News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Making Adjusting Screws For '37 LaSalle Headlight

Started by carlhungness, April 17, 2020, 05:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

Two of the headlight adjusting screws, the ones that push on the spring plunger to aim the
headlight up and down were missing. I called John Gately and he said he had a pair of totally unusable buckets that had the screws in them. He wanted $50.00 for the buckets and $40.00 for
shipping.
      I was able to take a couple of proper headed 1/4" x 20 screws and drill them for a 5/32 rod. Since the rod and screw go through the aluminum bracket that holds the headlight itself I was able
to push the rod through first until it touched the spring plunger and then estimate I wanted the rod to go into the screw about half an inch.
     Drilling the soft bolt was easier than I thought as it turned pretty true on the lathe, so I ran a
center drill in and then used a number drill to bore the hole. The fit was perfect so I opted to glue the rods in rather than trying to silver solder them. After all, they're in constant compression so I
didn't have to worry about much strength to hold them.
    Here's a few photos, showing the drilled screws and the finished items

DaveZ

Good job! So I take it you don't need them anymore:-)
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

carlhungness

Each time I send an e mail to you it says Not Deliverable..so you're right, I don't need the screws any more..have all I need. Thanks so much.
Carl