News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fog/turnsignalm bulbs cadillac-54

Started by novis, September 09, 2017, 06:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

novis

Hi,

Is there some new sorts of bulbs or bulbhouse for this lamps so I can remove this old and very hard to change and very, very expensive?

Regards
Karl.H

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, those bulbs (I believe they are the type 1044 for 1954) are rare and expensive. You have to remove the assembly from the car to push with your fingers the 3 pins(spring loaded) locating the bulb. The first time I tried to install a similar bulb without pushing the pins, I broke it.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

novis

Yes, I have  removed the bulbs  a couple of times. It´s hard work.

Somebody told me there is new lampholder for standard bulbs, but I can not find.

thanks
Karl.H

Bill Ingler #7799

If you are going to remove or install a 1022 for 6 volt or 1044 for 12 volt, always put your fingers as close to the base as possible before turning. Then push in on the metal flange of the bulb base before turning the bulb left or right for removing or installation. Holding the bulb high on the glass, then pushing and turning, puts too much torque on the part of the bulb glass near the metal base and you can break the bulb.    Bill

novis

Thanks Bill. I know all that. I have done it many times. Said earlier post.

Thanks
Karl.H

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on September 09, 2017, 10:15:20 AM
If you are going to remove or install a 1022 for 6 volt or 1044 for 12 volt...
Bill, since 1953, Cadillacs have a 12V equipment!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Rich in Colorado

All,
Don't fear replacing those blubs.  Be careful, I turn the base with a small screw driver.  Slow until they pop off.

But if you do break them, buy new ones at www.replacementlightbulbs.com.  I have a '58 Fleetwood that uses 1044's.  I found the replacement for $5 here.  Knowing they are expensive and hard to find, I bought a lifetime supply, 4 bulbs.  $27.58 with shipping.  Less than one bulb anywhere else.  They work great, turn signals work fine, so they are the correct resistance.  (They have a 6 volt, 1022, for $10)  All are in stock.

BTW, when I called to order the 1044's, the guy said "sorry those are so expensive, $5, must be a rare bulb". 

Don't Fear,
Rich in Colorado
Rich in Colorado
1958 Fleetwood Sixty Special
1928 Ford Model A
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1963 Dodge Power Wagon
1966 Ford F-250 (Dads Truck)

novis

Hello Rich,
Thanks for the tip about the lifetime supply? I looked at the site but can not find. My english is not so good when it comes to technical item. Please, can you guide me the right way?

BTW it´s 12 v

Do you know if they will ship to Sweden?

Thanks in advance

K.H
Karl.H

Rich in Colorado

K.H.,

Sorry you are having a problem.  You should be able to type your part number in the search in the first screen and it will take you to a screen with all  of their miniature bulbs.  Their web site says they will ship international.  I haven't found the way to order on their web site.  I just call them.  US Number 800-692-3051.  Monday to Friday.

As far as what bulb you need, I'm not sure.  Mine is a 1044 but your earlier car could be a 1074.  Maybe someone on this forum can say.  Your service manual should say.  Or pull a bulb.

Good Luck,
From a displaced Swede,
Rich Carlson
Rich in Colorado
1928 Ford Model A
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1963 Dodge Power Wagon

novis

Ok. I have Wright to them.

This is the lamp.
Regards
Karl.H

J. Gomez

J. Gomez
CLC #23082

novis

Karl.H

Roger Zimmermann

If these bulbs are the correct 1044, they are rather "cheap". I used to pay about $25.00 for a NOS one. As I'm in Europe, I have my own reserve...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

novis

Rich,they are 1044. Do you have A picture on lifetime lamp?
Regards
Karl
Karl.H

Rich in Colorado

Karl,
When I said a bought a lifetime supply, I meant 4 was enough that I wouldn't have to buy any more.  The picture is the same as Gomez's Ebay link.  BTW, his ebay looks to be a even better deal than I had.  They also say they ship international.

Good luck,
Rich
Rich in Colorado
1928 Ford Model A
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1963 Dodge Power Wagon

novis

Karl.H

novis

Small foundation, there is possibly some kind of pliers/tong you can use to replace the lamp?
Thanks
Karl.H

David King (kz78hy)

As I learned the hard way twisting off a new China made lamp, I then used some of the super glue w/filler product and sprinkled that around the base to glass joint to securely fix the glass to the base before attempting to twist into position for installation.

I have good stock of 1074's from Westinghouse, these are NOS if anyone need them.  $25 ea.

http://www.keepemrunningautomotive.com/cadillac-exclusive-accessories.html

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

novis

> David King.   Is it $ 25 for one(1) lamp + shipping?

Thanks
Karl.H

J. Gomez

I had no problem installing or removing these from the sockets as long as the pins slide freely in the socket (springs and pins are prone to corrosion) and the base on the lens is clean as well. Applying a slight film of dielectric grease and/or petroleum jelly on the base allows an easy rotation of the bulb.

Granted the new one are not made to the old standards as the OEMs were that is why I purchase the bulk just in case.  ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082