News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Car show hints, and tips to win?

Started by 52Cadillac, May 28, 2013, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

After almost 4 years of looking, I finally got my air cleaner duct tube too.
NOS in the box.
These are very hard to find.
Roy

Louis Smith

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on June 03, 2013, 08:59:38 PM
A = I think you would be about 3rd in line, and second , I don't know if you would pay the price.
I paid a good price for my car.......ha
Roy

Cedar sounds like a brown shade of color.
Those pictures above look like that, but the car is more a berry color.
Mulberry.

Yes the cedar was a very nice shade of brown.............

52Cadillac

First place Louis. That's nothing to sneeze at. Especially from the CLC.

Roy,
That is a very nice looking Cadillac. You should have more then three.

Our next show we plan to attend is on the 15th. It's our small town get together, but folks come from surrounding areas. It's between 4-6pm. Of course the local Biz benefits. I better get Cadillac widow to work shining the chrome.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

The Tassie Devil(le)

I know you have to have a clean car to get the best results at the judging, but cleaning behind the dash, out of sight of even the great contortionist is a bit extreme.

The attached picture I took at the 2002 GN, is going a bit over the top, or should I say, up and under.

Apologies to the contortionist, as I can't identify him, and I am pretty sure the Cotton Buds worked wonders.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

R Schroeder

Mike, there are maybe 3 or 4 big , mixed shows , that I go to.
Most are just a get together like this one at our local Hardees , or Culvers.
Seem lately it is raining on the days I want to attend...ha
Roy

Now, Louis has a trophy to be proud of.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on June 04, 2013, 08:31:32 AM
Mike, there are maybe 3 or 4 big , mixed shows , that I go to.
Most are just a get together like this one at our local Hardees , or Culvers.
Seem lately it is raining on the days I want to attend...ha
Roy

Now, Louis has a trophy to be proud of.

I guess its just a matter of me showing my age, but sometimes its hard for me to realize that I am at a "antique" car show, when I see all the cars from the late 60's and 70's.  I realize these cars are 40+ years old, but I can still remember going out and looking and pricing these models!  Sometimes I feel, when seeing a bunch of them together, I feel like I am in a used car lot.  It is so strange for me, to see cars that I remember being in their original showroom, in a classic car show.

T.S.Kennedy

Super late to the discussion, but I'm with what Roy said - the best car shows I go to anymore are the local hangouts at our retro diners and Sunday morning donut shop. People around us love seeing the rides, and we have way more fun just talking to each other about projects. 

Here are some car show guides for new folks if they happen to come across this thread:

http://vamoswheels.com/blog/get-prepared-for-your-next-car-show/ 
http://jalopnik.com/ten-assholes-you-meet-at-every-car-show-1671216128
http://www.carshowtv.com/2015/03/03/the-10-commandments-of-car-show-etiquette/

oldcarguy

Glad this post came up again. I have taken my '41 '62' to two local shows since I got it back from Mr. Steve Cooley, [He did the mechanics and some interior work] and won first in class in both shows! I showed in production class 1900-1954. Both shows had about 170-185 each total vehicles registered, so I was pleased.
Tips: Clean car, engine compartment, trunk, wheel wells and of course those wheels and tires [white walls white!]
In these local shows you don't get gigged if your hose clamps, etc are not correct, or your wide whites are not exactly the correct width! Things just need to be clean and functional....The team of judges generally use a 100 point sheet. Granted, the judges are not professionals, but all are car people and know good paint and body work when they see it, as well as gaps etc...
Go to the show to enjoy the cars and camaraderie, if you garner an award, so much the better!
Keep them rolling!!
Don

Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

gary griffin

Louis,  I know how you feel. In 1956 at 16 years old I received my drivers license and a couple of us went to the Seattle car show which was basically an all brand show of the 1957 cars.  I fell in love with the 1957 Fleetwood, but of course it was out of my income bracket. I have attended numerous car shows since but none had the mystique and tantalized me like the first time, as with many things of life. I have had numerous cars through the years and a few Cadillacs but the crusty 1957 Fleetwood I am fixing up is closest to my heart and also the least valuable. It will probably be the most driven of them also.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bill Balkie 24172

Quote from: StevenTuck on January 16, 2016, 09:05:46 AM
At a car show I usually have my top down with my Window Sticker, Factory Operation Instruction tags on the interior and similar tags under the hood. I have my hood up and trunk open. All like one might see in a dealership of the day. I also have my Car Show Sign displayed. I make the Car Show Signs and Window Stickers. Let me know if I can help with either.
Hello Steven ,
                Beautiful display , Looks like your car is loved very much . If the shows came to your garage you would win best of show every time . Clean and simple . I can not tell you how much i enjoyed looking at you pictures .
     Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    This is a very interesting Topic . In the past i have showed a 1957 Seville and now a 1957 Biarritz . Both cars are not 100 point show cars but they were always clean and very dependable . To the untrained  eye they look like perfect cars . However to the  color of the cadmium  plated bolts and the correct color  shade of the engine compartment might not be correct . The whitewalls might not be the right size . Etc Etc .  These things are not very important to me . What is important is a good safe dependable car that i like . Over the years i have made some incredible friendships  with people that are into very authentic cars  winning  concourse shows , and some other people that  have what we call drivers . We all love our cars and have a lot of fun . Knowing what you want out of a car in very important . This is what does bother me at shows . We all have a lot of money and an enormous amount of time in our  40 , 50 years old cars . Just keeping them road worthy .  Then some guys pulls up in a car they are still making payments on and win a trophy .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

z3skybolt

It's all kind of the same.  As a retired Airline pilot and personal plane owner/builder ......I have spent 50 years participating in and hanging around aircraft events.

You have two kinds of participants.  Rich guys who spend hundreds of thousands  of $$ buying or paying a pro to restore a classic. They exhibit it and win trophies. Then you have the regular guy who builds/restores his own airplane. Lots less money, tons more talent and skill. On a rare exception, the skilled "regular guy/gal"  wins the award.

I am somewhat in the middle.  Not rich, not poor.....little talent...."lazy".  With our  LaSalle: a regular guy did the restoration 20 years ago. She shows very nice.  $10s of thousands of dollars later professional mechanics have made her mechanically healthy.  I take it to small local shows and get lots of positive comments and a $15.00 trophy.  She would never win at the big shows.

I learned early in life that....."an entry level toy brings one 90% the pleasure of  "the best one can buy".  So I love our LaSalle. Spend 99.9 % of the time just driving and enjoying her.

Nothing is as rewarding as when a 14 year old kid says..."Wow!  That is really a cool car"!

bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

49 Convertible

Having been a Concours judge since the mid 70's I would like to make a few comments to the above. It makes a ton of difference between the corner car show and the ones put on professionally where they charge to get into the show.  I agree with Art...sex appeal has a lot to do with winner vs runner up. (this should not be the case but it is).  What matters in judging..good fit and alignment of hood, doors, trunk lid should not be the issue if within reasonable tolerance.  in pre robot assembled cars.. but is  and should not be in my opinion. paint and finish is important.  Quality of finish of chrome and and any other NON painted items..  Glass quality, wiring (correct connector ends not plastic or originally rubber or some other material) Interior quality of workmanship, fabric/leather/vinyl, carpet binding etc. Undercarriage, leaks, cleanliness. color, plating if any,  Engine bay cleanliness, color and finish, correct lines and hoses, firewall neatness, wiring, leaks exhaust/gas/oil/water.  Start and idle, operation of radio, clock, washers, all lights headlights, trunk, interior, brake b/u lights, license, plate brakes lights, directional lights.  SEX APPEAL, again.  Tops, convertible, material, color, correctness of window and seams, boot and top trim (chrome/no chrome).  Tires as to size and radials (mostly allowed now) is the spare the same as the other 4 wheels.  Tool kits not always checked and count very little but can be a tie breaker.These are but a few of the  items checked but get a copy of the CLC Judging manual and also buy an authenticity manual for your model year from the CLC .

Herman
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

arch62

ST, as an Architect and a proud owner of a '62 also I admire your creativity and talent. It is apparent that your talents are utilized in your hobby and storage abilities.

dochawk

Our chapter puts on a "Cadillac Through the Years" event each spring.

A couple of us are rounded up for judging, with prizes by decade, and there is a "celebrity choice" and sometimes "sponsor choice" as well.  I'm not sure whether we've ever done a "people's choice".

You can only win in a single decade, and you can't win for a decade you won last year.

We have a mutually beneficial partnership with one of the local dealers.  They'll sponsor nearly anything we do, picking up much of the cost, and show up with some current models.  We attract crowds that end up buying new Cadillacs.  Even without that, I think what they make selling cars to our members willing to own a gm-thing with half a cadillac logo and missing a couple of cylinders probably is more than break-even for them :)

As for my own car, I could probably buy a 100 point version for what it would cost to be even vaguely in the running.  I'd rather play with it, *drive* it, and enjoy it than worry about authenticity and points.  I'll keep it as original as practical as I restore, but I'm not going to lose sleep over anything.   Ii'll even need to learn wordworking, unless some parts  can be 3D printed. 

As I rant . . . I think that there should be a category with a driven 3,000 miles a year entry requirement . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: dochawk on November 04, 2017, 06:53:35 PM
As I rant . . . I think that there should be a category with a driven 3,000 miles a year entry requirement . . .
I don't enter car shows simply for that reason.   The 'Non-driven" ones have an advantage over the driven ones.   There should be a class for ones with a minimum of stone chips in the paint.   And especially ones with those bugs that are IMPOSSIBLE to remove.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

nysdarkblue

I just recently won Senior Crown for my 1990 Cadillac Brown this year in McLean, Virginia. The color of my car is blue  ( black sapphire firemist ). Two friends of mine have the same car as I, one is white, the other is maroon. At local shows on Long Island, NY when they are there with me, they take first. Why, I don't know. If they ever made it to a Grand National, they also would be Senior Crown cars. Both cars are beautiful. I have come to the conclusion that it comes down to the eye of the beholder when the cars judged at the Long Island shows. It is what people like, triple white, I guess is more popular than triple blue. Nothing is compared there to CLC judging.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX