News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

old car show "format" has never changed!

Started by Maynard Krebs, August 22, 2016, 12:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardonly

Here in Rhode Island, there have been many shows this past summer, most of which I will not attend.  I did attend several, but mostly evening cruises.

Too many "New" cars at the shows.

Same people and cars winning week after week, even when better cars are being displayed.  It's who you know here!

Last year I took home 19 out of 23 shows, BUT this year was different.  I cannot compete in a show by a group, attended by the them and judged by them.

Or a show judged by how many people you know there.......

I have a decent car, unrestored with 36,000 original miles, but cannot compete with a 2016 Corvette.

Their lose, as my car will not be seen by many who would appreciate it.

The shelf from prior years and the 2 wins this year.
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Maynard Krebs

As the original poster, I am pleased that my commentary elicited lots of good responses.   I realize now that I have become a bit of an old curmudgeon.. and need to "lighten up".

I agree with the many here who said that new and almost-new vehicles severely detract from the goal.   Part of the problem, as I see it, is sponsors which are NOT 'car-people' having conflicting motivations from old car folks.

The years and decades have gone by, and the 'hobby' has grown---in some limited ways.   But it's also true that many have left the hobby.. because it has become too expensive.

I also sympathize with those who do not want to commit to a whole day to attend a show.   Yet, the trend that I've noticed is shows starting earlier and earlier.   For those who still attend a house of worship on a Sunday a.m., this causes them to miss most of the events.. that are now ending by 2:00 p.m.; yet understandably so.. if it starts before 9:00 a.m.---which is not unusual these days.

Finally, I really think that show promoters / organizers should consider doing without "musak" at their next show, just so that people can notice the difference!   I don't like being taken advantage of, just because I am a "captive audience".   And, I still strongly believe that the rule should be "NO DOGS".. and should be enforced!   Do you people like "stepping in something"??   I realize that I'm likely to be in the minority about canines; but neither am I obligated to apologize for not liking dogs.   Leave 'em home... or stay home!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Well, I have a different perspective. They cost too much.
I don't have all day, and quite frankly don't want to spend all day at a show. I like to go for a couple of hours and go home. I don't want my car judged, but it deserves to be parked with the other classics. Spending $20 for just a parking place for an hour or so is more expensive than going to a ballgame. I often go and park outside the show area because I am cheap and will not be staying long. There is an Octoberfest show tomorrow and I am droping my son off for other events. I was going to bring the car, but it's $20 to park the car at the show. I guess I will just take the Honda.
Now I did pay $20 last week do 2 hours at the Shriners show but that is because it went to a good cause.
After all, aren't people coming to look at our cars? Aren't we the entertainment?
I am not saying it should be free, but there should be a lesser fee if I am not going to spend all say.

Most of the cars are 60'S to 70's. That Is what the Music should be.

That's all
Signed "Cheap Uncle Jeff"
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Greg C

Jeff I agree with you 100%,$10 or $20 to enter a show and spectators are free. that's BS