News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 Eldo ready at last

Started by manxie, August 31, 2017, 03:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxie

Well, I`ve had this car about 6 months now and all the work`s done! I`ve had all the dash warning lights fixed, proper UK lighting, new battery bracket, two rear tires, new alternator, new wheel bearings all round, new CV boots and more. it has been tested and past our roadworthiness test ... which is very strict, paperwork is back and registered in my name. In the morning I`ll be purchasing road tax and going for a drive ... yeaaaaah!!!!! At last!!!!!!

I have put it up for sale because I was getting tired of it just sitting on my drive, looking pretty but now I can use it may change my mind!!???

Thank you to all who have advised on my posts, greatly appreciated  ;D ;D

Steve on the Isle of Man ... UK
78 Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Once you drive her, she will be a keeper, that is until you go to the petrol station for the second time, in one day.   But at least you will have circled the Isle a few times. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

manxie

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on August 31, 2017, 08:25:55 PM
Once you drive her, she will be a keeper, that is until you go to the petrol station for the second time, in one day.   But at least you will have circled the Isle a few times. ;)

Bruce. >:D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pictures ..... once I`m out and about in it, I`ll stop off and take a few pictures in different locations around the island. I think I`ve posted the pictures I have but here`s a couple for the time being .......

The reg number has now changed as it is now Manx registered :-)

76eldo

Enjoy the ride.  Don't go as fast as the motorcycles go during TT week!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

manxie

Quote from: 76eldo on September 01, 2017, 08:16:34 AM
Enjoy the ride.  Don't go as fast as the motorcycles go during TT week!

Brian

;D ;D I wish!! I`ll leave that to them I think  ;) Thanks

TJ Hopland

Just curious with what you have invested if you were to sell it how would you likely come out money wise?  Loss or possible gain?   

In the USA it would be break even at best because those are not especially rare cars and its not hard to get things registered in about 95% of the country.    Where you are those can't be very common and getting it to pass inspection sounds like that would have some value too.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

manxie

Hi. They`re not very common on this side of the water, in fact I`ve not seen another the same advertised over here?? I have around £9200 invested in it  ??? so that is close to $12000  :o Gulp  :o

SK903

2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

manxie

Well..... went for a drive in the Eldo today, there was an auto jumble on so I thought I`d go for a look. Just got there, rainy day, and a might "bang" came from under the hood, then some smoke  :o I lifted the hood and there was oil everywhere  :o :o The power steering high pressure pipe had blown apart!!! With it being a wet day, you can imagine the mess it made on the freshly laid road  :-\ Anyway, after a few phone calls to pals, we got her going enough to get me home (about 5 miles) and I didn`t get to see the auto jumble  :( New hose is now ordered and hopefully be here in a week or so? The joys of classic motoring eh?  ;)

TJ Hopland

Messy but at least a cheap easy fix.    Also you got to find out that a car that size almost can't be driven without power steering.   Doesn't help that in your case you lost the power brakes too.    Recently I had a fitting come loose and lost all the fluid on the 80.   Luckily I was in an area I knew and not far from a friends so I was able to make it there but boy was that a lot of work both hands on the wheel and both feet on the brake pedal.

When I first got my 73 I was doing some work on it and for some reason was unable to use the power steering belt.  I figured I would just drive it to the parts store and get the new belt.    I made it about 3 blocks and decided it was a bad idea so bad that I just parked on the side of the road and walked home to get my bicycle and took that to the parts store then installed the belt on the side of the road. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

manxie

I`m glad I was only doing about 5mph, I dread to think what could of happened if I`d been driving at speed  :o The steering wouldn`t move at all and the brakes were non existent! Surprising how quick everything stopped working. Ah well, the new hose is ordered and should be with me in about 10 days or so?? At least when it`s not working, the fuel economy goes up  ;D ;D

manxie

UPDATE
Just found this picture on FB, I was obviously spotted outside the Manx Motor Museum making a botch repair to get me home ... you can`t see me, I`m in the brown jacket crying near the hood hinge  :'( :'(  ;)

dochawk

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 03, 2017, 01:22:28 PM
When I first got my 73 I was doing some work on it and for some reason was unable to use the power steering belt.  I figured I would just drive it to the parts store and get the new belt.    I made it about 3 blocks and decided it was a bad idea so bad that I just parked on the side of the road and walked home to get my bicycle and took that to the parts store then installed the belt on the side of the road.

I had a '71 Plymouth Fury III wagon in law school; a sub-$500 college car.

the power steering leaked.  A lot.

Finally, adding each day, i decided to just accept that I'd get an upper body workout each day on the way to school.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)