News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

47 series 62 generator screw up?

Started by Tbrigham47, July 02, 2017, 12:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbrigham47

I found a 47 in Florida. Deal was too good to pass on but I'll be straightforward and say I'm novice on restoring a car as this is my first one. I haven't had much experience with a generator either. I'm pretty sure I made a big mistake, just not knowing it would be an issue and I plugged in a phone charger into the cigarette lighter and drove around town for a bit. It's still 6v so I'm not sure what happened but now I'm no longer charging the battery when car is running. I've had the battery tested and it's solid. My question is Has anyone had this issue and am I right in thinking I overloaded the generator? Maybe the voltage regulator? Thanks for any help

Bobby B

Plugging a device that needs a 12V low-draw milliamp source instead of 6V, would only possibly damage the device you plugged in. In no way, shape, or form, could you have damaged your charging system. Go back through your car and find out what's wrong. I don't possibly see how that could affect anything....
                                                                                                                                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

That system is going to be as simple as it gets.
Start with the easy stuff. Go under the hood and check all the wiring connections at the generator and regulator. Just because the wire looks ok doesn't mean it is. More than likely if it is wiring it would be a connection. They get corroded but still look ok. Also check the generator belt to be sure it isn't loose.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Tbrigham47

bcroe

My failures (in ancient times) were always worn brushes.  If so replace
them yourself; some rebuild place may swap you a piece of junk. 
Bruce Roe

Bill Ingler #7799

Attached is a 1947 Wiring Diagram which might help you understand the wiring in your car. Sounds to me like your problem might be a bad ground or a bad connection.  Bill

fishnjim

I don't think you can overload the generator, per se, it'll gives as much energy as it can at the rpms it's turning.   Other things are controlling.
If you're positive that the incident occurred the exact time you plugged in the charger, then you must have shorted something.   Possibly burnt a contact in the VR or some wire, but the lighter should be fused but they were large size(10-20A) and some of the other wires in the circuit did not match the necessary gauge for amps.   {I'm not saying this is the cause, you said this happened.}
Any good auto electric shop can test, diagnose, and fix your electrical system.   You might even get lucky at the local auto parts store that does free battery/charge system testing.
Get with the program.   Better to go get you a nice cigar, a wide brim hat, wide tie, wide lapel suit, and CRUZE - leave the electronic devices or other modern conveniences at home.