Author Topic: Forum Use  (Read 9595 times)

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
  • Name: Steven M. Tuck
Re: Forum Use
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 04:21:40 AM »
Hard pressed to see the point of cutting non club members off from the forum after a given time period.

You can't force anyone to join the club but " Washburn's Wisdom " in the SS mag is priceless and a bargain for $ 30 on line.

Porter,

No one is suggesting to cut non club members off but ask that they join. By your own statement above the SS mag on line cost of $30 is a bargin. With that said, an on line CLC forum fee should not be an issue. Jason's suggestion of read only for non members is a good suggestion until they decide to join.
1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://bit.ly/1NfPNHE
Car Show Signs and Car Photo Books
http://carshowsigns.net/

Offline CDV

• Name: CDV
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »
Steven,

Pointless to debate this topic anymore, you know what others think of your idea - the ones that disagree with you.  Beating a dead horse now IMO.

Johnny Washburn is a buddy of mine and its only fair I pay my dues so I can get access to " Washburn's Wisdom " so I'm a club member once again - you have inspired at least one new member. If I didn't reply to this thread it would have likely died already.

Just like the real name rule - I call that a bad idea who's time had come. What the executive committee decided to do and so it is.

Johnny is on the right and Tim Coy on the left holding the Cadillac award I made for him.

Porter Littlefield
CLC # 21919

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 07:51:54 AM »
Steven,

Pointless to debate this topic anymore, you know what others think of your idea - the ones that disagree with you.  Beating a dead horse now IMO.

Johnny Washburn is a buddy of mine and its only fair I pay my dues so I can get access to " Washburn's Wisdom " so I'm a club member once again - you have inspired at least one new member. If I didn't reply to this thread it would have likely died already.

Just like the real name rule - I call that a bad idea who's time had come. What the executive committee decided to do and so it is.

Johnny is on the right and Tim Coy on the left holding the Cadillac award I made for him.

Porter Littlefield
CLC # 21919

Porter,

I am happy I inspired you to join. I am not continuing the discussion, people like yourself who respond are continuing the discussion. Many different points of views have come out of this topic including my own. It is not pointless to debate the topic. It is being considered because I have been contacted directly.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:54:06 AM by StevenTuck »

Offline Jason Edge

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #14225
  • Name: Jason Edge
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
I've always held that a "Public Restricted" site format works best. Make it public so that everyone can see and read the posts, but restricted to members to post new content.  In very simple terms that means a non-member that has perhaps been posting on the forum, for weeks, months or even years, needs to either step up and become a CLC member to participate, or have limited read only access to the forum. 

This will mean two things:
ONE: Somenone that has "kicked the CLC tires" and wants to be a part of the club joins and participates (a CLC Gain)
TWO: Someone that has posted for some period of time as a non-member does not join (Not a CLC Gain but not a Loss either).
...to me this is a very simple issue to resolve once and for all.
Jason Edge
Director CLC 1963-1964 Cadillac Chapter - www.6364Cadillac.com
VP CLC Eastern NC Region - www.clcnceasternregion.com
email - jasonedge@nc.rr.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT
2012 SRX Performance Edition

Offline STDog

• CLC#24051
  • Thomas Dodd
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »
TWO: Someone that has posted for some period of time as a non-member does not join (Not a CLC Gain but not a Loss either).

You think not?

I think there are a lot of non-members that contribute a lot.
I haven't been here a lot for was while, but I know several non members that were regular contributors a one point (several were run off  by the name rule). I'm talking about troubleshooting and repair help, not general conversation or commerce.

Most of my posts were as a non-member, either before I first became a member or while my membership had lapsed.

Offline Matt

• Name: Matthew Taylor
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
...to me this is a very simple issue to resolve once and for all.

Sorry, but this is an example of the elitist attitude that puts people off of joining the CLC - the same kind of attitude I experienced in 2002 in Detroit that kept me from renewing my membership for 10 years.  You don't have to be a member in order to have valuable input on message board topics.  One of the best ways that a person can be convinced to join is to have their contribution to the group validated.  A "read-only" policy is not very friendly.
Matthew Taylor
PCS MO Route 66 Chapter President

Offline Jason Edge

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #14225
  • Name: Jason Edge
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
My Yorkshire Terrior contributes a lot too...she loves to ride along for free but puts nothing toward the actual mantenance of my 64 CDV or the CLC. :-)

If someone likes posting here on the CLC site forum so much they should have zero problem paying an annual fee that is less than the price of a single good meal for two, not to mention all the perks they receive and the financial support in running our 7000+ member club. 

I encourage everyone to sign up to the CLC, join a region and get involved with local region meet-ups, join a chapter that specializes in your specfic year or body style, go to the grand national, and take part in the driving tours.  If you have enjoyed the message board here in the site you are only getting a very peripheral taste of what being a member is about. 

For those that think Club Forums should be a freebie where you don't have to be a member to participate or financially support the club, all I can say is have at it as long as the CLC management allows it.  I know when I first got into Cadillacs back in the late 90's, the first question I had was "where's the Cadillac Club?".  I found the CLC, joined, hit the 10 year mark, became a life member and have never looked back. I think balking at $35 /year to take advantange of the many perks that the club offers is pretty silly actually.

I sincerely have no hard feelings toward any Cadillac Enthusiasts...I'm on your side in that respect, but I'm a paid, card carrying "CLUB MEMBER" which to me still means something - I do club stuff and you don't...until you join! :-)
Jason.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:10:04 PM by Jason Edge »
Jason Edge
Director CLC 1963-1964 Cadillac Chapter - www.6364Cadillac.com
VP CLC Eastern NC Region - www.clcnceasternregion.com
email - jasonedge@nc.rr.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT
2012 SRX Performance Edition

Offline CDV

• Name: CDV
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »

Porter,

I am happy I inspired you to join. I am not continuing the discussion, people like yourself who respond are continuing the discussion. Many different points of views have come out of this topic including my own. It is not pointless to debate the topic. It is being considered because I have been contacted directly.

Last time I checked I'm allowed to continue this discussion, many people have voiced their non approval of your idea but whatever the executive committee rules so be it.

I'm ready to move on from this topic and have some constructive discussions about the Cadillac brand.

Maybe a few more people will join the CLC club as I have resulting from this "debate" if you will.

Porter Littlefield

CLC # 21919

Offline STDog

• CLC#24051
  • Thomas Dodd
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
My Yorkshire Terrior contributes a lot too...she loves to ride along for free but puts nothing toward the actual mantenance of my 64 CDV or the CLC. :-)

But non members on the forum do contribute, offering advice and assistance to all, in many cases where members don't.
I could easily find a dozen posts here that went unanswered by CLC members for weeks until a non member came along and helped.

I can find a dozen more where members offered incorrect advice and were corrected by more knowledgeable non members.

If someone likes posting here on the CLC site forum so much they should have zero problem paying an annual fee

Instead what you will get is knowledgeable people going elsewhere to offer their assistance.

Have you not noticed how many people offer professional advice on forums for free because they enjoy helping others?
You can find professional mechanics, restorers, etc. on many forums. They offer advice for free online that you would pay $$$ for if you went to their business.

Many, probably most people like that will just go somewhere else, where their input is valued above their financial contribution.

Would you really rather not have the assistance of a long term professional mechanic who worked on the cars for decades because you want the to pay for the privileged of helping you?

Sure, there are lot that come here and ask for help and disappear. But occasionally someone sticks around and shares their knowledge. What they offer is worth far more that the dues for 100 members.

I've learned a lot on one forum and then shared it back on the other forums I frequent. That goes for many forums and many subjects, not just Cadillac or even automotive interests.

Offline Glen

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #727
  • Name: Glen Houlton
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »
Excellent post STDog,  I agree 100%. 

If the powers that be are really contemplating this move I think they will find out it is much harder to do than they think.  There is a lot of work in managing the membership list. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Offline Matt

• Name: Matthew Taylor
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »
I personally belong to three Clubs - PCS, POCI, and CLC.  Every time I renew my membership in each club I have to weigh the cost vs the benefit of each one.  It is very telling that I have multiple year memberships to the PCS and POCI, and only a single year to the CLC.  And this is after a 10-year hiatus in the CLC.  And, for those who don't know, POCI is the Pontiac-Oakland Club International.  Quite a few Professional Cars were built on a Pontiac Chassis.
Matthew Taylor
PCS MO Route 66 Chapter President

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2012, 04:14:30 AM »
I personally belong to three Clubs - PCS, POCI, and CLC.  Every time I renew my membership in each club I have to weigh the cost vs the benefit of each one.  It is very telling that I have multiple year memberships to the PCS and POCI, and only a single year to the CLC.  And this is after a 10-year hiatus in the CLC.  And, for those who don't know, POCI is the Pontiac-Oakland Club International.  Quite a few Professional Cars were built on a Pontiac Chassis.
Very well put. Right now the forum is not a benefit of CLC membership since it is free to nonmembers. If the forum was a benefit of memberhip it would be available to CLC members only.

Offline Glen

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #727
  • Name: Glen Houlton
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 12:05:35 AM »
I disagree; the forum is a benefit for all users.  Just because non members also use it does not detract from the benefit for members.  In fact (as mentioned above) the members benefit from the input of non members.  It is a win-win. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2012, 05:09:14 AM »
I think our forum readers need to hear what "Big Fins", John , wrote me in a personal message. Seems he must be afraid of something that he would not post his opinion of this topic. I guess he would not post it because it was an opinion of me and not the topic. I wrote the topic to get everyone's input and view because ultimately it is our forum, not mine nor "Big Fins", John.

Big Fins, John message:

"You know, it's people like you with the 'Holier Than Thou' attitude that are keeping me from spending the measley $35/year to re-up in this Club after a 12 year membership.

I hope you are happy with the people that you are driving away. You only get to see the ones that will post to the board. I refuse to anymore. You don't get to see all of the private PM's and emails that circulate.

Pretty soon there will only be a select group of miserable old people such as yourself left here to swap what you think is correct information. The misinformation that is spewed here is laughable. You have people rebuilding their cars for a faulty fuse.

Had it not been for the open policy of the Club, I would never have joined in the first place. But you will never be able to see the damage done by people like you to the Club. Enjoy it Steve, it's all yours. Such a shame."

Offline Guidematic

• CLC# 19186
  • Name: M. Jones
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 08:51:35 AM »

I think you've operstepped the line now, Steven. A "Personal Message" is just that. Now you have brought it to a public forum.

If you started this subject to gather opinion, you have categorically disagreed and/or argued with everyone that has a differing opinion than yours. As far as I'm concerned you are flogging a dead horse on the issue. But now you have given it a new life, but in a differant manner. Where will you stop when it comes to forcing your opinion? I have my doubts.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69