News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Clear plastic lens for a 1967 Eldorado instrument cluster

Started by 67_Eldo, September 10, 2017, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

60eldo

Jon. Klu

67_Eldo

The concave clear plastic lens that protects the instrument cluster. It spans the entire cluster.

The first photo is a "before," up-close photo showing a scratch in the lens.

The second photo is a heartbreaking "after" photo, showing it glued back together to the extent possible.

Jeffrey Burland

These are 67 only, all models. I'll see if I have a decent one. thanks, Jeff
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

67_Eldo

67_Eldo

60eldo

How hard is it to take out a speedometer
Jon. Klu

67_Eldo

Quote from: 60eldo on September 15, 2017, 10:16:58 AM
   How hard is it to take out a speedometer
You've got a head start!  :)

However, removing a speedo isn't easy. After you take the dash pad off the top and get everything else disconnected/out of the way, there are six screws holding the instrument cluster to the large metal bezel. Five of those screws aren't too bad to get at, although the one directly beneath the clock is sort of awkward.

The sixth screw is over by the left air-conditioning ("Climate Control") duct. It is in a nasty position. First of all, you must remove the long plastic duct that runs over to that outlet. The duct is held to the outlet vent with a screw (on top, easy) and a clip on the left (inside the duct). I only found this out after the fact since I ultimately took a wire saw and hacked the long duct into three pieces I could yank out the top. I do *not* recommend my technique.  :)

Even after you get the duct out of the way, the sixth screw is nestled right in the middle of the bezel. I thought I could use u-joint adapters to get at it from the top, but I couldn't. I finally used a combination of a u-joint and a flexible shaft -- along with lots of blind hit-or-miss feeling around -- to get the head of the socket onto the screw and take it out (slowly). I will never reinstall that screw.

On the whole, if you're going to part the car out, I'd pull the whole dashboard -- bezel and superstructure -- out first (moving slowly to make sure you don't scratch or tear anything) and then take the rest of it apart then. That would be sooooo much easier than wiggling around on your back while jamming your hands up against all the crap that those dashboards contain.

If you take the whole dash out at once, odds are that you'll be able to salvage (and sell) everything in there, including a left-side air-conditioning duct.  :)

The first picture attached below is of the screw. The air duct is on the left and the big black tube is the wiring harness routed down alongside the instrument panel.

The second picture illustrates what happens when my patience is exhausted.

Short answer to your question: Pretty hard.