News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Harmonic Balancer center bolt

Started by joem414, April 18, 2017, 10:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joem414

Several months ago I purchased a 1965 Cadillac Deville cpe with a 429 V-8 .This car sat in a garage from 1984 till I purchased it in Feb.I realized the engine may be seized so I looked for the bolt that goes into the Harmonic Balancer so that I can hand turn it. I found out that Cadillac did not put the bolt there so the chase was on.  I also found out that it was a 9/16Th fine thread ,I searched hardware stores and salvage yards for almost three months.  Yesterday I decided to give "You Tube" a try so I searched for harmonic balance for a 429  and bingo here is a video of a man taking the balancer off the engine then he states that the bolt that I am looking for is the same as the bolts holding the Bumper to the Frame.  I removed one of the bolts and bingo it fitted after I cleaned the threads.  Yes as expected the engine is seized . any assistant on how to unsieze it will be helpful I have hear of many ways from brake fluid to Marvel Mystery oil.

Thank You

H Joe Montagno
Aston,Pa

gene harl

fill the cyl's along with  the carb with diesel fuel, let it sit for a day or two , then clean up the mess, this  has  worked for me several times....
Gene Harl      CLC 22406

Scot Minesinger

You can also easily buy 9/16 fine thread bolts and threaded rod from Fastenal.  Undoubtedly you will replace the timing chain at the very least and these will come in handy then to remove harmonic balancer.  Here is a pic of a 1970 where 9/16" threaded rod is used to make a great puller.  Better than the KM tool, because do not need to hold crank with compressed air in cylinders.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty