News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Tj's 73 Eldo convert w/aftermarket EFI

Started by TJ Hopland, March 13, 2011, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

In another thread someone commented on my car that is noted in my signature.
QuoteAlso noted that you have an aftermarket fuel injection on your '73 Eldo.  My first  cad was a '73 Eldo - cottillion white with Black interior and houndstooth inserts!!  She was a beauty!  Wish I still had her.  I can't imagine why you would opt to go the EFI route - unless you maybe swapped out the motor.  With all the troubles my '76 Eldo EFI is giving me, I am about ready to swap for a carburated engine.  Surely it wasn't to get the (3) EXTRA mpg?? LOLOL -  Regards,  Joe

My car is the pace car colors.  I did the EFI system 3-4 years ago after I finally got around to building a fresh motor to replace the tired leaking one that was in the car when I got it.  I had looked at the timing chain and saw that most of the plastic had fallen off then continued to drive it 3 more years wondering when it was going to let go.  The new motor is basically a stock low compression motor.  The EFI system is a TBI like the DEFI and 87-95 Chev trucks.  It uses a Holley throttle body and injectors with a kit built ECU.   Other than just for a project the big reason I did it was if I ran gas with ethanol in it (which is pretty much all of it now days) it had huge vapor lock issues.   I went through all sorts of attempts to solve it over the 10+ years of having the car.  With the EFI that is one problem that is 100% solved.   At this point I dont think I have gained any MPG but think I maybe could if I put the EGR back in.  I had some other issues causing problems early on in the project that I thought was the EGR's fault so I took it off.  I had to add a ton of fuel after that which makes me think there may be some slight gains to be had getting that hooked back up again.  Its been running fine so I have not really done anything but drive it the last couple years.  Last summer I drove it daily for about a month but as usual got annoyed trying to get rid of a vibration it has had since new so sort of lost interest in spending money on it.  Will have to see what happens in the world and in my life this spring, maybe this will be the year to spend some money again.   I had issues with the engine rebuild also, the new oil pump sized up after about 1000 miles causing some damage to my 'new' motor so that was a lot of time and money spent that was hard to enjoy.

Here is the 'fleet' from a few years ago.  I have others, these were just the ones in regular use at the time.

This is a shot of the TBI   This looks like an earlier shot, I have cleaned things up slightly since that photo.  I see I still had the old fuel line in place there.  I bought the unit used, it was sold as a complete bolt on system with an analog ECU.  It ran alright on the 425 in my 78 but would not run the 500, I could either start and idle or drive but not both without making adjustments.  The chrome valve covers were not to make it look cooler, I had to do those to clear the shaft rocker system.  I did the shaft rocker system because new stock ones were very difficult to find and I did not want to skimp on the rockers after what the rest of the rebuild had cost.

The Megasquirt 2 ECU without the cover before it got mounted.  I think these have had at least 2 revisions since I did this one.  They can pretty much be programmed to run anything.  

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

EldoradoRedd1

WOw Tj that looks like it was a bit difficult, So is the TBI system diff to work with? I was looking f/some info on the 79-85 tbi system

EldoradoRedd1
S.Rhame
S.Rhame

TJ Hopland

The factory stuff was fairly simple and reliable, they ran it on the trucks till 95.  When it comes to tuning and customization is where I decided to go another direction.  The Megasquirt ECU can pretty much be programed to run anything.  Because of this flexibility there is a bit of a learning curve but once you get the basic setup done the tuning is pretty easy.   I really like the TBI's.  You get a lot of the benefits of EFI without some of the complication.  The Holley TBI unit I used was similar to the one GM used on the 454's, was sold as a performance upgrade for the 350's, and was sold as a 'bolt on' TBI conversion complete with ECU that was tuned with dials in the 90's.  It was called the Projection system.   I ran it on a 78 425 for a while.  I suspect it was designed for a 350 so getting it to run on the 500 was a bit of a stretch.  I dont think they make the analog ones anymore, I think they are all computer based now, called the Commander.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

EldoradoRedd1

I heard of the Holly tbi system, Well hopefully by summer my Caddy will b out & ready f/the road. I come o u again TJ f/some advice

EldoradoRedd1
S.Rhame
S.Rhame

TJ Hopland

I did not really get much done on the Eldo this summer (which is almost over already).   I didnt even get much of a chance to drive it.  Too many cars in the driveway that had to me moved and if I got those out of the way too much stuff got put on and around the car in the garage so more often than not it was just easier to drive another car.  My fall looks like its going to be crazy busy with work so we will have to put her away and see what next year holds.   It would be great to have a place to work on stuff in the winter but at least for now I can use that as an excuse not to get anything done.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

I have heard good things about this place and this system.   Its supposedly as close as it gets to bolt on and plug and play.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV