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Show me your whitewalls!

Started by 03vorteczr2, October 20, 2009, 11:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

03vorteczr2

Hello everyone,

Thought this would be a pretty cool topic to have to show the different widths of whitewalls on different cars all in one place. I didnt see one in a quick search so Ill start off with my 53. They are 235/75/15 diamondback with a 3.75 whitewall. What do you guys have?

Chris
Christopher Martinez
1952 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1953 Cadillac Coupe

jeff1956

Mine on the 56 60S are 3 1/4"  235/75/15 Diamondbacks on the Dayton Quadra-SE touring tire platform.  Very satisfied with them!  Beautiful 53 BTW!!

jaxops

My 1956 Series 75 has Diamondback 235/15 3.5" whitewall tires.

My Borther's 1949 Series 75 has Cokers.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Doesn't have anything to do with whitewalls, but I had a "nice" '56 60S back when it was just a driver, just like Jeff's, same color, et al. Also had a NOS rear spear, and before I put it on, I thought how nice a Hitchcock murder weapon it would have been. Five feet long or so.... Argggghhhhh!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

okccadman

American Classic 235/75/15s here on the 56 Coupe.  3 1/4 inch whitewalls.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Dennis DiNorcia

While we are on the topic, how many of you prefer whitewall or black tires on all of today's new cars? Whitewalls seem to be a thing of the past. I personally like the appearance of whitewalls especially on luxury cars. I have a 2006 DTS with 17 inch chrome wheels and would love to see whitewalls on it but so far I have only found Vogues at around $300.00 each. What is the consensus?

EAM 17806

Quote from: Dennis DiNorcia on October 21, 2009, 01:20:01 PM
While we are on the topic, how many of you prefer whitewall or black tires on all of today's new cars? Whitewalls seem to be a thing of the past. I personally like the appearance of whitewalls especially on luxury cars. I have a 2006 DTS with 17 inch chrome wheels and would love to see whitewalls on it but so far I have only found Vogues at around $300.00 each. What is the consensus?
Whitewalls add a lot more class to an auto plus it brings out the beauty in a car, all cars!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

quadfins

To me, whitewalls evoke style, grace, and elegance. Since most modern cars lack those traits, it is no wonder that whitewalls are no longer used by manufactureres.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

jeff1956

barry, 

your car didnt happen to come from north platte/ scottsbluff nebraska area did it?  my car was one of a matching pair bought new back in 56...mine belonged to the lady of the house and when she passed away her husband sold it because it reminded him of her.  was your interior beige broadcloth?  i wish i knew the whereabouts to its twin...id buy it in a heartbeat even if it was in need of resto.

jeff

jeff1956

on the newer designs something like a michelin symmetry or goodyear assurance comfortread with the narrow 1/2 whitewall would be a nice accent...i wouldnt put the big whites on one.

jeff

Chris Conklin

Trying to wear these out and replace them with the correct '66 only triple-white side wall.

I think the only modern car that could look good with a white wall would be a Cadillac sedan, DTS or STS (STS-V would be my choice). And I'd put Vogues on it.
[Just checked the Cadillac site, no STS-V anymore!]
Chris Conklin

03vorteczr2

You guys have some nice cars! Thanks jeff for the compliment you have one very nice 56 there as well.
Jaxops your brothers 49 series 75 has some really wide whites! I wonder how those would look on my 53??
On the newer cars I think a 1/2 to one inch or so whitewall would be just right.
Christopher Martinez
1952 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1953 Cadillac Coupe

Greg McDonnell

I put Coker triple stripe whitewalls on my '66 Eldorado.  As far as I can see, these are exact reproductions of the original tires that came on my car from the factory.

Greg McDonnell
CLC#20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Greg McDonnell

Firestone 721 radials with the correct whitewall width on my '77 Seville...

Greg McDonnell
CLC#20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Otto Skorzeny

These are Firestone Champion 4 1/4" www bias plies.

I now have Coker Classic 3 1/4" www radials.

I think those DBs you have, Jeff look better than the radials I have.I really hate the look of radials on these cars. If I could get more than 10,000 miles on a set I'd keep using bias plies.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

jeff1956

thanks otto!  the gentleman from diamondback suggested that i purchase the "beauty rings" as he called them.  they added 5 or 10 bucks per tire...cant remember which, but they really set the tires off.  i get asked about them atvall the local shows because the guys locally use coker mainly.  i dont know if they offer them anymore but now anyone interested can reference them if they call for new tires.  these only have 7k miles on them and they are a 40k mile tire, but ill probably replace them in the coming year because i scuffed the two on the rear with scotch blocks and they look good until they get dusty or dirtyband the the scuff really shows up.  ill be going with diamondback and the beauty rings again if they are still available.

jeff

Otto Skorzeny

I think that's what makes them look more like BPs. You can just make them out on the picture of my car above.
fward

domer

I don't mean to get off the subject but can someone tell me what is/was the correct tire size and whitewall width for a 1959 Cadillac?  Also, has anyone delt with Doc Sabatino?  Any input on the Mac Daddy wheels/rims?
Dominique Vasquez #24943
1959 Coupe Deville http://bit.ly/1XkRuZc
1994 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OTqOf1

Otto Skorzeny

Are these what you're talking about?

http://www.cadillacworld.net/CadillacKelseyHayesWheelsForSale.html

$2150 for a set! Holy Smokes

They say that 48 spokes are closer to original but I think the originals only had 40 spokes. So my question is this; If they aren't exactly authentic, why are they talking down about the competition's 52 spoke version?

It seems to me that as long as you're making a wheel that isn't exactly authentic, wouldn't more spokes be better?

Coker sells 52 spoke versions for $430 each. That's $1720.

http://store.coker.com/wheels/wire-wheels/

That's $430 you can use for gasoline or to get an extra one for a spare.

No matter whose you buy, they are a sonofabitch to keep clean and nice all the time.
fward

35-709

"No matter whose you buy, they are a sonofabitch to keep clean and nice all the time."

That's gonna be my wife's job.

;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2