News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bringing a 46 back to life

Started by RussK, July 19, 2014, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ austin

That looks really fantastic.  Fantastic DIY skills.
R.Austin

Gene Beaird

Man, nice work!  And while not being exact replacements, the work you're doing at least _looks_ period-correct.  As others have said, very nice work with the interior.  You're a pro!!!

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

RussK

Well I got my carpet in and finished, finished the B-pillar on the right.

All that is left is to do the L B-pillar, and find a drivers door arm rest. Then next I have to figure out what to do with the trunk

Russell kidd

RussK

Russ Austin, Gene Beaird

Thanks for the complements.
And while not restoring back to OE, I'm doing my best for it to look period-correct.

I priced some of the materials for OE replacement, and I about finished the whole inside for just the cost of material to cover the front seat would have been.

I should be done with the interior this week end ,weather permitting.

Next question, what should I use for the trunk? I was told just to use carpet, but I just don't
want to do that, I want it to look more OE than that.

The rubber mat is to far gone to reuse, so I'm trying to find some kind of replacement that's within budget.
Also the panels need replacing but haven't found a alternative to use, so may just recover them the best I can.
I will be going to a upholstery shop this weekend for some ideas for the sides and back.
Any ideas or tips would help.

And again thanks for the kind words.
   Russ   
Russell kidd

RussK

Well I found a arm rest, here it is as I pulled it from the box

Fix the foam a little

re-shape it and recover it to match

Now the drivers side matched the passenger side.

I still need some ideas about redoing the trunk.
I went to a fabric shop and couldn't come up with any thing that jumped out at me. I will go to another this weekend if I can get a chance.

Went to drive the kids to their softball game and my battery was dead, turned out to be just that, a bad battery.
Its nice having it back on the road.
Russell kidd

RussK

I haven't been working on the cadi for a little while, but I have been enjoying it.
I went to my daughters game in it last week and a man today came up and asked were it was, he had snapped this photo of it and wanted to see it again.
I got him to send me the pic so I could post it.

I just got my drivers door glass ( old one was cracked) it will be going in this weekend I hope.
I still have to find some replacement spears for the drivers side and redo the trunk.
Russell kidd

RussK

I kind got side tracked off of the cadi, I got another project to get running so the cadi been neglected for a little.
I got some material for the trunk, drivers glass, new u joints to install and its back on the road   ;D
Here is a pic of what stalled the work on the cadi

My wife said we got to many cars, 1st thing out of my youngest was "We are not selling the Cadillac"
so I guess I have to work on it some more ;)
Russell kidd

RussK

Well I got some more done to the Cadi,
I got my heater and defroster working ;D
last time I drove it , it was 48° out side and I froze. I only got the right side working, the left is DOA so some eBay action may be coming up.
Even with just the right side it warms up nicely, and I only got one speed out of it, but its enough to keep it in the comfort zone.
Since I really don't drive it much on colder days I might just leave it alone.
Russell kidd

joeceretti

:) :) :) :) :) :)

QuoteMy wife said we got to many cars, 1st thing out of my youngest was "We are not selling the Cadillac"
so I guess I have to work on it some more

This makes me feel good. It goes against the logic of some that the youth are willing to forget these wonderful old cars. On the other side of the coin, the wife ALWAYS (not always) but typically says, "YOU HAVE TOO MANY CARS!" Only because she just plainly doesn't get it. She can't understand why we would take a glass of wine, and a lawn chair, and sit and just look at the car. For hours, with your youngest by your side. A beautiful thing, to appreciate the accomplishment and the art of it all.

On a side note, I wish the engineers/designers had decided to place my spare the way yours is.

Paul Tesone

You should be very proud of what you have accomplished . Keep the photos coming . Paul Tesone CLC #6876 .

RussK

I thought I had U-joints, but what I got is not correct for this car. I think this is what I need U-Joint MOOG 536
I found these on line but they are listed for a commercial chassis, I have a 62 series but they look right.
Does any body know if they fit the 62 series as well?
would like to order them and put this thing back on the road, my daughter wants to be driven to the prom in it, so the pressure is on.
thanks Russ
Russell kidd

Smedly

Joe I thought I was the only one that did that. I sit every day and drink my morning coffee in the front seat. Some days the boys join me some days I wait till they are gone to school.
Russ, My boys also say NOT THE CADDY. and my wife says to many toys but I don't think anyone wants her 2004 windstar >:D.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Bill Young

Beautiful work , she is looking great. One question if your Cadillac is a 1946 shouldn't the Cadillac letters on the front fenders be individual block letters not the script?

RussK

Quote from: Bill Young on April 11, 2015, 01:53:19 PM
Beautiful work , she is looking great. One question if your Cadillac is a 1946 shouldn't the Cadillac letters on the front fenders be individual block letters not the script?
You are right it should have the block letters, but this was the way I got it.
Its got the rubberized rear fender guards, and its registered as a 46.
Thanks Russ   
Russell kidd

Smedly

Hey Russel, we have not heard from you in a while how are you making out with the 46. This post gave me the itch and I have now started to redo my interior. I am using some of you photos as reference for Ideas.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

RussK

Haven't posted for a while, I had a guy gave me a offer I couldn't refuse for my 46, so I let it go. I then found a 55 that I wanted, the day I left to go get it he sold it out from under me. I was mad but I did get my 500 down payment back. so now I'm with out a older project, but looking.
Russell kidd