News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Just got a 1960 SdV 6 window. Hope to make it a daily driver

Started by nolacaddy1960, June 23, 2017, 12:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nolacaddy1960

Hello all.  I had long wanted a large 60's car to have as a Sunday car and a nice driver.  I say daily driver but my work truck and personal truck fill that role mostly.  I wanted something big, and honestly I always wanted a 1960's Continental convertible, but the 1959 Cadillac were always my favorite post war, pre-muscle car vehicles.  The 1960 being very similar.
   A couple of weeks ago I was randomly searching cheap cars on Hemmings and ran across a $900 caddy.  Being in Houston, and knowing Houston is cheap to fly to, I went and looked at it.  Owner had turned down a few $500 offers, and the car, was in rough shape.  Rust in back floor pans and dents in both fenders and quarters.  The original engine was there as was most of the trim.  Windshield had a hole in it and both front windows were broken out.  Looked like vandalism.  It sat mostly in a garage since 1982.  It was last driven in 1980.  I made an offer of $700, and we had a deal.
     The next weekend (last weekend) I drove to Houston, rented a trailer and went to get the car.  Getting it moving required getting it on used tires, and using cable and chain winches.   

Got it home and put it next to my garage and am ready to start the next steps.  The motor turns over, but the gas looks like jelly, and the oil looks bad.  So I am just going to pull and rebuild engine first.  It has factory air, but it's R-12.  Well I pop trunk and there are two cases of cans of 20w50 oil and six cans of r12.  awesome. 

I plan on going mostly stock.  The only changes I see would be putting better brakes on.  I don't like front drums, had them before, won't again.  I don't like the single reservoir master cylinder.  Also not huge on Generators.   I do like the alternators built into generator casing. 

I'm waiting on my manuals and master parts list to come in before I start pulling stuff off. 
I'm not trying to have a quick build, this will be a long term project. 

Glad to have found this forum, a lot of good info here.  I plan to catalog   my rebuild in this thread.

---J. Zach Frigo

Highwayman68

Welcome Zach!

As a new member the first rule you need to follow on forums is Pictures Pictures Pictures and Pictures, along with progress updates :)
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

nolacaddy1960

Pictures coming today, I promise.  On my laptop and pics are on phone.  I haven't loaded them online yet so I can post to forum.  Unless this forum self hosts pictures.  I'm new here. Haven't checked that out yet.

chstitans42

nolacaddy1960

I found a cheap DeVille in last month's Hemmings.  I emailed and expressed my interest in seeing it.  I planned to drive out there and see it, but the owner said the house was to be torn down soon and that walls of junk blocked the car from being moved.
   I said I'd fly out the next day if she had the junk moved.  I got there and saw it's condition, but knew that it was still a decent price. 

Unable to get a shipping price I liked, I drove back out the following weekend to get the car.
   This wasn't too easy, but we got out done. The slow drive back was the easiest part.

Got it home.  Now to find out what I have exactly.

Zach F.

nolacaddy1960

The good news is the oil looks good.
  Now.....The bad news in picture form.

More to come.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Oh dear.

But, I wouldn't be relying too much on the condition of the oil on the dipstick, as all the really black stuff will be laying in the bottom of the sump, and what you are seeing is the separated light stuff from the top.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

nolacaddy1960

The engine is getting broken apart no matter what. New everything.
    Though the rear quarter issues are bad. Those are very very expensive to replace.

The floor, looks really bad, but stamped floors aren't much.

Carl Fielding

I , ah , you , ummmm , do ? I'm (I am trying to figure out how to put this) , collecting my thoughts here. Always like to help , as everyone on here does. But , well I guess I have a few important questions. Part of where I am going here is : Marcos Pisanis has a fair amount of parts for a '60 for sale. So let me draw a deep breath and ................. O.K. Here I go. I would like to get a mental picture of you , JZ. I assume money is no object , right ? I also assume you are a highly experienced mechanic , and a world class body and paint man , right ? Probably have a shop which is not accepting much work these days , as you are winding down a very lucrative business in anticipation of retiring slowly over the next 5 years , to fully retire at 50. Right ? I mean you ARE going into this with a huge amount of money and experience , aren't you ? Eyes wide open ?

The reason I am asking all this , is that I am a huge fan of 4 door sedans. Not a lot of old car guys are. Second only to my admiration for doctors who I worship for having saved my life many times , over a period of 70 years since I was 2 , second only to doctors , I admire guys who save somewhat tatty , somewhat scarce , 4 door sedans. Extra gold stars for rust buckets. Cadillacs at the very top of the list. I crave 4 door cars. Now I'm down to 4 4 door Cads , (though one of those is not a sedan , it's a 1924 7 passenger touring - a side curtained convertible with jump seats - pretty nice shape , too) , plus two 4 door parts Cads. Sold my '96 F'wood Bro' six door "visitor" a couple years ago (the '90 1/2 Allante went at the same time) , and just now sold my 2002 STS.  Downsizing, you know. Sure , I do have, what ? I think I only have 3 2 door Cads left, but maybe the 2 convertibles could be called 3 doors. My brand X (kinda rhymes with deep knee bends , or maybe Mr. Cheesy Lens. Anyway the initials are M-B) , yeah I have more Cadillacs , but I do have 3 of those brand X which have 4 doors , that is if you count the station wagon which you might take for a 5 door. Couple two doors. Drop tops. One has half again as many cylinders as my Cadillacs do. Do the math. Even disregarding the parts cars , I'm still heavier in Cad' than 'Benz. A very good old friend of mine who knows my rep. as "Cadillac Carl" , muttered a trial balloon at a party a while ago. I heard it. "Bubba 'Benz" , almost whispered. Please don't call me "Bubba" , yet. "Math" Dave is a very close old friend , we joke around ad nauseum. "Cadillac Carl" was hung on me 45 years ago by another great friend when the just acquired '57 Eldo drop top took over from the '49 fastback as the daily driver.

Here : I ran on too much again. It is just that I think you will take over as my greatest CLC (arm twister that I am : are you a member yet ? You WILL need the directory to hasten success in your brave venture) , hero if you can pull this "Kitty" out of the 'box. I would love to hook you and Marcos up. I spoke at length (yep , I talk as I write) , with him re: parts and things just yesterday. But I do really need to get a sense of your abilities and , please excuse the inference , the assets you have ratholed for the coming years. Hmmmmm............ Rathole........Rathole.........Rathole..........  I've GOT it ! You're just making a driving Rat out of it ! Right ? Please let me know what level you plan on lifting this sleepin' beauty to. And I will help you as much as I can. You can bet your ears the rest of your kind brother and sister fellow members will take you under their wings. You certainly do seem like an extremely energetic, enthusiastic guy , and your tale and pics so far speak volumes. Do you have a nickname ? I have a feeling you will earn one here on forum ! Respectful bow , gotta run , I'll wrap this up with a more focused response once I know you better ! The warmest hearty welcome to you !   - CC

nolacaddy1960

The floor upset me, the front was solid.  i couldn't open back doors.  I can weld, do engine work and light body work.  I just got a large dent mostly out with heat and a little hammering.
  I am confident I can get the engine going and fix the floors, past that will all be a learning experience.

Right now I have little into it.  I see these cars going for $15-20 in decent shape.  I figure I'll spend a little over 20 turning it into a driver.   I'm going to take my time, break it into a ton of smaller projects and start there.  I already made a list of my 25 most needed items and sourced them.

nolacaddy1960

Just moved AC compressor and power steering pump out of the way, I didn't remove fully either yet, as I didn't want to deal with fluid and it was getting too late to run my AC vacuum. 

I started cleaning a little here and there.  While the car looks rough.  The major issues aren't that expensive.

Complete engine rebuild kit - $1,200
  All windows - $899
   Full stamped floor pan - $1100
  Carpet - $400
  Headliner - $300

I'm right now most worried about the rusted quarters.  Everything else, I feel I can get going.  Through this website I found someone to fix the steering wheel, I got leads on missing chrome.    I plan to start around the before mentioned parts.  Then I will work on fixing engine accessories and such.  Locating missing parts, and sourcing body and chrome repair. 

First I need to get the engine out and apart and then get it tented so I can abrasive blast it.  (soda, aluminum oxide and walnut shells depending on surface)

Carl Fielding

Quick tip : I don't see your transmission budget. Do it while the engine is out , or you will wish you had. Now I have more arithmetic to do. While I am at it , get that thing up , and attack any and every suspicious rust with an ice pick , small chisel with a light hammer , and assorted old screw drivers. You must do an extremely comprehensive rust assessment. The more you find , the more will be in various hidden places.  - Carl

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

59-in-pieces

Zack,
You are a man after my own heart - a worker - dreamer - and who can see past the dirt and the rust and all the "see through" pieces of the car.

Check out the picture below so you don't get turned off by the doom and goomers, and know there are others out here who really get their hands dirty.
I often refer to my cars when I first get them as Flintstone Mobiles - and check out my screen name, it says it all.

Although I am focused only on 59's and Eldo's at that, let me offer some advice, since your 60 is very much similar to a 59 in most respects.

Take many many pictures at different angles and get close and away to see where it goes along with what's around.
Take way more pictures - they're cheap digital - than you ever think you will ever need to get the idea of the part and how it fits mounted etc..

Bag and tag everything - don't use one word for the descriptions, but add more details where it came from, what it hooked to etc etc.
You'll need more details when you pick up the bag a year or two down the line, and wonder what was I thinking - what does this mean.

Photo every electrical connection - plug and if you can rub off the dirt to see the number of wires and the colors that go to the connector.
There are 10 + harnesses in the car depending on the accessories which are a snake pit to sort back out if you ever want to repair or replace all or pieces.

Have fun,
Steve B.

S. Butcher

nolacaddy1960

Quote from: Carl Fielding on June 24, 2017, 06:24:40 AM
Quick tip : I don't see your transmission budget. Do it while the engine is out , or you will wish you had. Now I have more arithmetic to do. While I am at it , get that thing up , and attack any and every suspicious rust with an ice pick , small chisel with a light hammer , and assorted old screw drivers. You must do an extremely comprehensive rust assessment. The more you find , the more will be in various hidden places.  - Carl

I left a lot out off that budget n lol.
  Chrome is probably nearly $10k on these cars.
  The trans.  I plan to diy. I've built a few. Just need the manual and whatever press attachment I don't have.

Today I was cleaning the seats.  I don't know why, I intend to replace the fabric.  Actually shocked it stared coming clean.

Also started removing the rust from one of the valve covers.
   While the mystery oil is soaking in the cylinders I wanted to look under the valves, but 23 years of grease and 35 years of rats nest made that harder.  Then it seems to never stop raining here.

I wasn't ready for this car yet.  I have some major work being done to my garage soon. Repairing termite damage.
  Then wss getting a man cave and dark room put in.
  Well the dark room has to go.  Plus that hobby puffs replaced now anyway.
   I needed extra feet to get the car in. So a last minute redesign was needed.

Car will sit outside until then.

Wife says I can't work on the engine until I finish the master bedroom.  So will probably be two weeks before I actually start working on it.
I'm still figuring out what is there and what I need.

Im a picture taker. I have 144 of the engine alone and every screw and nut I place in a fishing lure organizer.
   Actually have everything I took off so far in rust remover.

They made that fan really hard to get off & I couldn't find my ratcheting 1/2 wrench before the rain. Really need to look at water pump as I snapped all four housing bolts and it's rusty..

My theory is, it overheated really badly on it's last drive.

Lots of rust in there as well. 

Engine will get rebuilt anyway as long as block is solid. 
    Have to take it out, apart and bring it to shop to clean it first.

I also need to figure out how to take front seats out.
I ordered the 59 manual and the 60 supplement and found parts list online.

The rear rust bothers me, but the quarters aren't cheap..

That was under the trim.

By the trunk.

Then this bad crease.

Hey but only 6800 miles. Lol more like 106k

Jeepers Creepers

The 1960's are a great looking car, I wish you well with it and be prepared to just walk away sometimes and leave it be for a day or a week.

I saw this on Hemming's and I'm glad you are going to save it.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

nolacaddy1960

Only had a little time this morning. Decided to clean the glass jar water tank.

An easy task, but something to check off the list.

A little rust remover and cleaning and the jar is clean.  The bracket comes out soon to be cleaned.

Also have brackets and bolts soaking in rust remover.
   Coming along nicely.  They will air dry in a dehydrator I saved and then get a mineral oil wipe before storing.

Jeepers Creepers

a molasses mix will lift rust too and cheap. Can't remember it exactly, but molasses and water 50/50 rings a bell, but google it before using it. 
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, 50/50, and make sure the container is sealed air tight, so the critters cannot get in. (Bugs and the like)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chstitans42

The more pics the better! please post everything you take!