News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974 Eldorado hood heat insulator

Started by 13912, January 28, 2015, 09:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The 1974 Eldorado convertible I bought last year does not have a hood mounted engine heat insulator. Since the car originally had one I assume they are important and most likely necessary, but I've been told the ones produced today are chinese made & poor quality and tend to sag after a short time. Any guidance from CLC members about a viable solution would be very much appreciated.
Bob Dwyer

TJ Hopland

I pulled mine out after a coolant leak several years ago and don't remember noticing a huge difference.  I had planned on replacing it but just have not quite got around to it yet.   Seems like there was a thread in the last 6 months or so here where someone found a decent quality replacement. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Moffo

I ordered one from rubbertherightway for my 76. Insulation is good so far(only a year old), yet the mounting holes did not exactly line up with the original ones.
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Bob,
The 70's Eldorado s put out a lot of heat and one of the purposes of the Hood Pad is to keep that heat away from the paint on the hood to prevent it from discoloring.  The second purpose of course is sound attenuation.  Most replacement hood pads are just cut fiberglass pads, as opposed to the molded one from the factory.  I haven't bought one in a while, but FEN used to have a really good molded pad.  It wasn't cheap, but it sure looked good. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

mistertudball

My '73s hood insulation was really nasty so I bought a new pad from OPGI for about $43 plus some retainers, which I didn't need because the old ones came out without breaking.  The holes lined up exactly and the job was done in no time.  Still looks great after one season.
David Bartosic CLC19619

TJ, Jeff, Greg, David-
Many thanks for your suggestions on the heat pad. I'll contact the 3 vendors in the AM.
Bob