News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 Sedan is Alive!

Started by Skwerly62, August 24, 2016, 09:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skwerly62

Everything seems to be flying in 750 RPM formation! Now just to get the choke/fast idle etc set correctly. It dies after warming up so I assume it's the choke. She fired up with a splash of gas on the very first crank! :)
Baby's got some new shoes as well. Coker Classics in 235/75/15 3.75" whites.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Seville1957

James Landi

Gunk in carburetor-- ancient residue of old, evaporated gas -- likely clogging low speed air mixture and associated jets.  Throwing gas down the intake is asking for a fire...   fix the problem--thorough cleaning and rebuilding the carb-- please-- before you create another more serious, dangerous one.   

Skwerly62

Thanks James,
I took apart the carb and cleaned it thoroughly and reassemble as it was rebuilt prior to my purchase. It starts just fine from the fuel pump but dies out within a minute or two. I'll clean it out and put in a fresh kit which I newly purchased.
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

James Landi

you may well need compressed air to clean out the low speed jets... fuel separation leaves crud build up in low speed passages that won't be removed with sprays, etc. 

Skwerly62

Rebuilt the carb and set to factory specs. Starts up and runs great, took it down the block today. May need to tone down the idle a few, but drives like my couch!
USCG Vet - Fly CG!