News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle cowl mount ariel location?

Started by 1937 LaSalle coupe, July 15, 2011, 08:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello everyone. My '37 LaSalle originally had a running board antenna set-up. Not enough left to reconstruct so I need to have the hole locations for the driver side antenna mast. I have a cowl mount antenna and would like some detailed demensions on where to drill the holes. A picture would be great but demensions will work. Thanks ahead of time... John Lehman CLC # 26365....

Warren Rauch #4286

Cadillac did not offer a cowl anntena for 1937. They only had running board and roof top models. The cowl mounted type that mounted on two insolaters to the side of the cowl was announced in the Cadillac Accelerator in Feb 1938 and only used thru the end of 1938 models. That is when the vacuum aerials became avalible for the 1939 models.
Since Cadillac didn't offer it ,there is no right or wrong. In 1938 , they centered it on the A pillar (front to Back) . THe top insolator was nearly inline with top hood chrome (not the moulding that runs the length of the car), maybe a little up. The lower insolator was below the lowest hood chrome by about 1/2 the width of the A pillar.IF you are using the 1937 radio ,you will need to turn over the aerial leadin plug on the radio.If a photo copy of the 1938 Illus. anouncement would help , I'll need your address to mail it to. Warren

Classic

I believe John Bertolone sells reproduction running board antennas.  Lives in Michigan.  Phone number should be in directory.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

markl

John,
Adding to what Warren and Gene have already said, I'll throw out one other option.  The reproduction under-running-board antennas are a bit pricey.  And I think you will find some discussion on other threads on the forum that indicate that they really don't work that well, particularly for FM reception.  Given the programing available on AM these days, you are probably going to want to install an FM receiver in some hidden location if the radio is really going to be used.

But as a fellow owner of a 37, I'd think long and hard about installing an external antennae.  It just doesn't look right on a 37 because, as Warren points out, the absence of an antenna visible on the outside of the vehicle was one of the hallmarks of these cars.

So what to do?  You might want to look at some of the modern "hidden" antennas available for cars in general.  I believe these are all amplified antennas and hence require power.  If your car remains 6-volt, positive ground, this may prove a bit of a problem, but not insurmountable.

I do know that patching the antenna holes, if you later change your mind, is way more trouble than one might imagine.  I've done this on a couple of Alfas, and I've always cursed the factory for installing the thing in the first place.  My 82 Spider has the antenna integrated into the windshield for a much nicer look, and it always makes me think of the 37 LaSalle and one of its forward looking features.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

Paul Tesone

John - I believe that Bruce Berghoff ( 231-889-3343 ) is also reproing these under running board antenas . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876