News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Member!

Started by Jason Martinez, March 24, 2016, 10:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Martinez

Hello Everybody!

I have been lurking in the shadows for a while on the forum but now that I'm actively looking for a Cadillac to call my own I figured I'd say hello. Hello!

I really enjoy the community you guys have with this forum.

A little bit about myself, I was a professional chef for 15 years and now work for a large utility company out here in So Cal.

I have been looking to buy a Cadillac as far back as I can remember and now I am ready to jump in head first.

Thank you for having me in the group and can't wait to pick the collective brains in the group to help me along the way of Cadillac ownership!

Regards,

Jason.

tturley

Welcome
What kind of Cadillac are you looking for ?
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Jason;

Welcome to the Message Forum!  Don't let the formalities of posting keep you from enjoying the forum.

Jason Martinez

Quote from: tturley on March 24, 2016, 11:28:39 PM
Welcome
What kind of Cadillac are you looking for ?

Hi Turley, Im interested in the 54-56 Series 62 Sedans. There are a few 1948 and 1950 62's that caught my eye as well though. Im actually pretty open. I wasn't too fond of the 57 but its starting to turn me around the more i keep looking at it. :-)

Jason Martinez

Quote from: Bill Hedge CLC 14424 on March 24, 2016, 11:40:18 PM
Jason;

Welcome to the Message Forum!  Don't let the formalities of posting keep you from enjoying the forum.

Thanks Bill, Will do!

J

Bobby B

Quote from: Jason Martinez on March 24, 2016, 10:22:06 PM
can't wait to pick the collective brains in the group …
                                                     Jason

Jason,
  Hi, and Welcome!  There are 1000's of intelligent brains to pick here if you choose, most up for the challenge!
Keep us posted when you find something that piques your interest……'48 is still a Flathead, so be careful what you wish for….. ;D
                                                                                                    Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jason Martinez

Quote from: Bobby B on March 24, 2016, 11:49:41 PM
Jason,
  Hi, and Welcome!  There are 1000's of intelligent brains to pick here if you choose, most up for the challenge!
Keep us posted when you find something that piques your interest……'48 is still a Flathead, so be careful what you wish for….. ;D
                                                                                                    Bobby

See! Im already learning something! haha. Flathead= trouble? :-) Thanks for the kind words Bobby! I'll definitely keep everyone busy with my naivety! haha

chrisntam

From what I understand the '49 offered the new overhead valve engine, a much better engine than the flathead, from what I understand.  Others are more in tune with this than I though, I have a '70.

Welcome!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Smedly

Jason, I would not say the flathead is trouble, it is just a whole different world under the hood. It is one I am proud to be a part of, but it has been a learning curve that I never really thought about until after my 46 was at home in my garage for the first time.
Welcome
Smedly
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Cadillac Jack 82

I don't know if this is in your price range but this is an AMAZING car!  I've seen it at a few shows here in the DC area.  Its 100% correct and it has the original (working) A/C unit!

http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/55cadillacforsale.htm

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Scot Minesinger

You really cannot go wrong IMO buying a 1949 thru 1979 Cadillac.  The older the Cadillacs are, the more expensive generally.  The 1959-1962 seem to defy that rule a little.  The 50's Cadillac have bodies that really seemed to require a lot of factory craftsmanship.  the Cadillacs of the 1970's are the most affordable and easiest to work on (especially because many mechanical parts remain available at local auto parts stores)
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jay Friedman

I'm prejudiced toward '49s as I own one.  They are easy to work on with overhead valves but there are not all the accessories on top of the motor (power steering pump, etc.) as there are beginning in '52 which must be removed to do most work on the motor.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

gary griffin

Jason, Glad to see another new perspective member.  What you will end up with will depend on a few things. First how deep are your pockets? What do you favor the most? Are you wanting one car to drive and enjoy or more than one?   I personally have  a wide variety of years and models that I like.
I like driving and touring in my older cars and also like the attention they receive. I would not have a "Trailer Queen" which is what we call a car trailer-ed from show to show, but I enjoy looking at them. Next factor what part of restoring and maintaining a classic car are you able to do your self or do you have the resources to have everything done by professionals?  We hope to see you posing information and pictures of your acquisitions in the forum. Do not be bashful about asking for advice and information..  Good Luck
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

D.Yaros

Welcome!  From my perspective, hard to beat the 1955 model year!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

tturley

Jason,
Don't let the flathead thing scare you. They are a very simple engine to work on and if in good shape very dependable.

Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

harry s

Quote from: 57shark82 on March 25, 2016, 10:37:15 AM
I don't know if this is in your price range but this is an AMAZING car!  I've seen it at a few shows here in the DC area.  Its 100% correct and it has the original (working) A/C unit!

First off, welcome to the community.  I have to agree with the above. It's a really sharp car representative of the 50s.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

savemy67

Hello Jason,

Welcome to the forum.  There may be a few things that you want to consider when thinking about what year Cadillac you would like to purchase.  How deep are your pockets, and how much work can you do yourself?  I would say that, generally, the older the car, the more expensive it might be to repair/restore due to the increasing scarcity (with increasing age) of parts, and people who know how to fix the old cars.  There are some lines that you can draw as far as model years are concerned, that may affect your  thinking regarding a purchase. 

I think you can draw a line between 1948 and 1949 Cadillacs because '48 and prior years use a flathead engine.  '49 and later use a more modern overhead valve engine.  Another line could be drawn between 1952 and 1953 Cadillacs.  '52 and earlier years used a 6 volt electrical system.  '53 and later years use the current 12 volt system.  Another set of lines could be drawn bracketing certain years.  In 1953, some Cadillacs were equipped with a Buick Dynaflow automatic transmission due to a fire at GM's Hydramatic transmission plant.  1957 Cadillacs are equipped with a one-year-only power braking system.  Some early fifties Cadillacs used a hydraulic system for the power windows and seats, and later years used electric motors.

None of the foregoing is meant to disparage any year.  Any old Cadillac is a great car.  I encourage you to do your homework and honestly assess your skills and bank account.  Thoroughly research the years in which you are interested, and then go look at some cars.  Be patient, and consider buying a car in the best condition you can afford, as this may entail less work and expense in the long run.  Good luck.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

59-in-pieces

Jason,
Gary, echoed by Christopher, each hit the issues on the head.
Once you start looking around, you might want to bring your maybe's to the attention of this group; and, we can focus on the good and bad news associated with each of your selections - as well as perhaps help you on pricing.
Welcome to our little group, and based upon your age, you just dropped the average age of the active posters here on the forum, tons.
Have fun,
Steve B.

ps - sent you a PM - fellow So. Cal., San Fernando guy.
S. Butcher

Jason Martinez

Awesome tips and information guys! Thank you all for sharing! I will definitely share some prospective finds with everyone to get a more seasoned eye on what I'm looking at. I really do appreciate all the feedback.

Jason

Jason Martinez

Quote from: 57shark82 on March 25, 2016, 10:37:15 AM

Oh man! If I held off for another year it would be. Thats the dilemma I'm facing though. I want now! haha But if i waited another year i could seriously bump my buying power. That is a beautiful car. I wish the interior shots were shown though.

jason