News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Body # 1 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham

Started by GKC, June 15, 2017, 02:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GKC

I am starting the restoration of Body #1 .
It was actually started about 30 years ago for the owner but after the drivetrain and framework was done the builder past away.
It has since been sitting and the rebuilt engine was never started.
I'm in need of quite a few parts even though  I have access to a complete second parts car for the resto and I am also in need of a lot of info.
The 2 top things I am after at this point is where is the best place to get these bumpers redone? I'm in FL. and would prefer not to ship them clear across the country.
Second it seems that the rubber air ride components are un avail. at this time from any resto manufacturer. Any help with these items and or any oem parts you all might have access to would be an extreme help.
I built my own 66 replica Batmobile and was on that forum for a long time but I need to brush up on how to post pics again.
Thanks to all of you in advance.
Hope these photos uploaded ok. Much easier here than on the other forum.

Bill Young

Where are you in Florida?
Sincerely , Bill Young 
Lake Wales Florida

Bill Young

The opinion of the best for chrome in Florida is Space Coast Plating. I Love that Bat Mobile also.

GKC

Hello Bill,
Actually your very close to me.
I and the car are in Lakeland.
Thanks so much for the compliment on the Bat and the info on the chrome situation!
I was really hopeing NOT to have to take them out of state to get that work done!
I will call them ASAP and try to get that started.  Thanks again Bill

Bill Young

Grant Please contact me mercguy1@aol.com I have more resources to share with you.
Sincerely , Bill Young

GKC

Will do Bill.
If you happen to use face book I update on the Cadillac almost weekly.
The bat is on there too.
Thanks again Bill.

V63

Is the build sheet available for this car?

Body #483 was reported as 'GM executive' owned, and it was invoiced at $8,500 (memory) and a $4 delivery charge to 'factory drive way'...both would support the claim.

Do you know what #1 was invoiced at? And was there a $4 delivery charge? I would think that such an early car would have been used as more promotional than end user.

#483 has ALL of its original air suspension components. I do mean EVERYTHING! This system is available for sale. Plus there are numerous EXTRA parts including air domes. Seeking to sell all as a package.

59-in-pieces

Grant,
Here is a guy who knows a bit about air rides and has parts and rebuilds.
Tough to get in touch - telephone nope
He prefers letters and the web.
Good luck.
Have fun,
Steve B.

MASTERMIND INC.
Michael P. Rizzuto / President
32155 Joshua Drive
Wildomar, California 92595 USA

(951)  674 - 0509
S. Butcher

Bill Young

Ok , listen up  , calling all 1957 and '58 Eldorado Brougham experts. I have visited 1957 Eldorado Brougham #1 and I have a question. On the Body Plate it states 7059X , Body 1 , TR 252 , PT. 122 . Obviously the car is Lake Placid Blue with Blue leather , however the manual states that the digit following the trim number calls out which of the two carpet selections were chosen. Note it says only 252. Second after ACC it states 18B , what is that about? Help. Engine number 5770000237.

GKC

Thanks for posting that question Bill. Interested to see what comes of it

V63

Could it be that only one carpet (mouton?) was expected to be offered when body #1 was built?

The data plate itself is different and notice it has an extra hole on the right. I've seen this before but not on broughams.

Notice your stamped 7059-X vs 7059x

ACC 18B is very interesting too. Since the brougham had no 'accessories',

CHROME: We have a set of fresh rechromed wheels available too

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: V63 on August 27, 2017, 11:39:19 AM
ACC 18B is very interesting too. Since the brougham had no 'accessories',

Or at least, none that were optional as far as we are aware.

Potential for all kinds of weird exceptions exist for almost any #1 - let alone the introductory year of a completely new top of the line Cadillac. 

Interested to know what the 18B turns out to be myself.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Young

I appreciate the feedback Gentlemen. Another strange thing regarding accessories. The dashboard cover in this car absolutely is original and there is NO evidence that this car ever had Autronic  Eye. I have never seen a Brougham without one?

V63

Autronic eye:

Right you are! Never seen that deleted! Probably no evidence of the amplifier in the trunk either?

It's interesting to speculate why? Certainly the first car would have made a auto show circuit? 

I do know that the brougham was to be fitted with Rochester FI...but that idea was scrapped near production. There are pictures of a prototype brougham fitted with FI and no front clip.

DOOR PANELS!

I notice another strange thing? The early 1957 Broughams had stamped aluminum (painted) interior door panels. The images show upholstered panels...#153 still had painted panels. The reason they started upholstering them was because the paint was embarrassingly peeling from the aluminum.

Depending on whom (GM exec?) the end user was...the door panels could have been factory upgraded when new upholstered solution was available. The original warrantee was just days..but the targeted clientele for these cars gave way to accommodating them.

All the parts usually have the body number written (grease pencil) on them. If the panels are removed it would be intetesting to see what is written

V63

From Data base:

Car #1

[March, 1957]:This car was shipped to Fisher Body Division on 11 March 1957; it remained with Fisher until 1967; it may have been one of the test cars.

[1978]: The car was reported to be in California in 1978 when it was owned by Richard Oldham of Empire Chevrolet in Novato. At that time Richard owned also Brougham #254. Does anyone know where car #1 is today?

[August, 2002]: This from "Jim", an enthusiastic regular visitor to the Database: on the Brougham topic, the friend with whom I went to Pebble Beach says he saw 57 Brougham #1 about 3-4 years ago in Arizona. Reportedly it was scruffy and unrestored at that time. The owner knows that it is car #1. My friend photographed the body plate and I am after him to find the photo so I can make it available to you.

Bill Young

Thank You V63. I know Grant who is reassembling the car from the disassembly that was down in the south west is monitoring this thread. Perhaps he can get us some answers as to what the car has to tell us? I can tell you just standing near this car gives you goose bumps if you are a life long Cadillac fan.

V63

If you go to the data base, #1 as imaged appears to be a BLACK car? With saber wheels.

Also if you look at the period magazine ads of the car, the black one has autronic eye. The blue one does not.

Bill Young

The blue car in the middle is like the car Body No. 1. I spoke to the Owner on the phone and he said he bought the car in 1968 from Cadillac and it was in a basement of Clark Street Final Assembly complex and drove it to the south west at that time. I am not authorized to disclose his name. He said the car drove beautifully.

V63

The black database image associated with #1 must be wrong?

V63

Here is an early brougham, notice Sabres...and at first glance...no Autronic eye.

The Autronic eye is in the middle of the dash!

No so clear here...but the original image is clear with the eye mid dash.