News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 6049 series

Started by Paul Tesone, March 27, 2011, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

I've been wanting to share my restoration experience for a while now , but only recently learned how to post pictures . I hope I can do it again . Here goes - about two years worth of restoration.

Paul Tesone

Sorry - forgot to sign my name on the previous post . The car was in pretty good shape when I bought it , but the paint was getting tired and it wasn't the correct trim tag color. It is supposed to be Menard Gray. So -- the decision was made to repaint it the correct color . Of course that means eventually changing the vinyl upholstery  as well . More to come . Paul Tesone CLC#6876

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Paul:

Nice pictures and nice car.  I look forward to seeing more pictures and viewing more details or your car.

Bill Hedge

Paul Tesone

Paint was stripped by hand . Pretty good sheet metal . P. Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

All sheet metal was epoxy coated . First area of rust found . P Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Rust gone in one area , found more on rear where bumper brackets attach . Same on passenger side . These were the only spots that had to be cut out and replaced . P Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Patch in place . Meant to say "driver's side" in previous post not "passenger side". Car now in primer . Posting these pictures takes time ! P Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Porcelain came back looking good ( Prairie Auto Porcelain ). P Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Porcelain looking good on the engine .Finally some paint . P Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Each little square had to be hand filed to remove small bubbles before applying paint to the surfaces . Plater could not get chrome to reach inside the squares . I'm not certain , but I don't think the grill or these hood pieces came from the factory with chrome inside the squares either . Driver's front fender is not buffed out yet . P Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Dash in primer. Going to Hydro Dip for woodgrain . Almost done with photos . P Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Hydro Dip did a nice job . They worked with me until they got what seems to be the correct " olive burl " wood pattern. I had them extend beyond the required border so my restorer could feather edge the dash paint up to the proper border . Very interesting process. If you google Hydro Dip , you can see a video and the different patterns available . I also had the window surrounds done P Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Radio is not correct. Map light and cigarett lighter have damaged jewels .Correct radio face and different jeweled knobs on the way .P Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Hydro Dipped window surrounds . I bought a glass repro that didn't fit ( too thick ) , so I had a local glass company use the repro as a template to make a new one with thinner glass . Well, I've probably taken up too much space , but I'm done . Hope to be able to report that I'm driving the car this summer . The upholstery will have to wait until the end of the summer . If this post works out , I might have to bore you with my 47 convertible restoration .Thanks for looking . Paul Tesone CLC# 6876

Stinson

Paul,
Your grey color looks beautiful. I don't know where I got the idea it would look dull on my car, ha, ha. That is single stage and just polished out? How long after painting before the rub out?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

P Tesone

Ty - This is a two stage ( bsaecoat/clearcoat ) paint. My restorer said he likes to use the two stage paint especially with the metalic paints ( although I really don't see much in the way of metalic flakes in my paint ). He feels that the basecoat is more forgiving with regard to  a "dusting" after initial application, if it is necessary. I think I'm repeating that information correctly . He tells me that the basecoat drys rather quickly - within an hour or so . He then applies the clearcoat - I think he said within 24 hours.  The clearcoat is then wet sanded with 2000 grit and buffed out. I'm a little uncertain how long he waits after the clearcoat to wet sand . Not long though . He said you don't want to wet sand too quickly because the product will be too soft; and you don't want to wait too long or the product will be hard and more difficult to wet sand . I'm just not sure what he considers too short or too long a time period . Hope I got that all correct and the information is helpful to you . Keep up the good work. I'm anxious to see the final result . I'm sure it will be beautiful . Paul Tesone CLC 3 6876

srk1941

This is no bore, it's absolutely fascinating!  I think this color is very sophisticated, and the car is going to be incredible...
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Paul Tesone

Some additional progress - got back my bumpers and grill from the plater - not a very good photo of the front. Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Window surrounds in place --- Made the mistake of having Hydro Dip woodgrain the windshield center post . I believe it's supposed to be chrome . Too late now . It's going to stay that way . Dash ash tray and defroster vents were rechromed . Ash tray still needs to be painted properly . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Had the under dash radio speaker box restored . Too bad it's not in plain sight because I think it looks pretty good . Paul Tesone CLC# 6876