News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 series 62 convertible project

Started by Bronze, October 09, 2018, 07:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

Your project car shows so much promise... do you have any pictures of it stuck in the mud?  It appears to have been abandoned "relatively" recently as the body appears to be in reasonable condition.  Do you have any history to share with us prior to your purchase?  Happy day, James

Lexi

To assist in your rebuild project I strongly recommend that you purchase the CLC Authenticity Manual, for 1954 - 1956 Cadillacs. It is available from the Club on their home page. Click on the link below. Clay/Lexi

https://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/store/ViewProduct.aspx?ID=7782525

J. Gomez

Quote from: Bronze on October 17, 2018, 04:17:37 AM
Hi again,
Here is the build sheet, not sure it adds much more to the body tag info.
Things i don't fully understand is "posture seat", "Basic G B",  "Equipment Group" and "opt GR ratio.
And i se no mention of special order, regarding the color combo..

Martin,

Well it is official both match your id tag and built sheet shows it is a two tone convertible, lower 12 and roof (in your case just the upper section of the windshield) 50.

The posture seat aka two-way seat electric adjustment for convertibles.

Your id ACC shows came with EHY, E=E-Z Eye Glass, H=Heather and Y=Tilt seat adjuster (which matches the built sheet).

The “Equipment group” shows what other factory install accessories that could be added/install equipment group “3”;
U Autronic Eye
F Fog Lamps
D Dor-Guards
The “2” represent the type of license plates frames size.

If any of these are added by the factory they would also be shown under the plate ACC and the built sheet options.

The optional gear ratio list to show that it came with the 3.36-1 as an optional for your model.

If you download the ’56 file from the GM Heritage site it should have the brake down under the “The new card specs manual” section.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bronze

Hi all and thanks for all replies and comments.
I have no "barn find pics" got it from eBay from "cadcliff" who seems to hunt down cadillac projects more or less for a living. So all i ever sav was his ebay pictures and they are similar to what you see now.
Body is very solid I took down the gas tank yesterday as the transportation company had punched 2 holes in it to make sure it was empty (Idiots, as it has a plug...) and the tank is still shiny metal all around when the rust protection is removed.
Authenticity Manual is definitely on the shopping list, but please understand that in the near future the goal is
A; functionality (weld tank, change one head gasket, brakes service, rebuild carb, all electrical stuff etc basically make it a roadworthy driver.
B; source a lot of missing items, it has no heating system, back seat, interior and some other bits and pieces.
C, make it look good, Paint, upholstery etc.
So Authenticity details comes pretty far down on the list right now :)

Jose, Thanks so much for the explanations, i have downloaded the file but have not found the time to go through it all yet (I have 2 small kids that seems to take some precedence over hobby cars :) )
The fog lights option makes me especially happy as they are not on the car today, but i think they look much better and now i have a good reason to chase down a pair!

Bronze

Hmm, i think i misunderstood the "Group 3" comment,
Are you saying that the 3 says that U F D could have been installed but as they are not on the plate or the sheet, they would not have been there?

J. Gomez

Martin,

It is my understanding;   ???

“Equipment Group” column if it shows a number the items under that group can be available to be added at the dealer (I believe). If it was order with them from the manufacture there would no number at that box and the option would be listed under each option column(s).

“Basic Group” column would be the items that would show in the id tag under ACC which came from the manufacture plus the ones listed under each column as optional.

So if you had those it may show similar to the attach file.

Now I could be wrong in my interpretation of these codes, maybe someone can chime in with the corrections.  ;)

Hell “the boss” she tells me I’m wrong 99.99% of the time..!   ;D
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bronze

José, I have not yet read a post where you were wrong,, so that is why i feel a bit silly for debating this topic with you ..
But ok, Basic group A:  And plate says EHY:
E-Z glass, correlates; Heater, Correlates ;
Whitewalls in the A group but not on the plate. Reasonable as they are not permanent.
Radio in A group but not on plate, Was it so common that it would not be on the plate?

Moving to Equipment group 3 of which none were added at factory in your understanding:
No fog lamps, no dor-guards (would be lost anyway), But i have holes for the Autronic eye Control box in the inner fender!
And in your logic that autronic eye was then added at dealer right?

This makes sense if my guess about the radio is correct.
What is your verdict? :)

J. Gomez

Martin,

Not all of the included accessories/options were stamped at the ID tag e.g. white wall tires, antifreeze, radio, etc., which is why the built sheet is essential to get all the details that came with the car from the manufacture and to validate if others were included and/or added as optional.

In my case my 62-sedan has E-H-K2-V-S-X stamped which includes the basic group “C” and the optional. The built sheet shows the basic group “C” includes K2-W-H-R-E and the optional S-V-X-U-F-D.

So you can see some are stamped on the ID tag while others are not.

If the option for Autronic-Eye was available but not install at the factory it would be logical the inner fender would have the holes ready if the option was added later at the dealer.  ???  However not sure anyone can go 62 years back to validate this logic.   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

David King (kz78hy)

It is interesting the red is an accent color for the car.  White top, red band around the belt line and white below on the rest of the body.  That will be a very striking car when done if you choose to restore it that way.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bronze

That is definitely the way i am heading eventually. May be, that it will get a quick pink spray job next year just so i can drive around one summer playing:

"I love you for your pink Cadillac
Crushed velvet seats
Riding in the back, oozing down the street
Waving to the girls, peeling out of sight
Spending all my money on a Saturday night
Honey, I just wonder what you do
There in the back of your pink Cadillac
Pink Cadillac"
8)

cadman56

Hello,
I have restored two 56 Coupe deVillies and a 56 Series 62 convertible.  All three, from the factory, had the Alpine White paint above the thine chrome strip along the  top of the doors and along the top of the fender below the quarter side windows.
I don't envy you this project. My 56 convertible was a frame off restoration.   You will find the 56 is a very enjoyable car to drive once you get her finished.  All of mine ran best between 70 & 80 mph and saw thousands of miles of use.
I currently own a 56 Eldorado Seville.  Alas, I am trying to teach my wife to drive her as I can no longer see past the hood. 
Good luck.
Larry  lblanchard6@cox.net
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Martin,

You are close to the answer. You just need to talk the right person The Mid Century webmaster, Lou Commisso, wrote extensively about this “two-tone” confusion. I suggest you join that board and address a post to him. He’s very knowledgeable and helpful. As best I remember, the second number, 50 â€" Mandan Red, refers to the painted surfaces in the interior. Your data plate and build sheet indicate the car was born paint code 12-Canyon Gray, top 1-Ivory, with trim code 28- red & white leather interior. Only the pleated portions of the seat and recessed areas of the seat back are red. The sides, upper and the lower skirts on the seats are white. The upper part of the doors and rear quarter are white. The armrest and below to the carpet is red. The dash top is dark red/maroon.  I believe the metal portion of the dash is code 50, Mandan red………which Lou can confirm or correct.

HTH
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bronze

Larry and Ralph, thanks for the tips and encouragement :)
In regards to asking Lou, see this link :midcenturycadillacs.com/index.php?topic=4123.0
Is that the post you refer to Larry or is there more to be read from Lou? He wrote to me "two-tone convertible, that's a first"...

BR
/Martin

cadman56

I don't think I was refering to any links or posts, just saying all three of my 56s had the Alpine White paint as described.  I might add all three cars were original paint.
Can't wait to see your car finished.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Bill Young

When I lived in Georgia for 3 years I met a member there that had a 1956 Series 62 Convertible that he had known since the day the original owner bought it and he bought it from his widow in 1973. The car was factory original and was yellow with white on the top of the doors.