News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What tools do you carry?

Started by Sconnors, July 16, 2017, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Friedman

When driving around town, I just carry a few basic tools in a small pouch: screwdrivers, a few wrenches and a pair of pliers. However, I always have with me a spare distributor, a distributor wrench and a cheap timing light in case of an ignition failure of one kind or another.  (Had rotor failures twice many years ago and just changed out the bad one for the one on the spare dist. each time.)

However, when going on a trip, usually to the GN, in addition to the above I take an extensive set of tools with me, including: a complete socket set; a set of wrenches; screwdrivers; wire, strippers, tape; spare parts, including a fuel pump, a voltage reg., fluids, sealed beam, bulbs; trouble light that plugs into lighter and a few other things I can't recall. 

An essential item is a CLC directory so that you can call a local club member who could steer you to help (or even bail you out him or herself).

Have only had one break down on a trip, a generator failure, and was lucky that an auto electric shop in the area fixed it within a few hours.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Walter Youshock

Also check your spare tire.  The original donut in my '91 was empty.  Not that I want to rely on a donut on any car, especially one that's 26 years old, but even to get the car on a flatbed, it's better than a fully blown regular tire.

I also take an air pump for things like this.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

bcroe

I carry a small tool box, same one i use to grab parts at the junk yard.  Its
so heavy its hard to lug around; complete 1/4 drive, 3/8" drive, metric sockets
and nut drivers, lots of screw drivers & bit sets, pliers, metal shear, allen
wrenches, vise grip. 

Also I carry a few spares.  Lights, fuses, belts, anything essential that might
be really hard to find like my ECU and HEI.  I generally don't expect to use
anything on one of my boomerang trips to the boarder (any boarder).  The
general maintenance is in a high state, and I don't expect any problems there. 

Bruce Roe

dochawk

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 17, 2017, 07:28:04 AM
However my car is not of the caliber  to where I have classic car insurance.

Really?  I can't get liability on an additional car on the same policy for what I pay for classic insurance. ($127 for $8k coverage and $300k liability, including the 15 mile version of Haggerty Plus towing.

Once I'm driving out of town with it, I'll pick up a longer distance ($150/year instead of $35 covers *all* family vehicles for 150 miles)

I had AAA years ago, and got burned.

We rarely drove, I called to cancel, and they said I could switch from two drivers to 1 at a lower price, and I could just send that in.

I did--and they cancelled for "non-payment" without telling me . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Phil Weber

If you have never used your spare wheel check it to see it actually fits your car .

I once bought a used car that had five identical looking alloy wheels .
My "trusted" used car salesman made a point of telling me he was giving me an alloy spare for free .
What he didn't tell me was the wheel didn't fit .
About six years later I needed the spare only to find it was a different stud pattern . Ford instead of GM .

Also If you have fitted discs to an early drum car check it fits on the front ok as well.

Phil

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Same here.
I took my car in for tires after I got it. The kid swapped the front and rear wheels and the car wouldn't move off the lift.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

bcroe

I remove and replace the wheels on the car myself.  The tire shop isn't
allowed to touch the car, never sees it.  Bruce Roe

dochawk

Quote from: Phil Weber on July 23, 2017, 10:51:53 PM
If you have never used your spare wheel check it to see it actually fits your car .

*now* you tell me :)

A couple of weeks ago, I dropped my daughter off for a meeting at a charity to get advice on her own (cool charity, too, a favorite of our chapter [http://www.toys4smileslasvegas.org]).  The director would drop her off.

On the way home, I hit something on the road and lost a tire (shredded to an inch of sidewall left by the time I pulled over).

No problem I pulled the jack and spare from the trunk, went to loosen the lug nuts, and . . .

the jack handle wrench was too small for the nuts on the custom wheels the prior owner put on it!

At least the road patrol got there before the tow truck from my insurance company.

hawk, whose daughter beat him home
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

cadillac ken

Jason Edge

My iPhone with AAA in my favorites is my main "on the road & broke down tool! LOL. That's kinda tongue in cheek but actually quite honest. I actually carry a basic tool set in the 64 CDV and extra set of belts, but not much else. In my 2002 Escalade EXT (128K miles) I have the side tool boxes and locking tonneau cover and keep a ton of different tools, chains, jacks, jack stands, lights, air, etc. for pulling in parts cars with my car hauler. 
This past week the Escalade started to want to hesitate when shifting into the next gear, and sometimes would hesitate and bog down when you hit the throttle. I figured it was time clean the MAF sensor, throttle body and install a new fuel filter and run some injector concentrate through it... which I did and hoped for the best.
Well, yesterday about 25 miles down I 40 outside of Raleigh, NC it start cutting back really bad, and really bogging down... to the point I was driving on I-40 35 mph with the emergency flashers. I made it to a rest area, and pretty much had convinced myself it was a fuel pump. BUT, I was done guessing and not at home, and called AAA and they had a full roll back there in 45 minutes, and back the other way to Thompson Cadillac in Raleigh, NC within another 45 minutes. Got the call earlier today, and they set "yep" it's the fuel pump, tank has to be dropped (which I knew) and told them to Make it So!
Not sure about the rest of you but, I will swap out an engine at home, but not prone to doing much work on the road side on any of my cars. I know from parting out 47 parts cars even the old cars break down to thousands of parts and you can not prepare for everything so I don't. The wife pays for AAA, and when something like what happened yesterday, happens, my iPhone and AAA become the best tool I have.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

bcroe

You have confirmed (again) my belief, that fuel injected cars are initially
a lot easier to figure out, when you have a fuel pressure gauge and a
Wide Band OX sensor.  Bruce Roe

gary griffin

A lot of great ideas, I was writing my list as I perused all of the answers.  The CLC directory was one of the best ideas, and here is why. Although not a CLC directory story it is close to being one.

A friend off mine was recently coming home to Washington state from a Triumph function in his beautifully restored TR-4 and overheated going across the Mojave desert. He pulled over to let it cool and a few minutes later a truck with a TR-4 on a trailer pulled over and parked in front of him. My friend had been planning on renting a truck and trailer to get the TR-4 home but the other TR-4 owner took his car off of the trailer and put Johns car on it. John and his new friend went west over 100 miles in the other TR-4 and their wives were in the truck.

The story gets much better. Instead of taking the car to a shop the other guy had all of the tools needed to plane the head prior to the new head gasket for a whole $35.  When the s--t hits the fan 1500 miles form home it could not have been a better experience.

If it ever happens to me I would like this to happen but even more I would hope to be the "New friend" John found.

A lot of being involved in car clubs is about the great people we meet. I know a lot of you reading this would also be the "New friend" and I really appreciate the experiences I have had although not as significant as John's experience.

Think about it a little!  Most of the numbers in the CLC directory would lead to "New friends" like the one John found.

Sorry for making a non Cadillac post here but it is really about the kind of persons we are surrounded by as much as the cars by isn't it??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: D.Smith on July 16, 2017, 11:45:19 AM
I keep a full tool kit in one of the vintage suitcases in my trunk.   Another case has jumper cables, another has some spare parts like a fuel pump, fuel filter, etc.  The other one has cleaning supplies and one has a wool hat, light jacket and gloves.

All neatly carried and people only see the old luggage.

Inspired by this set up, I managed to get a hold of an old suitcase that is a bit weather beaten and worn. I've got a few bits and pieces, tool bag, basic repair kit, couple of hats and a toilet roll (its not always the car that poops something and a public loo with no paper is no fun) and put that in the boot. (I still need to  buy some jumper cables too)

We've also added some travel stickers to the suitcase that covers the Fleetwood's trip to Australia.
Starting in Hanford Ca. (1st owner) to LA (2nd owner) then up to Vegas for the Dealership/brokerage we bought from, then to Portland Or., to be packed in a container, then onto  Kaohsiung Taiwan (Changed ships there) and into Brisbane Aust. and finally Tin Can Bay. We even made up a "name tag" for the suitcase with the original owners name and address on it.
I know its not authentic and I would never try to pass it off as such, but it does look fairly cool next to the period correct picnic basket and Cadillac Cooler I stickered up and the whole lot covers everything we need. We also have the original California black plates mounted on a bit of timber and on display in the boot as well.

Oh..... Boot = Trunk
In the glove box, I carry a mobile phone and an Aussie directory members list.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

James Landi

Dear Kevin--

Too much fun and so practical to boot  (another meaning of that word)... I hope you'll never have to open that suitcase up for ANY reason--- wishing you and Astrid smooth sailing!   James

Jeepers Creepers

Ta James.....  ;)

Couple of pics.

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia