News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 DeVille Convertible - Restoration

Started by DeVille68, April 27, 2014, 02:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeVille68

Hi Don,

No, its silver pine green.
Repainted some 20 years ago, but it matches quite well. The top is supposed to be the color: Sandalwood

This silver pine green is really interesting since its changing color depending on the light condition. And it is not a "powerful" color, hence the lines of the car a nicely accentuated.
I think a bright color works best for these kind of cars where the lines are equally important.
I haven't seen a Caribe Aqua yet, but it is also not a dominate color.

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

DeVille68

Hi guys,

My "normal" light restoration came to a quick stop in the last three weeks.
Four weeks ago I organized all the necessities for the Cadillac Big Meet in Kremsmünster near Linz Austria. It will be a 1500 km cruise for me! :-)

Unfortunately the brakes gave up just a week ago on a Friday night cruise. I knew that I would have needed to adjust the brakes since the car slightly pulled to the left while braking. But I never bothered. On that Friday night however, I heard strange rubbing noises coming from the front left brake. So the next day I opened up the front brake and was shocked to find that I had been braking with almost no brake pad at all!  :o
The front brake drum is now severely damaged by the rivets that left two nice deep grooves in the drum....   :-\

Check out the first picture. You can see that the brake pad is almost gone and the rivets had already touched the drum. The arrows indicate the two grooves...

During the last week I searched and ordered some new brake shoes though my local us parts dealer. He ordered some from Raybestos. These are clued not riveted anymore. Fit and finished is quite good, dropped easily in place. I had not ordered new brake internal parts like springs and stuff. So I reused my old ones. I think I will replace all springs and such during the winter, along with painting the backing plate and so one. Lets see.

During reassembly I noticed that the stabilizer plates on the secondary shoe were wrongly installed. Obviously they need to be such that they press on the braking shoe, so they must be on top. Mine were below - having no function at all....

One question though: I noticed that the return springs grab from the top on the right of the car and from the bottom at the left of the car. Should it be like this, or are my springs on the left wrong?

Check out the last two pictures comparing the brake assembly on the driver and passenger side.
I think my driver side assembly has to wrong springs?!? (compare how the springs attach above the brake cylinders)
Can anyone confirm?

I think I also found the reason why my brakes went bad. Compare the link that holds the actuating lever in place. The lever of the driver side brake is just a few milimeters longer, hence the pawl does not engage fully into the star wheel. Hence the star wheel is free to turn in any direction. I thing that the star wheel screwed itself out while driving, hence creating a brake imbalance and in turn the car pulled to the left as described in the beginning. So now I will just bend the link a bit, such that it is shorter and such that the pawl is pulled down engaging into the star wheel.

Important lesson: Make absolutely sure that the pawl is engaged into the star wheel!! Else your brake will "adjust" itself in an unwanted manner!

At this point I am still waiting on the brake drums to arrive from usa.

I hope I can still make it to the Cadillac big meet!
Wish me luck!  :)

Best regards
Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

I also considered the car to be Caribe Aqua! What's the interior's color code?
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

DeVille68

Quote from: 6262 on August 19, 2014, 03:25:10 AM
Hi Nicolas,

I also considered the car to be Caribe Aqua! What's the interior's color code?

No, I am pretty sure that it is Silver Pine Green. It was repainted once and the color under the over-sprayed rubber matched exactly.

Body tag numbers:
TR: Trim Color and Material Used: 371
Paint: Lower and Upper Body Color: 30-6

Interior is dark green. Looks very elegant and rich.

Would be great if anyone has two seat belt anchor covers in dark green.
So far I only found some in black and blue.

I'll be at the upcoming Cadillac Meeting in Austria. Will snap a picture of one with the color Caribe Aqua - then we can compare.

Best regards,
Nicolas

It's a great color anyway, and rarely seen. 
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

DeVille68

So a few weeks ago I was at the Cadillac Big Meet 2014 in Kremsmünster, Austria.
On the drive there I had a tire blow out on the highway. Luckily, no damage to the car.
I did put the spare on and continued the journey.
Had lots of vibrations in the steering and in the car. The drive back home was horrible, since the vibrations increased quite a bit.
After I was home again, I checked the steering system and suspension. I found that the center link is totally worn out. It is still an original peace, so that needs to be replaced.

I will also replace the tires. Buy some new white walls with the correct double white stripe for 68. Ideally, I want the radial with bias play look and the correct stripes. I am in contact with Coker and DB now, to see if they can make me a 900-15 tire. Lets see

Does anyone know who makes the best suspension parts?
Upper ball joints and steering center link?

Thanks a lot
Best regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

Hi guys,

Another question regarding the brakes:

How makes the correct set of brake parts for my front drum brakes?

My 68 Caddy needs some special springs and hold-down studs for the stabilizer plate.
All the kits I found contain the wrong parts.

How do you overhaul your brakes properly?
Which company sells the correct stuff?

Thanks for your help
Best regards
Nicolas

DeVille68

DeVille68

So, I just ordered my new radials from Diamond Back!  :)
I am very excited to finally drive my Caddy with almost totally correct tires! :-)

A friend here in Europe sent me a picture of his original 67 bias ply tire. So I have now two measurements, the other one from David Smith.

I have attached two pictures of original bias ply tires for 67/68.

Here is what I measured:
White   -  black  -  white
18/32'' - 13/32'' - 6/32''

Distance from rim: 5/8''

Please consult the pictures for the details.

I ordered DB II tires 235/75 R 15

Regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

I just found that nice website listing all possible service manuals and other literatures of Cadillac. Also a sections about books.
Check it out!

http://www.booksonvintagecadillacs.com

Davidinhartford

Excellent!   I can't wait to see them on your car!

I am sure you will be very happy with their appearance.    When I was in Lake George for the Grand National there were several cars with  the incorrect ones (too wide) but one other guy with a beautiful white 68 Coupe Deville had a set of the Diamondback ones like mine.   

It's the little details that make the difference.     

DeVille68

Today I prepared my Caddy for the winter. I did not use the Caddy a full month now and it started right up - perfectly. Like a modern car.

First up was washing the car. Still had a lot of dirt and dust from the drive to the Cadillac Big Meet in Kremsmünster.

Second task was to install my new hood insulation that I had laying around for some time now. Two months ago I sprayed the underside of my hood with semi gloss por-15. Looks very nice.

Be aware when installing your hood insulation. I got mine from REM. The front pre-cut holes do not line up with the original holes in the hood. Use the back holes (and middle holes) to line up the insulation and then locate the correct holes in the hood. See the picture below in installed condition. You may notice that some of the pre-cuts are too close to the boarder of the insulation.

Third task was to replace the thermostat gasket since it was leaking some water. I used a new gasket from fel-pro. Fits nicely. Let's see if it also remains leak free...

Fourth task: Find another A arm bushing shield for the driver side. As listed in the master parts book, there should be a shield over the rear upper A arm bushing shielding it from the exhaust heat. Does anyone has one for the driver side? See the picture below of my passenger side shield. GM part number is: 1492962
Attached two pictures, one showing my passenger side, the other one the master parts illustration page.

Fifth  task was to add some sae 90 oil to my differential. While doing that I noticed a little sticker around the filler screw. It said: "Use special oil for the controlled differential".

Question: Does that mean that I have a controlled differential? How can I verify that I indeed have a controlled differential?

Best regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

so there is an identification number stamped on the front face of the carrier assembly at the end of the oil return passage.

My Caddy has indeed a controlled differential, because the stamping reads: G-2    (see picture attached)
Which is a controlled differential with 2.94-1 gear ratio.

Where can I get the correct gear oil for a controlled differential?

DeVille68

Hi guys,

So my steering parts, brake drum and tires should be underway now.
Today was again a quite nice October day - ideal to work on the car. Since I store mine in a old barn.

I finally attempted to remove the original real rosewood veneer on the dashboard. It is applied to a thin sheet metal. The sheet metal is then glued to the dash board.

The finish of my rosewood was peeling of and since I am restoring the other panels too, I wanted to have a complete look. I was able to remove the veneer without damaging it.
Here is what I did:

First, you need some tools. See the first picture. I used different sizes of scrapers. Also a putty knife is handy. Additionally you need a heat gun.

Second picture shows how I pealed the veneer of the dashboard. Gently heat the veneer while trying to loosen the glue with lateral and vertical movements with your scraper.

I found that the lower edge is usually more easily accessible and the glue is probably gone at the edges on the bottom. Also both ends of the veneer were already loose. I was "lucky" in the sense that the sheet metal has started to rust, hence adhesion was low.

That is basically all that is to it. Just be very careful with the heat gun. I "backed" my windshield washer lens in the process!  :(

Now I have to determine if I can reuse my original veneer of if I need to make me a new one. I was able to locale original Brazilian rosewood nearby. Some local companies still have em.

Let me know if you need a rosewood dash veneer - I will make a few more if there is any interest.

Best regards,
Nicolas

Coupe Deville

Quote from: DeVille68 on September 27, 2014, 12:02:12 PM
Where can I get the correct gear oil for a controlled differential?

I believe the original gear oil was SAE 90 weight gear oil, witch is equivalent to 80w-90 gear oil today.   
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

DeVille68

Quote from: Coupe Deville on October 14, 2014, 05:18:29 PM
I believe the original gear oil was SAE 90 weight gear oil, witch is equivalent to 80w-90 gear oil today.   

Yes, that is what I heard from my oil suppliers.

Here is what they told me:

• The norm "MIL-L-2105-B" required by Cadillac (this norm is mentioned in my Shop Manual for 68) is today "equivalent" by the API GL-5 standard. The paper API 1560 "Lubricant Service Designations for Automotive Manual Transmissions, Manual Transaxles, and Axles, EIGHTH EDITION, APRIL 2013" defines the purpose of these oils:
    Quote3.2 API GL-5
    The designation API GL-5 denotes lubricants intended for gears, particularly hypoid gears, in axles operating under various combinations of high-speed/shock load and low-speed/high-torque conditions. The performance specifications for API GL-5 are defined in the most recent version of ASTM D7450.

• Mineral or synthetic based oils. Viscosity rating in the range of SAE 75W/90, SAE 75W/140 are only possible with synthetic oils.
    They do not recommend to use synthetic oil for refilling if the axle was not out for a complete rebuild. Since it can wash out deposits.
  • Viscosity rating of  SAE 80W/90 for a mineral based oil is also possible but only by the addition of VII (Viscosity Index Improver) additives. These VII additives can lead to more shear loss. Hence it will degrade the performance of the gear oil.
  • A "normal" SAE 90 is the recommended oil. Especially for classic cars that you do not operate in extreme climate conditions. You hardly ever start the car at around -20°C.  Hence a SAE 80W/90  does not give you that much improvement in constant viscosity. You will probably operate your car in the temperature range 10-35°C, hence the cold-start abilities of say a SAE 70W/90 is not really needed.
  • A too thick oil  is also not recommended because the gears will splash the oil around and when it is too thick it will form an oil foam which is not good. The oil starts to have air bubbles degrading the ability of the oil to lubricate the contact surfaces. Additionally a tick oil will not be able to flow as easily as a thinner oil between the tiny gaps between the gear teeth.
  • Special additives are necessary for a controlled (limited slip)  differential. The additives will prevent knocking sounds. Try to get a pre-mixed oil, one that is specifically designed for the task as opposed to just adding some LS-additives later. 

Unfortunately there is no test procedure for testing the quality and effectiveness of the additives. You probably need to choose the oil that leaves the best impression.

I settled for the oil SUPER DUTY LS 90 (SAE 90) from a local Swiss company called Panolin. I think they also sell worldwide.

I hope these informations will be useful for someone trying to find an LS oil.

Best regards,
Nicolas

mgbeda

Hi Nicolas,

Looks like you are doing very good work.  That is a car to be proud of.  Keep it up!

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

DeVille68

Quote from: mgbeda on October 22, 2014, 03:02:57 PM
Hi Nicolas,

Looks like you are doing very good work.  That is a car to be proud of.  Keep it up!

-mB

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your nice words! Appreciate it!  :)

Here are some more pictures of the rosewood veneer.
Still not sure if I should try to repair my original piece or if I should create a new one. I am in contact with a company that still has some original Brazilian rosewood veneer with the correct pattern and size.

There is a small area of damage to the wood, as you can see from the pictures below.
In some areas it also started to separate from the metal backing plate. And the backing plate is rusty. Just surface rust.

Any advice on how to glue the wood down to the metal again?
And how to repair the damage?

Best regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

Hi guys,

A friend removed my old tires from the rims and I will now clean them and paint em gray.

As I was examining the five rims, I found that I have some original ones and some reproduction ones?!
Can anyone help me out on this one?

• Three out of five have a "double hump" - hence fully compatible with a tubeless tire.
  • Two of these have "GM" stamped - shown in the first picture. And some other numbers, encoding the size of the rim: 15x6 JK
    Consider the second picture. What do these other codes mean? What does JK mean?
  • One out of these three rims looks exactly the same but does not have a "GM" stamping. Instead it shows the logo of Kelsey Hayes. See the third picture. 
  • The other two wheels (out of the five) have a green sticker on them with some part numbers and the Kelsey Hayes Logo. Compare the fourth picture.
    These last two rims are different from the other three in the sense that these two only have one "hump". Consider the last picture. On the left is a "GM" rim and on the right a "Kelsey Hayes" rim. I have marked the two humps on the GM rim with a green arrow. The Kelsey Hayes rim has only one hump. Note also how the middle of the rim is curved.

Can anyone tell me more about these rims?
From what year are they?
(one of them has the number "67" stamped on it - so I assume this rim was manufactured in the year 1967?

Is it save to use a tubeless tire on the two Kelsey Hayes rims without the double hump?

Best regards,
Nicolas

P.S: The correct color of these rims should be "gray primer" - at least that is what my Master Parts Book tells me! So it seems that three out of five have the correct color.

DeVille68

and here picture 4 and 5